• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Moving out of state CWP question

Hi all.

I recently moved from MA to SC but plan on visiting MA often and I'd like to still carry when I go there. I'm not sure if I should file the change of address form like normal or if I need to apply for an out of state permit. Has anyone had to deal with this?

Hi all.

I recently moved from MA to SC but plan on visiting MA often and I'd like to still carry when I go there. I'm not sure if I should file the change of address form like normal or if I need to apply for an out of state permit. Has anyone had to deal with this?

If you are a resident of MA now, then you need to file the hinge of address form for your LTC. You then have to apply for a MA NR LTC.

I kind of assumed I'd need it but I was hoping that they would be able to just transfer it or something. I need to wait 90 days to get my SC permit and then I'd need to send that to MA along with my application and wait who knows how long and hope they give me an unrestricted out-of-state permit which knowing Massachusetts seems unlikely.

I kind of assumed I'd need it but I was hoping that they would be able to just transfer it or something. I need to wait 90 days to get my SC permit and then I'd need to send that to MA along with my application and wait who knows how long and hope they give me an unrestricted out-of-state permit which knowing Massachusetts seems unlikely.

You can't just send away for your MA LTC. An MA NR LTC requires a yearly, in person, interview at Chelsea and the interview must be scheduled months in advance. There are threads about the process - its kind of a pain.

You can't just send away for your MA LTC. An MA NR LTC requires a yearly, in person, interview at Chelsea and the interview must be scheduled months in advance. There are threads about the process - its kind of a pain.

If you plan it well in advance, and know when you will be in Mass, let FRB know when you apply. They try to schedule interviews on dates that are compatible with applicants' schedules whenever possible.

You've got to be kidding me. I hate Massachusetts. I must have skimmed over that part. Looks like I'm not carrying when I go home.

Do you still have a residence here or are visiting often where you could be a dual resident? If not, yeah, the non resident LTC is in person, I think $100 and it is only good for 1 year, etc.

If you feel like they make it so much of a pain that people wouldn't want to go through that, you understand their thinking.

Do you still have a residence here or are visiting often where you could be a dual resident? If not, yeah, the non resident LTC is in person, I think $100 and it is only good for 1 year, etc.

My family still lives in the house I grew up in, how illegal would it be to just hold on to the resident permit and not change my address or anything? I did change the address to my parents house a little while before I moved.

My family still lives in the house I grew up in, how illegal would it be to just hold on to the resident permit and not change my address or anything? I did change the address to my parents house a little while before I moved.
did you just ask HOW illegal something would be? And then post your plan on a public forum?

I think it's less illegal to notify and then carry on the expired permit

I think it's less illegal to notify and then carry on the expired permit
carrying on an expired(not revoked or suspended) permit is a civil offense(fine) not criminal. At least it was. Not sure if law changed in that big one last year.

However, when you notify, they usually cancel not expire the permit, is my understanding from what folks have posted before.

You need to be a dual resident, not just coming to visit a few times a year or something. Also, you are suppose to notify your PD that you are moving.

did you just ask HOW illegal something would be? And then post your plan on a public forum?

It's a pretty reasonable question I think.. I guess I worded it poorly but I meant "is it illegal".

Anyways, it looks like it just isn't worth it. I might be able to get everything sorted out and get an appointment when I go up in May but I would only be able to use it for a few weekends in total until I had to get it renewed.

Also, you are suppose to notify your PD that you are moving.

You have 30 days to notify.

Last edited:
If you are a resident of SC (which you state in your post) then, you are not a resident of Mass.

I'd say that you need a NR LTC, now.

This is not necessarily true. Although it may not be the OP's situation, if you make a home in each state, then you are a resident of that state when you are there.

The second home could be a weekend or summer place, or just a place you keep for when you visit family.

Remember that you can be domiciled in only one place. Traditionally where you vote.

Don

I talked to the firearms records bureau in MA and they said what you all are saying. Once I submit the change of address forms, the police department where I applied will cancel the permit.

If you are a resident of SC (which you state in your post) then, you are not a resident of Mass.

I'd say that you need a NR LTC, now.

Its wherever you make a home. If you still have your room and keep clothes there and come up regularly, then you are by most interpretations a resident of that state when you are there. Please see citations below.

Don

https://www.atf.gov/questions-and-a...tate-and-owns-property-another-state-purchase

From Instructions for question 2 on ATF form 4473

2. If you are a U.S. citizen with two States of residence, you should list your current residence address in response to question 2 (e.g., if you are buying a firearm while staying at your weekend home in State X, you should list your address in State X in response to question 2).

From instructions for question 20 on ATF form 4473

if a U.S. citizen has two States of residence and is trying to buy a handgun in State X, he may provide a driver’s license (showing his name, date of birth, and photograph) issued by State Y and another government-issued document (such as a tax document) from State X showing his residence address.

By any chance did you "move" to SC to go to college, a military transfer, or for some other temporary or limited purpose?

Last edited:
By any chance did you "move" to SC to go to college, a military transfer, or for some other temporary or limited purpose?
Nope, none of that. But hey on the bright side, I don't have any permits whatsoever here and I'm buying a handgun next week. [emoji1]

Time to get on the non-resident train and expand where you can carry!
I'm scheduled for a SC cwp the weekend after next and then me and my girl are getting our Utah permits together and we'll be able to carry in most of the country. [emoji1]

I'm not even going to bother with the MA permit. I'm so sick of dealing with them.

I'm scheduled for a SC cwp the weekend after next and then me and my girl are getting our Utah permits together and we'll be able to carry in most of the country. [emoji1]

I'm not even going to bother with the MA permit. I'm so sick of dealing with them.

How are you getting a SC cwp? Are you a SC resident? I'm curious because I'm now a Georgia resident and my understanding is that the only way to get a permit to carry in SC is to own land there...

How are you getting a SC cwp? Are you a SC resident? I'm curious because I'm now a Georgia resident and my understanding is that the only way to get a permit to carry in SC is to own land there...
Well I don't own land but I am a resident. I have a SC drivers license and live here. I've talked to a good amount of people about it down here and nobody mentioned the land thing.

Well I don't own land but I am a resident. I have a SC drivers license and live here. I've talked to a good amount of people about it down here and nobody mentioned the land thing.
The only instance in which South Carolina allows non-residents to obtain a CWP is if they own land in South Carolina.

There is no land ownership requirement for residents.

The only instance in which South Carolina allows non-residents to obtain a CWP is if they own land in South Carolina.

There is no land ownership requirement for residents.

I knew that, wasn't sure by his previous posts where he was a resident of. But thank you.

Back
Top Bottom