Moving out of MA (to FL) - Timing & Law

Hey Folks,

I just accepted a job in Florida and will be moving there in the next few months. The timing is that we'll sell our house in MA before buying in FL (plan to rent for a bit).
So potentially, I will not have permanent address in MA and neither in FL for a period of time.
Do I have to "surrender" my MA LTC immediately upon sale of primary residence? I plan to put my firearms in storage in MA until fully legal in FL. How do I move them to FL without MA LTC then?

I'm looking for clarity on what the law says and advice on dealing with situation.

Thanks in advance,
- Gusto

You don't need to store shit here, FL is mostly free by default. There's no licensing required to merely own guns in FL, only for carry. If it was me I would be getting my guns out of this shithole ASAP. (the P can mean "Practical" too, lol)

-Mike

Thanks Mike!
FOPA should cover me for transport there. Right?
I was thinking of getting a non-res FL license until fully settled, but you say it’s not even needed.

Thanks again,
- G

Welcome to Florida, where I live part time. When you move from Massachusetts, notify by certified mail the licencing town of your new address, this will effectively void your Massachusetts license. Do it when you get to Florida. as for transporting them you will be legal in Florida as there is no permit requirement to own or purchase a handgun or rifle so you can transport under the firearms owners protection act. Personally I just locked them up in the trunk unloaded and go. Don't stop overnight north of North Carolina. I understand the Florida licensing processes is fairly easy those of us in New Hampshire don't have to worry about it as our New Hampshire licenses are accepted in Florida. When I change my residency I will get a new Florida license. if you do have something that is made out of unobtainium in Massachusetts you may want to consider selling it and helping the cause here and replacing it once you get to Florida. What part of Florida are you going to?

I’m moving to Indy and i’m not telling anyone...well, except the internet.

Let them come looking for me at my current address when the assault weapons confiscation process starts...oh, the looks on the new owners faces :D

Seriously though...what incentive do you have to tell them anything? As far as the feds are concerned, you’re not breaking any laws...who gives a single shit about what MA thinks?

P.S. good luck with the move!

If you ever want to apply for a non-resident license and you do not follow chapter 140 it may be an issue

Thanks Appraiser!
All good advice!!!

I have some “rare in MA” pieces that will stay behind. :)

I’m moving to Miami area. If you there as well, I’m up for range therapy sometime. ;-)

Making the list as I type this...
With only 4 personal transfers, have to be selective. :-(

If you have pistols that predate the consumer protection silliness, you could put them on consignment at a dealer, which won’t count against the four personal sales.

If you have pistols that predate the consumer protection silliness, you could put them on consignment at a dealer, which won’t count against the four personal sales.
Thanks!
I’ll put what I can on consignment or FFL transfer to save on personal transfers. It’s the Maura’s ban and those self-shootings Glocks that’s the challenge. ;-)

I am over on the west coast Fort Myers I don't get to Miami very often. there is a beautiful outdoor range near me at Babcock Webb ranch which is open to the public on the honor system for $5 a day. Plus there are about a half-dozen indoor ranges within 15 miles of my house. Lots of gun shows in Florida

In brief, FOPA says you can transport through states that you're not licensed in as long as you're legal in your origin and your destination; and the firearm(s) and ammunition are locked and separate.

In your shoes, I'd get a Florida non-resident permit now. It's easy to get, accepted in multiple states, and covers you. Then convert it to a resident permit once you've established residency.

As far as your Mass permit goes, I'd not burn any bridges. Hard to tell what the future might bring. I have no clue what "chapter 140" is, but why create an issue?

In your shoes, I'd get a Florida non-resident permit now. It's easy to get, accepted in multiple states, and covers you. Then convert it to a resident permit once you've established residency.
Thanks!
The issue is timing, as I’m likely relinquish my MA LTC before establishing FL residence. So for a period I’ll be state-less, not sure how it works with non-res permit. I’ll move the Firearms to FL storage while resident of MA, then will pull them out after becoming a resident of FL.

The timing is that we'll sell our house in MA before buying in FL (plan to rent for a bit).
So potentially, I will not have permanent address in MA and neither in FL for a period of time.

Wherever you "rent" will be your residence. Nothing says it must be permanent. Do you plan to rent in Mass or Florida?

Do I have to "surrender" my MA LTC immediately upon sale of primary residence?
No law says you have to "surrender" anything,
nor should you.

Correctly following the notification process
downgrades certain crimes to civil offenses.

I was thinking of getting a non-res FL license until fully settled
Can you even get a Florida non-resident license,
once you only reside inside of Florida?

When you move from Massachusetts, notify by certified mail the licencing town of your new address,
And the commissioner of the Department of Criminal Justice Information Services.

And spring for Return Receipt Requested,
so you can prove that they received the notification.

... this will effectively void your Massachusetts license.
(Paging @Rob Boudrie ...)

Don't stop overnight north of North Carolina.
More importantly,
  1. Don't break traffic laws.
  2. Don't break down on the side of the road.
  3. Don't dine or lodge in sketchy areas where your car can get broken in to.
  4. (According to my late cousin the long-distance yacht transporter, south of the Mason-Dixon line) don't stop to nap at night at any parking lot not protected by concertina wire - you'll wake with your throat slit.
  5. Don't play stupid games by openly moving guns'n'ammo between your car and your lodging. You'll be swatted by anyone who sees you.
Welcome to Florida, where I live part time. ... When I change my residency I will get a new Florida license.
If you're a Florida resident and a Florida license is as awesome as people say,
maybe get a Florida resident license?
After all, it's called a "Florida resident license" -
not a "non-Florida non-resident license".

(Unless you're on the cusp of moving inside Florida
and don't want to bother with a prompt address change?)

Wherever you "rent" will be your residence. Nothing says it must be permanent.
^ This.

Wherever you "rent" will be your residence. Nothing says it must be permanent. Do you plan to rent in Mass or Florida?
Thanks Swatgig,
You’re right!
I’ll rent in FL temporarily until buying in FL.
So I’ll apply for a permit as soon as I rent...

No law says you have to "surrender" anything,
nor should you.

Correctly following the notification process
downgrades certain crimes to civil offenses.

I wasn't aware of this...that's an excellent bit of info though.

My whole point of not telling anyone is that MA isn't likely going to be in a position to 'come back to'. All signs are pointing in the direction of confiscation and that's why I'm gtfo of here while I still can.

I just renewed last spring, so the way I look at it, I have 5 years free pass to decide if I want to come back...after that, I'll probably just stay where I am.

FL only has one license, it is neither a resident or non-resident license. There is no address on it. Converting from a "NR FL license" (such as it is) to a "Resident FL license" only involves notification of a change of address.

Doing the process "locally" in FL shaves a lot of time off the process and also is significantly cheaper (I am told), plus renewals are cheaper for Residents than NRs. Apparently they only keep fingerprints on file for residents and they charge to run them, thus a cost differential.

Correctly following the notification process has nothing to do with the protection provided by an expired MA license. An expired MA license remains protective provided that (a) You have not become a state PP; (b) You have not applied for renewal and been denied; and (c) your LTC has not been revoked for any reason other than failure to file a change of address.

It appears you need a lesson in the finer points of MGL as evidenced by this and your unfounded declaration "becomes void if you move". You would do well to take the Len S class on Mass Gun Laws before you continue to mislead people by getting the big stuff correct and messing up the subtle details.

More importantly,
I will add "do not allow even part of ANY gun license to show when you open your wallet and remove the driving license." I know of a NY case where a driver was hassled over guns in upstate NY because the cop recognized his CT permit, and was only saved big hassle because a cop was a passenger (who let the hassle go on a while for entertainment before he badge ended the issue).

Last edited:
I am over on the west coast Fort Myers I don't get to Miami very often. there is a beautiful outdoor range near me at Babcock Webb ranch which is open to the public on the honor system for $5 a day. Plus there are about a half-dozen indoor ranges within 15 miles of my house. Lots of gun shows in Florida

Did they used to call that Cecil Webb (in Charlotte County)? I used to shoot there back around '92-'93.

Moved to FL in 2016 and had a FL non-resident license. Sent a letter to the town I left and one to the MA state commission. When in FL, all you have to do is log into the firearms license web site and change your address to keep the state informed of your address. My MA license will expire at the end of this year and I will just let it go. If I do a check of a gun transfer at the MA web site, it says my license is still valid in MA. The only difference is the address, it's FL. I did receive a bump stock letter, addressed to me in FL when that law went into affect. Hope this helps.

I put guns and ammo under the suv rear floor compartment and piled everything else on top when we made the move, guns stayed with me.

Back
Top Bottom