Moving out of MA - Change of Address (yes, another thread about that...)

You are correct, I was just assuming. I had an original post where I said that I didn’t think there was anything in MA law requiring you to report moving out of state, but I ditched it when I didn’t have time to actually confirm it. Made the mistake of assuming that M.G.L. was reasonable. Problem is it seems way too hard to confirm that something isn’t in our convoluted laws. You can never be sure you haven’t missed some case law or some strange corner of M.G.L. Next time I’ll just keep my mouth shut unless I have specifically researched it.
Coherent might be a better word.

Under MGL only handguns and SBRs are "firearms". A MA firearms ID card allows you to possess shotguns and low cap rifles but not firearms.

And then there is the whole zoobow thing.

My MA LTC was like a boat to me. The second best day I ever had was when I first got it (moving in from Maryland to a green town) and the best day I ever had was when I did nothing and just let it expire (moved to VA).

Do nothing and carry on. When dealing with .gov, there are some situations where you can get screwed if you try to do the right thing, and nobody cares if you don't.

I moved from MA in 2017. I did not leave a forwarding address. Did not notify my hometown CoP I was leaving, or tell the FLRB either.

The *only* reason I could ever see this biting me in the ass is if I ever wanted to move back to MA, and get an LTC.

That is highly likely never going to happen.

I heard, but not yet, the bill was signed and it should take affect sometimes in August if I am not mistaken.
Yes. The 18th.

BTW. When you apply for your CWP use identogo IdentoGO

They will submit your application and prints digitally and you'll get your CWP in 2-3 weeks instead of months.

Oh ya, I almost forgot it is free now also!! Yep that's right ma**h***s, the SC CWP is free, renewals are $5.

McMaster Signs Open Carry & Free CWP Bill. Today, Governor Henry McMaster signed House Bill 3094 into law. This bill allows citizens who hold a Concealed Weapons Permit (CWP) to carry a handgun in the manner they choose, whether openly or concealed. In addition, it also eliminates the $50 application fee for a CWP...

There is also a provision where, if you contact SLED and tell them you can't afford the cost of the safety course, they are required to provide you with a course that meets the requirements for no more than $50. So while the north is imploding re-gunzzzz, SC is making it just about as easy as possible to carry short of const. carry.

Last edited:
Yes. The 18th.

BTW. When you apply for your CWP use identogo IdentoGO

They will submit your application and prints digitally and you'll get your CWP in 2-3 weeks instead of months.

Oh ya, I almost forgot it is free now also!! Yep that's right ma**h***s, the SC CWP is free, renewals are $5.

There is also a provision where, if you contact SLED and tell them you can't afford the cost of the safety course, they are required to provide you with a couse that meets the requirements for no more than $50. So while the north is imploding re-gunzzzz, SC is making it just about as easy as possible to carry short of const. carry.

Thanks! Didn't know about the IdentoGO for the prints.
Still surprised that they won't accept "live fire" requirement from another state and you have to go through the whole process/class.

Still surprised that they won't accept "live fire" requirement from another state and you have to go through the whole process/class.
State insurance liability laws usually are the reason for this. You can say my live fire experience was from when I lived in Chicago!!

It's more about the SC law training than it is the shooting. The silhouette target at the course was literally the size of a 500 lb man maybe 600. It was so huge you could hit it if you were facing the wrong way. [laugh] The sheriff det. instructor I had didn't GAF. 5 targets 5 people shooting at a time and he never changed the targets.

By the time the 3rd group shot they were shooting through a bowling ball sized hole in the target. You need to hit paper 30-35 times out of 50 and I do mean just hit paper. The written test was pathetically simple, no one in the class scored below 98. Seriously, they practically give the license to you.

Also it is a 5 yr license, so no background check when you buy a gun. Just fill out the 4473 and pay. Also it is good in 36 states! No go in MA, NY, DE, MD, CT, RI, PA, WA, OR, CA, HI, IL or CO. GTG everywhere else.

Let's see ...

You will do so, because you don't know what hurdles you will have to jump through moving forward.

So, instead of doing it the right way via certified mail, you will do it the wrong way, meaning they can deny they ever received anything.

Smart move to save a buck. :rolleyes:
Well without dumping tons of useless information the chances of me returning to MA once I move to Maine (and that is pending shortly) is about as close to zero as you can get.
Im not much worried about returning as I am of states rescinding CC thus the reason for keeping my non resident active.
My MA LTC was like a boat to me. The second best day I ever had was when I first got it (moving in from Maryland to a green town) and the best day I ever had was when I did nothing and just let it expire (moved to VA).

Do nothing and carry on. When dealing with .gov, there are some situations where you can get screwed if you try to do the right thing, and nobody cares if you don't.
point.

Or you can show the certificate from MA when you apply here ;)
Many instructors are having themselves written for a liability policy for the training portion and a umbrella for potential lawsuits post training in the event a student goes all FBI WACO!!!

SC has many good things gun wise and is free of a huge amount of MA BS. But, their carry laws are designed for "ordinary people carrying" whereas states with older laws tend not to have as many no-go zones because they were designed to keep the wrong kind of people (members of disfavored ethnicities, religions, socio-economic status) from being armed.

If the SC law info I have read is a correct there is a laundry list of "no guns even for licensees" zones in SC including police stations, medical clinics or churches without permission from the facility, day care, etc. (the list goes on and on and on), plus the state has binding signage.

Last edited:
Many instructors are having themselves written for a liability policy for the training portion and a umbrella for potential lawsuits post training in the event a student goes all FBI WACO!!!
Learn the differences between a claims made vs occurrence based policy if you want to rely on that umbrella policy.

SC has many good things gun wise and is free of a huge amount of MA BS. But, their carry laws are designed for "ordinary people carrying" whereas states with older laws tend not to have as many no-go zones because they were designed to keep the wrong kind of people (members of disfavored ethnicities, religions, socio-economic status) from being armed.

If the SC law info I have read is a correct there is a laundry list of "no guns even for licensees" zones in SC including police stations, medical clinics or churches without permission from the facility, day care, etc. (the list goes on and on and on), plus the stat has binding signage.

There are some exceptions to the limitations. Like you can carry on school property if you are licensed and stay in your car (picking up your kid etc...) or if you lock the gun in your glovebox. You can also carry on the school grounds if it is being used for church related matters and the church said OK.

Personally I'm fine with binding sineage because "my house my rules" doesn't apply to only me. I would rather know a place is owned by antis before I spend any money there. Anywhere else, well since the only penalty is max $200 fine and or 30 days, if I'm really that concerned and have to go somewhere, concealed is concealed.

What really caught my eye were these gems from the new law...

Open carrying of weapons

SECTION 8. Section 23-31-520 of the 1976 Code is amended to read:

"Section 23-31-520. (A) Notwithstanding another provision of law, a governing body of a county, municipality, or political subdivision may temporarily restrict the otherwise lawful open carrying of a firearm on public property when a governing body issues a permit to allow a public protest, rally, fair, parade, festival, or other organized event. However, if a permit is not applied for and issued prior to an event as described in this subsection, a county, municipality, or political subdivision may not exercise the provisions of this subsection. A person or entity hosting a public protest, rally, fair, parade, festival, or other organized event must post signs at the event when open carrying is allowed or not allowed at the event.

(B) A governing body exercising the authority granted to it pursuant to this section must be specific in the area, duration, and manner in which the restriction is imposed and must provide prior notice of the restriction when feasible. In no event may the restriction extend beyond the beginning and conclusion of the event or beyond the location of the event. The duration of an event may not be scheduled for such a length of time as to frustrate the intent of this section.

(C) A county, municipality, or political subdivision may not confiscate a firearm or ammunition for a violation of this section unless incident to an otherwise lawful arrest."

Concealed and open carrying of weapons

SECTION 9. A. Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23 of the 1976 Code is amended by adding:

"Section 23-31-250. (A) The State of South Carolina, and its political subdivisions, cannot be compelled by the federal government to take any legislative or executive action to implement or enforce a federal law, treaty, executive order, rule, or regulation related to an individual's right to keep and bear arms enshrined in the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution that limits or proscribes carrying concealable weapons, whether concealed or openly carried, as provided in this chapter.

(B) Any federal law, treaty, executive order, rule, or regulation related to limiting or proscribing the carry of concealable weapons must be evaluated by the Attorney General. The Attorney General shall issue a written opinion of whether the law, treaty, executive order, rule, or regulation purports to compel legislative or executive action prohibited pursuant to subsection (A).

(C) If the Attorney General renders an opinion that a federal law, treaty, executive order, rule, or regulation purports to compel legislative or executive action prohibited pursuant to subsection (A), then:

(1) no public funds of this State, or any political subdivision of this State, shall be allocated for the implementation or enforcement of that federal law, treaty, executive order, rule, or regulation;

(2) no personnel or property of this State, or any political subdivision of this State, shall be allocated to the implementation or enforcement of that federal law, treaty, executive order, rule, or regulation; and

(3) no official, agent, or employee of the State of South Carolina, or any political subdivision of it, shall implement, attempt to implement, enforce, or attempt to enforce that federal law, treaty, executive order, rule, or regulation."

B. This SECTION takes effect upon approval by the Governor.

SC may not be perfect.... but I'll take it.

There are some exceptions to the limitations. Like you can carry on school property if you are licensed and stay in your car (picking up your kid etc...) or if you lock the gun in your glovebox. You can also carry on the school grounds if it is being used for church related matters and the church said OK.

Personally I'm fine with binding sineage because "my house my rules" doesn't apply to only me. I would rather know a place is owned by antis before I spend any money there. Anywhere else, well since the only penalty is max $200 fine and or 30 days, if I'm really that concerned and have to go somewhere, concealed is concealed.

What really caught my eye were these gems from the new law...

SC may not be perfect.... but I'll take it.
The problem is places like quasi-public accommodations like shopping malls in the old days; stores; restaurants; etc. and the impracticality of avoiding any business where you disagree with the politics of management as you go about your daily business. Plus, the concept of giving churches special status is offensive. Are you OK with "my house my rules" allowing the banning of Pastafarians and Masai tribesmen?

And why should guns be carved out in law? Why not a law stating it is a criminal offense to possess any alcohol on the property ? Should a store with "a Trump Supporters Only" be able to have someone criminally prosecuted if it can be proven they campaigned for BIden?

As I mentioned, this is correlated to the age of the law. Most interesting was MIchigan - they added a laundry list at the time they went from may to shall issue. Those restrictions are in place to make sure the little people stay little people.

What is very good about SC is they don't have the MA thing of "even the slightest offense makes you a federal PP for life".

I searched the forums and read plenty of "change of address" threads with many different opinions on the matter.
Clearly I will notify my current licensing authority (Chief of Police) as well as FRB, as required by MA law. Meaning - I will notify them that as of a specific date, I will no longer be living in my current address and as a matter of fact will no longer be living in Massachusetts at all as I am moving out of state.

This is what the law says:

The state that I am moving "into" does not require a licesne to own firearms. You need a license to carry, but not to own. Basically, the requirement under MA M.G.L is referred to your license, not any firearms you own, so even if I do notify my new CoP "hey, I have a MA LTC and I moving to your town", I am sure his/her response will be along the line of "Who the hell cares and why are you wasting my time?".
Technically, the CoP of the jurisdiction that I will be moving to does not give a rat's ass about me and/or what I own or don't own.
In addition, the CoP of the jurisdiction that I will be moving to is not even a licensing authority that issues license to carry, it is a totall different authority within that state.

So why the hell am I obligated to notify anyone in the state of MASSACHUSETTS where I am moving to and/or my new address? It is none of their damn business. I will notify them that "I'm OUT" of course. But please educate me on why am I required to provide my new address. Notice how vauge the law is, it does not talk about moving out of state, only "moving" in general.
Moved to CA several years ago and now back to MA. After moving over called MA number to report change of address - did not want questions in CA when applying for license to carry. The person answered and said I was all good and did not need to notify town. After moving back to MA and doing renewal found out that my MA LTC timed out 2 years after CA move!

Ma has some deep programing of the brain. OP is all worried when moving away. Just leave and give the finger when you pass the state line.

So just as an update... I've been dragging my feet since I moved here and after 7+ yrs. finally decided to get my CWP. With how infrequently I leave my land and the car carry laws here I just hadn't bothered.

Anyhow, I had my identogo appointment on May 14th and just got off the phone with SLED who told me it was mailed out today. So that's 18 days total from the day I applied to the day they mailed it. Not a bad turnaround considering how many apps they are processing these days. Identogo is definitely the way to go.

To the OP -

When I moved from MA to NH, I notified all parties in MA. To my surprise, I later received a letter from the FRB (some time after I submitted a change of address), and when I later moved back to MA, my NH address was on file. The issuing officer actually showed me "the system", which had my NH address in it.. and my new LTC was handled as a standard renewal.

This. Don't bother, just move.

Back
Top Bottom