• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Moving MA to RI to MA/RI

Asking for family...he rents in MA and has his MA class A unrestricted and owns 1 pistol...he is moving into his girlfriend’s house which she owns in RI before the end of the year and he will pay rent there...and then they plan to move somewhere near the coast around the MA/RI line which may or may not be back in MA after a few years splitting the difference between their workplaces (he works in MA she works in RI)...he will have to change his mailing address to either RI or he does have family living in the same town that issued his class A where he also works everyday which he may be able to change his mailing address to

what would be the best approach for this situation?...he wants to keep the pistol and he would like to be able to carry in both states but in RI it’s a pain to get an unrestricted class A from what I had heard

Last edited:
Seems simple to me.....If he 'moves' to RI, then he becomes a RI resident and will need to follow RI laws to obtain a permit. As for MA, as a RI resident, he can apply for a non-resident permit for MA. It's an annual process, but trust me, renewing a non-res MA permit 4 times in four years is MUCH easier than renewing a RI AG permit once. Hopefully, your family member is not thinking he can live with his RI girlfriend, while maintaining MA residency. Border towns in RI frown on that kind of thing and have been known to crack down on homes that consistently have the same car with MA plates in the driveway. Hope it all works out for your family member.

Seems simple to me.....If he 'moves' to RI, then he becomes a RI resident and will need to follow RI laws to obtain a permit. As for MA, as a RI resident, he can apply for a non-resident permit for MA. It's an annual process, but trust me, renewing a non-res MA permit 4 times in four years is MUCH easier than renewing a RI AG permit once. Hopefully, your family member is not thinking he can live with his RI girlfriend, while maintaining MA residency. Border towns in RI frown on that kind of thing and have been known to crack down on homes that consistently have the same car with MA plates in the driveway. Hope it all works out for your family member.

He may also try and get his RI resident permit in the town he lives in, might be easier than going through the AG. Would be infinitely easier if he maintained MA residency/License to get a RI non-res than getting a RI res & a MA nonres permit. But if establishes residency in RI, looks like he's stuck. Definitely not worth trying to play the "but my mailing address is..." game.

Back
Top Bottom