• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Moving guns to another state?

I'll be relocating to the Southwest next year and the thought has occurred to me - how do I move a dozen guns from MA to AZ safely? Do moving companies handle such things or do I have to transfer everything through an FFL?

You throw that stuff in your car, out of sight, and hit the road. I would never rely on a moving company to move my guns. You could also just ship the guns to yourself, but that's liable to be a pain in the ass and very expensive.

-Mike

Moving to a free state, it might be worth your while to sell any "non list" guns to a MA resident before moving as the price for a new one will most likely be less than the MA premium. Kind of a win -win for everyone.

Call the sherriff's office of the county that you are moving to. I did this when I moved to AZ. Mind you, this was '95, I explained that I was licensed in MA and want to know what I needed to do to carry in AZ. Her response was "What? Honey, it's your God-given right to carry a gun". It's been a while but I doubt you need to go through an FFL. Enjoy your time there, beautiful state, great people, tolorable gun laws.

I'll be relocating to the Southwest next year and the thought has occurred to me - how do I move a dozen guns from MA to AZ safely? Do moving companies handle such things or do I have to transfer everything through an FFL?

Boy, have you been beat down by MA.

You throw that stuff in your car, out of sight, and hit the road. I would never rely on a moving company to move my guns. You could also just ship the guns to yourself, but that's liable to be a pain in the ass and very expensive.

This.

Arizona is outside the wire. You don't need the state's permission to own a gun in AZ. Just put them in your car, in accordance with FOPA, and drive to AZ.

^^ That

Moving companies generally don't want it and at least in my experience won't cover it under their insurance even if they will take 'em. Ammo is forbidden by every moving company I've seen. Drive it all there yourself in a manner compliant with FOPA.

You lock them in the truck and drive. Don't stop in NY or NJ.

The FFL is funny. Not being mean, but man that state really does condition people.

Almost. Dont even drive through NY or NJ. You could still be charged even if you are pulled over.

To get from MA to AZ, he has to drive through NY. The only alternative would be Canada and that is a non-starter.

And as long as he avoids the NY Port Authority, he'll be fine in NY State, provided he follows FOPA.

Sorry to add question on top of this. But what if fly from MA to AZ? once I am in AZ will be no problem even though technically I am not a resident yet?

Thanks,

Sorry to add question on top of this. But what if fly from MA to AZ? once I am in AZ will be no problem even though technically I am not a resident yet?

Once again, you do not need to have permission to possess a firearm in AZ. That is true whether you are a resident or non-resident.

It sounds like it'll be a bit of a shock for you, living in free America (read: a place where owning a firearm doesn't automatically somehow imply that you are psychologically unstable and/or a potentially violent criminal).

Enjoy.

Maybe before you move out there you should take a couple baby steps and spend a day each OCing in Vermont and NH, both of which you don't need permission from anyone to do so. Sounds like you're about to have quite the epiphany with this move.

-Mike

I *almost* moved to Utah this spring. I stayed because I don't have a big enough trunk.

Research FOPA, comply with that, don't speed or dilly dally in NY or NJ and enjoy the trip.

NY state can be funny about things depending on the county your going through, though definately avoid anywhere NYC or NJ unless you want your guns taken yourself thrown in jail for a long time on absurd gun laws being broken.

^^^ Huh?

NYC is wack but...

NJ state police explicitly acknowledge that FOPA governs if the peaceable travel conditions are met. All the NJ wack arrest cases have to do with air travelers taking possession of their firearms during a layover. That's what M1911 means by avoiding the Port Authority. Drive through consistent with FOPA and you should be fine.

^^^ Huh?

NYC is wack but...

NJ state police explicitly acknowledge that FOPA governs if the peaceable travel conditions are met. All the NJ wack arrest cases have to do with air travelers taking possession of their firearms during a layover. That's what M1911 means by avoiding the Port Authority. Drive through consistent with FOPA and you should be fine.

Doesn't mean they can't make your life hell just like MA can and will if they don't like you. Proving in court you were obeying FOPA can be expensive. Best bet is to keep to ruralish NY area and get to PA is quickly as possibly, stop before you leave MA and don't stop again until you are in PA. Once in PA you're pretty clear sailing out to AZ.

-Mike

This. The thread should have ended here.

UPS/USPS them to yourself at the new address.

epicfailv.jpg

Back
Top Bottom