• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Moving from NH to MA

DUPE! Yeah, Yeah, blah blah blah[wink]... A friend of mine moved to NH about a year ago. While living there he purchased his first handgun, now he's moving back to MA. What does he need to do?

In terms of physical aspect, he needs to leave his 10+ round mags in NH. Depending on what they are, I may be willing to pick them up and .... foster them until he returns.

In Legal terms, I believe he simply has to apply for his LTC and bring his firearms with him when he moves, but I'm sure the legal beagles will be along to provide more detail if necessary.

I believe any firearm can come with you as long as it complies with the assualt weapons ban. And the 10 round magazine restrictions. So in his case as posted above likely just needs to leave standard cap mags and get 10 rounders.

In terms of physical aspect, he needs to leave his 10+ round mags in NH. Depending on what they are, I may be willing to pick them up and .... foster them until he returns.

In Legal terms, I believe he simply has to apply for his LTC and bring his firearms with him when he moves, but I'm sure the legal beagles will be along to provide more detail if necessary.

No 10+ mags, his first (and only) is a Sig 1911.

First, he needs to research the town(s) that he's moving to. Moving to a RED town, when a green one is available, is just giving him more stress for no reason.

Second, when he takes up residence, he needs to apply for an LTC. He cannot do this, until he takes up residence (unless he wants to apply for an non-resident LTC).

He needs to take an approved safety course, before applying. This can be done before he moves, but it must be from an MSP BFS Instructor. An NRA Basic Pistol course, for instance, from an instructor in another state won't cut it. He needs the Mass. Cert.!

As noted above, post-ban large caps are verboten.

The firearms must be properly stored, and not carried or transported by him, until he receives his LTC.

There is no requirement that the .gov be notified as to what is being brought in.

First, he needs to research the town(s) that he's moving to. Moving to a RED town, when a green one is available, is just giving him more stress for no reason.

Second, when he takes up residence, he needs to apply for an LTC. He cannot do this, until he takes up residence (unless he wants to apply for an non-resident LTC).

He needs to take an approved safety course, before applying. This can be done before he moves, but it must be from an MSP BFS Instructor. An NRA Basic Pistol course, for instance, from an instructor in another state won't cut it. He needs the Mass. Cert.!

As noted above, post-ban large caps are verboten.

The firearms must be properly stored, and not carried or transported by him, until he receives his LTC.

There is no requirement that the .gov be notified as to what is being brought in.

Thank you MisterHappy! Greatly appreciated [grin]

I would also tel him to buy some glocks and XD's and then sell them here for a huge Ma markup

I wish I had thought about this before I drastically "thinned the herd" prior to moving back to Mass. I could have really made out.

Oh yes. I would tell him to buy a dozen Gen 4 Glocks (if he can get nuetered mags for them) and then sell them 4 per year after he moves

I thought that the "4 per year" limit is for FTF private sales. Can't you sell any number of firearms if you go through an FFL and pay the fee?

I wish I had thought about this before I drastically "thinned the herd" prior to moving back to Mass. I could have really made out.

Everyone says this but imo its more myth than reality.

-Mike

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yes. I would tell him to buy a dozen Gen 4 Glocks (if he can get nuetered mags for them) and then sell them 4 per year after he moves

There are 100 other guns id do this with before glocks.

Everyone says this but imo its more myth than reality.

-Mike

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for that Mike...That makes me feel a little bit better.

I still regret selling many of the ones I did though.

Bob

BTW...back to the OP, as some one has already suggested, look for a green town, if it is an option.

Last edited:
I thought that the "4 per year" limit is for FTF private sales. Can't you sell any number of firearms if you go through an FFL and pay the fee?

Most ffl's wont do the transfer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

we are talking about guns you can't buy through an FFL in MA and must do FTF

Quick call out from MisterHappy's excellent post -- I got my cert from Sig in epping NH. They take the last 45mins (for those who need it) to cover the koo-koo-bananas MA stuff and certify you.

Back
Top Bottom