Moving from Massachusetts to Maine

Hi, I'm going to be moving from Massachusetts to Maine and I just want to make sure that I stay all legal as far as my legally owned and registered guns. Does anyone know if there is anything special that I need to do, so as, to stay compliant with all laws. I've been told that I'm supposed to write a letter and file something with Massachusetts State Police and the feds stating that I moving what not. Is this B.S. or not? Any help would be awesome, thanks.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

No, MGL Requires that you send 2 letters by CERTIFIED MAIL ONLY to the FRB and issuing chief to notify them of your move. There are online forms available but there is no legal requirement to use them.

We suggest that you send the Certified Mail with "return receipt requested" to keep as proof that you did as you had to.

Welcome to the forum!

As Len stated, the only notification required is to the the licensing authority who issued your LTC, and the CHSB, via certified mail within 30 days...

MGL 140-131 said:
[...]Any licensee shall notify, in writing, the licensing authority who issued said license, the chief of police into whose jurisdiction the licensee moves and the executive director of the criminal history systems board of any change of address. Such notification shall be made by certified mail within 30 days of its occurrence. Failure to so notify shall be cause for revocation or suspension of said license.[...]

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section131

ETA: The bolded portion is moot, as you are not moving within MA.

No, MGL Requires that you send 2 letters by CERTIFIED MAIL ONLY to the FRB and issuing chief to notify them of your move. There are online forms available but there is no legal requirement to use them.

We suggest that you send the Certified Mail with "return receipt requested" to keep as proof that you did as you had to.
Thanks

Welcome to the forum!

As Len stated, the only notification required is to the the licensing authority who issued your LTC, and the CHSB, via certified mail within 30 days...

Thank you that makes a bit more sense than the info I'd been given prior.
Thanks

Welcome to the forum!

Some questions about this, makes perfect sense when you move inside the state but why should you have to bother when you are self-deporting from the People's Republic? Does this mean that your LTC gets updated with your out of state address or does it just enable them to cancel it faster? Also would this mean that someone would send notification to your new local out of state PD that you and your guns are in town?

Some questions about this, makes perfect sense when you move inside the state but why should you have to bother when you are self-deporting from the People's Republic? Does this mean that your LTC gets updated with your out of state address or does it just enable them to cancel it faster? Also would this mean that someone would send notification to your new local out of state PD that you and your guns are in town?

From my understanding, if you fail to inform your prior COP in MA, they can revoke your LTC. However, becoming a resident of a new state already revokes your MA resident LTC. I am not a lawyer, but I don't see any actual penalty to not informing them in writing. Maybe if you plan to move back to MA you might get shit over it.

YMMV; I'm not saying I did or didn't do any such thing on a public forum.

From my understanding, if you fail to inform your prior COP in MA, they can revoke your LTC. However, becoming a resident of a new state already revokes your MA resident LTC. I am not a lawyer, but I don't see any actual penalty to not informing them in writing. Maybe if you plan to move back to MA you might get shit over it.

YMMV; I'm not saying I did or didn't do any such thing on a public forum.

It also may mess with him trying to get a Mass non-res, however I'm not from Mass originally.

Anyways, OP, congrats and enjoy Maine!

This, he would be precluded from getting a non-res LTC, or re-applying if he had the misfortune of having to move back here.

Also if he notifies and at some point foolishly is caught with a spent cartridge case or even a gun in MA, he would NOT be able to be convicted of a crime! It's merely a civil $ penalty. [Notification of moving out of state is supposed to result in an administrative cancelling, not a revocation.]

If he doesn't notify and they find out, they will revoke his LTC and then if caught in MA with anything he'd face a felony charge.

Back
Top Bottom