• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Moving from MA to northcentral NY

Just as the title says, I am moving from Cambridge, MA to Schenectady, NY. Can someone please tell me if I can bring all of my rifles/shotguns/pistols with me? My post ban assult rifles are neutered because I am in MA. I am hearing conflicting information regarding handgun ownership laws. Please note that I am nowhere near NYC. I have searched the NY gun law section but I do not see any posts concerning general gun laws.

I would appreciate if someone could at least answer me two questions:

1.) Am I allowed owning rifles/shotguns/handguns in my house without any special licensing?

2.) Where can I look to see the requirements for concealed carry?

I would appreciate answers to these questions and any other information you feel is important.

Can someone please tell me if I can bring all of my rifles/shotguns/pistols with me? My post ban assult rifles are neutered because I am in MA.

They have basically the same AWB that we have here. NY Penal Law

Am I allowed owning rifles/shotguns/handguns in my house without any special licensing?

Rifles and shotguns do not require a license.

Where can I look to see the requirements for concealed carry?

Application instructions: http://www.schenectadycounty.com/usercontrol/Pistol Permit Instructions_j22DV.pdf.file

Licensing statutes: http://www.ypdcrime.com/penal.law/article400.htm

Thank you for the response. After doing more digging, it seems that you are right in that I can bring in my long guns without any problems, but I need to get a permit to bring in my handguns. Guess I will be leaving my handguns at a family member's house in PA.

Any more advice/tips regarding NYS gun laws would be great.

Am I allowed owning rifles/shotguns/handguns in my house without any special licensing?

You're in luck. NY State has a "speedy handgun permit law". The issuing authority (The country judge via the county clerk's office in upstate NY) must either inform you of the decision on your application or explain why there is a delay within 6 months of submission.

Also, MA has a "restatement" of the federal AW ban that is very similar to the one in MA.

Where can I look to see the requirements for concealed carry?

A NY pistol permit (the NY term for an LTC) is similar to the one in MA (i.e., not valid in schools, no laundry list of prohibited areas) , except that it is also not valid in NYC. Instead of "Green, red and black towns", NY has "green, red and black counties" - with the policies on restrictions ranging from "everyone gets an unrestricted carry license" to "target only except for persons of privilege, power and influence".

Last edited:
Glad I found this thread. Is there a map/ list of counties that are more firearms friendly? That would help in the deciding were to move.

We are planning a move to upstate NY in the next year or two (got to sell my dang house in MA first).

No desire to move anyplace near NYC.

If you stay out of the zone from the city of Albany to Saratoga, all the rural counties are very long gun friendly. My wife's family has property in Green county (south of Albany) and neighbors are shooting all the time.

They have basically the same AWB that we have here. NY Penal Law

Rifles and shotguns do not require a license.

Maybe I'm wrong, but Section 22 (Assault Weapons) specifically calls out brands and models (and replicas thereof) in 22.d. Colt AR-15 is listed there, so unless you have a pre-ban AR it looks like those are prohibited in NYS. I hope someone can prove me wrong.

Back
Top Bottom