Moving from MA to NH

Hello All,

I am new to the forum and have a quick question. I am moving from MA to NH and I am wondering what kind of task awaits me when it comes to my firearms.

I have a LTC in MA and own just two shotguns. I assume as soon as I leave MA my LTC will be null and void. Is this correct?

I understand NH laws are no where near restrictive as MA so I am wondering what I need to do when I move (aside from notifying MA)?

Thanks,

Jim

In NH? absolutely nothing, no registration/inspection/safe needed.

If you eventually get a handgun and want to carry that concealed you just fill out a form with your local PD, wait a week, and then pay $10 for 4 years.

(by the way, welcome to the forum)

You do need to send letters by certified mail to the chief of the MA town who issued your LTC and to the Criminal Systems History Board.

IANAL, but it is my understanding that you don't need to notify anyone in NH -- you don't need their permission to own guns there. You may want to apply for a NH concealed carry permit. They're shall-issue.

LUCKY!!!

Welcome to the board! Best of luck with the move and realize that we all hate that you can now buy hundreds of guns and accessories that we in the PRM can't...Bastard!!! [wink]

Welcome to the forum jnick! Once you get to NH and have a taste of real freedom, do be sure to let the rest of us stuck here in MA know what it feels like. [smile] [wink]

Just two words...

Suppressed 10/22, you can have one built up for you at State Line in Mason if he still does that.

If you look at the law regarding the LTC it is not stipulated that once you move out of state that the license is no longer valid, but rather only if it expires and or it is revoked.

Though now that I posted it some legislime in MA will get wind of this and change the law or at least get the AG to create some consumer issue with it.

I think that Ron Glidden has stated at least once, long ago, that once you move out of MA, the MA LTC is null and void instantly. Don't know where or if it is in the law or CMRs, but I'd be very surprised if MA did anything different than that. The local chief can revoke at any time . . . upon notice of moving since person is no longer "suitable" since they no longer live in MA. I'm sure that a liberal MA judge would uphold that in a heartbeat!

Hi All,

Thanks for your responses and the warm welcome to the forum. Sorry for my late response as I've been out of Town.

I will probably get some real evil glares when I say this....I have not decided to keep my Arms when I move. I will be getting married which is the reason for the move to NH. My Wife to be is not to crazy about firearms and honestly I have not used them in years.

At this point I am a little torn on what to do......in some ways it will be sad to lose my LTC as it's not an easy thing to get these days. I took a Hunter Safety Course when I was 14 (early 80's) and got my Cert in the mail when I turned 15 which allowed me to get my FID. When 18 came so did the LTC.

Anyway that is my life story...not that anyone asked ;-)

Your choice, of course.

But when I got married, I pointed out to my new wife that I had the guns and the motorcycle before I had her. Almost 19 years later, I still have all three. [smile]

Marriage is a roller coster of compromise. First, I have found that any person that sold their guns because the spouse didn't want them in the house was divorced within 5 years. You take a person as they are, if you like to have a gun around she should accept it. Even though you haven't used them in several years that doesn't mean you won't go back to shooting down the road.
My wife wasn't crazy about firearms in the house with young kids. I compromised, I don't leave any firearms loaded unless they are in a holster on my hip. I lockup any firearm that is not on me (this was before it was a law). Once she realized that unloaded firearms don't go bang (and how to check them to ensure they unloaded) and securing them ensures the kids don't play with them she was fine. All our kids have been taught to shoot and handle guns safely (as well as my wife). That is the most important thing, teaching your children. Twenty years later, the wife wants a gun in the house and wouldn't feel safe without one.

My opinion........for what it is worth.

Lynne said:
Once you get to NH and have a taste of real freedom, do be sure to let the rest of us stuck here in MA know what it feels like. [smile] [wink]

it feels pretty good...[smile]

welcome to the forum jnick...(you'll like NH better)[wink]

jnick, you gotta get her shooting. She will likely shoot pretty good, being a woman. My wife, if she has shot a bit, will typically kick my butt target shooting. Make sure she knows that she doesn't have to shoot a .45acp or a .338magnum rifle, but a .22 or something and get her educated about them. Everyone should be educated about them. It makes for a safer world. I bet she will think shooting is fun if she is not scared to handle guns.

LenS said:
I think that Ron Glidden has stated at least once, long ago, that once you move out of MA, the MA LTC is null and void instantly. Don't know where or if it is in the law or CMRs, but I'd be very surprised if MA did anything different than that. The local chief can revoke at any time . . . upon notice of moving since person is no longer "suitable" since they no longer live in MA. I'm sure that a liberal MA judge would uphold that in a heartbeat!

I guess they wouldn't be too happy then if a MA LTC holder took up residence in NH for a few months, bought as many non-MA compliant handguns as they could afford, then moved back to MA and legally brought those guns back with them.

She actually is interested in going to a Range to try it. She is not forcing me to get rid of the guns. She just isn't crazy about them. I plan to move Sept 1 so I need to decide what to do. I guess worse case I bring them to NH with me and if I decide to sell I can still do that.

I am still thinking from a MA point of view and not NH. MA makes nothing easy. It will be sad to see my LTC become invalid.

Well then you need to get her to a range.

I would caution against letting her try anything with a good amount of recoil, but just getting her to the range is a step in the right direction.

I think you should keep your guns, but that's just me, and I believe EVERY American should own a rifle, shotgun, and handgun.

Adam

Definately take her to the range. My wife didn't like the idea of guns in the house, but I talked to her about it, she tried out shooting at the recent women's shoot at MRA, she enjoyed it and wants me to buy "us" an AR-15, and last night there was a loud noise as we were getting to sleep (which I though was clothes falling down in the closet), I went to check it out to keep her happy and her first words were "I hope you have your gun".

(and yes, I was right, this morning she admitted that some of her clothes had fallen).

i am one lucky guy, my other half{soon to be wife,wedding next year}asked to go shooting with me when we first started dating six years ago.now i cant go to the range by myself anymore,i even had to buy her own gun, i guess using my spare wasnt good enough[smile]. i feel the same way as the rest if you can get your wife to go shooting with you maybe she will be more understanding of the gun issue.plus a .22 cost peanuts to shoot all day.

You can keep 'em at my place. :D

Nobody moves from MA to NH and GIVES UP their guns ... gotta be the other way around.

Best of luck with the convincing of the (future) spouse.

Back
Top Bottom