• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Moving from MA to NH

Prepper

NES Member
My search fu is bad today, so please bear with me while I confirm this is what I need to do. I have a LTC-A and a C&R. I'm moving from MA to NH.

For LTC-A, I need to use this form:
http://www.goal.org/Documents/frb_change_address.pdf

BUT only send it to the town I live in now, and to Chelsea, via certified mail. Can I do this the day after I have moved? I would assume the PD in NH don't need to know. And, on this form I still need to give my NH address even though it is outside the state?

And, C&R isn't really a MA issue, but I understand I need to use this form to notify BATF (by certified mail, I would assume):
AND send a copy of this form to the PD in NH with the usual letter explaining what I am notifying them of. AND, the MA PD don't need to know anything about this, right? I haven't found what time frame is required for doing this; can I do it right after I have moved? I have seen references to doing it before moving, but not on how far before moving. If the closing is messed up and I don't actually move, then I just notified them for no reason. So, I'd prefer the day after.

NH doesn't suck, so I'm all set on getting the resident carry permit after I have moved (I have a non-res NH permit now). But, it looks like the non-res MA permit is going to suck? I really have to make two drives into Chelsea in person? I'm a member of Harvard SC so I'll miss being unable to go there until I have this permit.

One more thing, is a locked pickup truck cap considered a suitable locked container for transport of all my guns and ammo between two states? I don't have enough trigger locks for all of them once I remove them from the safe, so they're just going to be in a big pile with cloth between them to protect them.

In NH, we don't care about your MA LTC.

Once you notify MA your MA LTC will no longer be valid, so yes you have to get one to go to Harvard to shoot for fun. If you are going to a match you are ok (as long as you don't bring any post ban evilness you acquire here). And yes it will suck- $100 per year with a visit to Chelsea...

No locking requirements here, just unloaded. Someone with MA knowledge will have to answer if it's ok in MA my opinion is no... my advice is do what you must and drive carefully so you don't get stopped or detained until you are over the border...

But IANAL so use your own best judgment...

What, a $100 per year? I have to be fingerprinted, etc. every year and make a visit to Chelsea? That will be one wasted day for me. Are you sure about that? If it is that bad, I just won't bother; I don't have that kind of time to waste.

I'm moving from MA to NH. For LTC-A, I need to use this form:

BUT only send it to the town I live in now, and to Chelsea, via certified mail. Can I do this the day after I have moved? I would assume the PD in NH don't need to know. And, on this form I still need to give my NH address even though it is outside the state?

There is no particular form required by law (nor are photocopies of your license required, as that form states). Notification must be sent via certified mail to the original issuing authority, and the FRB in Chelsea, within 30 days of its occurrence. Do not send it to the NH PD. Yes, you need to include your NH address.

And, C&R isn't really a MA issue, but I understand I need to use this form to notify BATF (by certified mail, I would assume):
AND send a copy of this form to the PD in NH with the usual letter explaining what I am notifying them of. AND, the MA PD don't need to know anything about this, right? I haven't found what time frame is required for doing this; can I do it right after I have moved?

I am unfamiliar with this process, but I am sure you don't use THAT form. [wink]

The FFLC can answer your questions:

Federal Firearms Licensing Center
244 Needy Road
Martinsburg, West Virginia 25405 USA
Voice (866) 662-2750 (Toll Free)
Fax (866) 257-2749 (Toll Free)
[email protected]

...it looks like the non-res MA permit is going to suck? I really have to make two drives into Chelsea in person?

Yes, non-resident permits cost $100 per year, and applicants must appear annually in Chelsea.

...is a locked pickup truck cap considered a suitable locked container for transport of all my guns and ammo between two states? I don't have enough trigger locks for all of them once I remove them from the safe...

IMO, if the cap has no windows AND is lockable, it would constitute a "locked container" under MA law, but IANAL. Also, FYI trigger locks are legally insufficient for transport under MA law.

My truck cap does have windows. I certainly don't want to buy enough locked containers for every rifle... these things are like $100 a case, and I'd need 10 more cases for the rifles. I have enough cases for the pistols since I kept the original boxes.

Some people are saying their NR LTC takes 6 months to get, for a 1 year permit? I'll miss Harvard, but maybe I should just switch to a club up there. Too bad I just sent in dues... I'll consider it a charitable donation.

I should have been a little clearer in my last answer. If any of the rifles are "non-large capacity" (e.g. pump, bolt or lever action, Ruger 10/22, etc.), they are not required to be in a "locked trunk ... locked case or other secure container". Such rifles can be transported in the manner in which you described. "Large capacity" rifles (i.e. ARs, etc.) cannot.

Oh, I see. Rather than spend lots of money on boxes that I don't need, maybe I should consider what a "locked container" is. A deck box with a padlock is a locked container, right? All my ammo is kept in a deck box. They'll all fit in there, well except maybe the Mosin... that thing is long!

Well, can my ammo be in the bed of the truck then? I normally carry it in an ammo can to the range, but I'm not usually firing enough ammo to exceed the needs of that can.

Oh, I see. Rather than spend lots of money on boxes that I don't need, maybe I should consider what a "locked container" is. A deck box with a padlock is a locked container, right? All my ammo is kept in a deck box. They'll all fit in there, well except maybe the Mosin... that thing is long!

Well, can my ammo be in the bed of the truck then? I normally carry it in an ammo can to the range, but I'm not usually firing enough ammo to exceed the needs of that can.

Dude, put the damn guns in your truck and drive them here. For christ sake, it isn't brain surgery. Once here, you do not have to worry about such bullshit things ever again.

Be aware that the recent interpretation of MGL is that you can ONLY bring low-cap long guns into MA w/o a MA LTC/FID.

They have "ruled" that NO STATES meet the requirements of C. 140 S. 131G and therefore you can't bring any pistols or hi-cap long guns into MA w/o a MA NR LTC! The claim is that no state has as strict interpretation of DQs as MA. Every state I am aware of will forgive minor misdemeanor drug charges after x years and issue a permit. Read 131G very carefully and you'll see what they are hanging their hat on.

So, no you can't bring them in for a competition according to EOPS.

Dude, put the damn guns in your truck and drive them here. For christ sake, it isn't brain surgery. Once here, you do not have to worry about such bullshit things ever again.

Yeah, some of us are still suffering from Post-Massachusetts-Skiddish-Syndrome (PMSS). I know I was for a few weeks until I realized that in a Free State, like New Hampshire, nobody gives a rat's ass about you or your guns.

Damn. This freedom thing feels good.

Just bundle that stuff up and get it the hell out of MA. not rocket science.

See also "porkchop sandwhiches". [laugh]

-Mike

There's been a few stories on NES where the MA-NR are all going restricted anyway. Save your $100.

You still need one if you want to shoot recreationally in MA and not be encumbered by a flyer, or the whole "everything remotely evil (large capacity) is verboten even with the exemption" interpretation.

If you do it right you can probably avoid getting the restriction, as well. Word has it they are back to the "dog and pony show" letter approach.

I won't even get into the fact that a restricted LTC is still 10,000 times better than being in MA with guns and not having any LTC.

-Mike

Well its hard to get over this Masschusetts-induced psychosis; it is all I've known other than my trips up to Maine. With my luck, I'd get pulled over on moving day while rushing between closings, 5 miles before I reach freedom at the border, maybe Groton or something, and then end up in jail for one of the guns not properly secured, and life ruined. Oh, and they'd probably through in having the guns w/o a permit since I had just closed on my house and technically don't live in MA anymore, thus invalidating LTC. Yeah, far fetched maybe, but bad luck follows me. I gotta be careful.

This is what I think of every time I drive up to NH.... I'm surprised I don't get chased by orange and white cars with commies in them... [rofl]

Last edited by a moderator:
Well its hard to get over this Masschusetts-induced psychosis; it is all I've known other than my trips up to Maine. With my luck, I'd get pulled over on moving day while rushing between closings, 5 miles before I reach freedom at the border, maybe Groton or something, and then end up in jail for one of the guns not properly secured, and life ruined. Oh, and they'd probably through in having the guns w/o a permit since I had just closed on my house and technically don't live in MA anymore, thus invalidating LTC. Yeah, far fetched maybe, but bad luck follows me. I gotta be careful.

AFAIK, you're not a "resident" of New Hampshire until you swap in your MA driver's license. I closed in November, didn't get my DL until December. So the NR (if you have one) would still technically be valid.

One thing I'm not clear on is the status of your MA LTC. Mine was NOT confiscated when I turned in my MA DL. I even asked about it at the NH RMV. They pretty much had no clue.

Be aware that the recent interpretation of MGL is that you can ONLY bring low-cap long guns into MA w/o a MA LTC/FID.

They have "ruled" that NO STATES meet the requirements of C. 140 S. 131G and therefore you can't bring any pistols or hi-cap long guns into MA w/o a MA NR LTC! The claim is that no state has as strict interpretation of DQs as MA. Every state I am aware of will forgive minor misdemeanor drug charges after x years and issue a permit. Read 131G very carefully and you'll see what they are hanging their hat on.

So, no you can't bring them in for a competition according to EOPS.

I don't doubt that's EOPSS's position, but I believe CT and PA do in-fact meet the standard.

First off, you lucky bastard. I hate you.

Oh, I see. Rather than spend lots of money on boxes that I don't need, maybe I should consider what a "locked container" is.

Will you be renting a U-Haul type truck to move the furniture? Stick the guns in there, add a paddlock to the latch and you have secured everything.

Or this.

You have 30 days to change your address after you move. Close on your new house, take your stuff up there, then notify the FRB/Hometown PD of the address change within the allotted time as per MGL.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom