• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Moving from MA to NH: A Few Questions

We sold our house in Merrimac MA in December and moved into an apartment in the Lawrence area with a month-to-month rent situation. Our hope was to find a smallish house (just 2 of us + dogs) on a decent piece of land in NH by spring, though I expected it would probably take well into the summer.

Well, we found a great little house last month with just over 6 wooded acres, made an offer the day we saw it and are now closing this Friday (30 days from listing to closing).

1. How soon can we apply for NH pistol permits (i.e., what do we need to prove residency)?

2. Does having an out-of-state NH license have any bearing on this? I know, dumb question since it’s a shall issue state with a quick turn-around…

3. Do we need to notify MA in any way that we've left the state? If so, how?

4. Does having a MA resident LTC have any bearing on getting an out of state license? (i.e., make it easier)

5. We've budgeted for a few important purchases upon moving in, including: chain saw, lawn mower, snow blower, generator, etc. and may have some left over for a new gun or two…I’m itching to get something I couldn’t in MA to celebrate, like an AK-type pistol. I know they’re impractical, but I think they’re bad-ass. Any recommendations?

Here's our new humble abode:

house pic.JPG

Thanks in advance for your advice!

G

I have a resident Ma LTC but still have an out of state drivers license. Usually a utility bill (or 2) will suffice, but in your case getting a NH drivers license would be quicker. When I got my non resident NH permit the address they used was the one on my drivers license as opposed to my LTC. So they may be all about the drivers license in NH.

Recommendations for free state purchase.........ALL OF IT! [smile] In all seriousness though, get something super cool that you'll enjoy. Me, personally, would go for something super killy with a suppressor!

We sold our house in Merrimac MA in December and moved into an apartment in the Lawrence area with a month-to-month rent situation. Our hope was to find a smallish house (just 2 of us + dogs) on a decent piece of land in NH by spring, though I expected it would probably take well into the summer.

Well, we found a great little house last month with just over 6 wooded acres, made an offer the day we saw it and are now closing this Friday (30 days from listing to closing).

1. How soon can we apply for NH pistol permits (i.e., what do we need to prove residency)?

2. Does having an out-of-state NH license have any bearing on this? I know, dumb question since it’s a shall issue state with a quick turn-around…

4. Does having a MA resident LTC have any bearing on getting an out of state license? (i.e., make it easier)

5. We've budgeted for a few important purchases upon moving in, including: chain saw, lawn mower, snow blower, generator, etc. and may have some left over for a new gun or two…I’m itching to get something I couldn’t in MA to celebrate, like an AK-type pistol. I know they’re impractical, but I think they’re bad-ass. Any recommendations?

Here's our new humble abode:

View attachment 63108

Thanks in advance for your advice!

G

One might not call that humble, congrats on getting out of the suck, aka MA! [smile]

Why Get The Pistol Whe You Can Just Go Killy Side Folder And Have The Best Of Both Worlds..... Why Does My PhOne Keep Capitalizing My Words?

Congratulations. You'll love it here. One of the best decisions I ever made was to move out of MA. The only "downer" is that you got an extra week or two of colder weather compared to most parts of MA. But that's it.

Get your NH DL. You'll get a temp from the DMV. Immediately after getting the paper, temp license, go to your local PD and complete the application. $10 for four+ years.

None.

Yes. Within 30 days. Certified mail. Search the NES forum or check out GOAL.org for the form. One copy has to go to your current PD in Lawrence, a second copy to the juristiction that originally issued the LTC and then a third copy goes to the MAEOPS in Chelsea. Keep a copy, of course, for your records. All three should be sent certified mail.

No relevancy.

Personally, I had no $ leftover for any guns for the first year. Everything went into a few planned upgrades and a few unexpected repairs. You'll be at Home Depot or Lowes every weekend. [smile]

Good luck with your new home. Are those solar panels ?

No, wish they were though. I don't know what they'are called, but they're horizontal strips that prevent an entire roof load of snow from avalanching all at once. Guess that can happen will a metal roof.

In NH, you could build up an AR pistol if you wanted to. IF you put a folding stock onto an AK pistol it's considered a SBR and is a NFA item. Something built to be a pistol from the start is not a NFA item. You could build up an AK pistol, or get one, that's 100% pistol without any folding stock on it.

I'm in the process of building up an AR pistol now. Waiting for the barrel I want to be available before I get the rest of the hardware.

Congratulations on your move to New Hampshire.

Save the big bucks for unexpected house expenses. Buy yourself a nice auto knife (switchblade) in the +$100 range, and some brand new "standard capacity" magazines. And something in .22 to suppress your chipmunk population.

In NH, you could build up an AR pistol if you wanted to. IF you put a folding stock onto an AK pistol it's considered a SBR and is a NFA item. Something built to be a pistol from the start is not a NFA item. You could build up an AK pistol, or get one, that's 100% pistol without any folding stock on it. I'm in the process of building up an AR pistol now. Waiting for the barrel I want to be available before I get the rest of the hardware.

Better yet, build a receiver as a pistol today, file your "Form 1" with $200 payment, and about six months later you can have your receiver engraved and add the shoulder stock to have a fully legal SBR.

Yes. Within 30 days. Certified mail. Search the NES forum or check out GOAL.org for the form. One copy has to go to your current PD in Lawrence, a second copy to the juristiction that originally issued the LTC and then a third copy goes to the MAEOPS in Chelsea. Keep a copy, of course, for your records. All three should be sent certified mail.

This for #3.

Good luck with the new house!! Hopefully it will be good to you and you'll enjoy the taste of freedom!

BTW, when you move out of state, your MA LTC becomes invalid as well. Just be safe. I'm guessing you already have your NH NR?

This for #3.

Good luck with the new house!! Hopefully it will be good to you and you'll enjoy the taste of freedom!

BTW, when you move out of state, your MA LTC becomes invalid as well. Just be safe. I'm guessing you already have your NH NR?

THIS[grin]

I'd like to possibly jump in on this thread (so I don't start a new one on almost the exact same topic). I am also moving to NH and I am curious as to what the best areas are to move to (and I know this is subjective). I'd rather not be in the sticks but I definitely don't want to be right in an urban area i.e. would prefer less traffic, less crime, etc.

I'd like to possibly jump in on this thread (so I don't start a new one on almost the exact same topic). I am also moving to NH and I am curious as to what the best areas are to move to (and I know this is subjective). I'd rather not be in the sticks but I definitely don't want to be right in an urban area i.e. would prefer less traffic, less crime, etc.

Where do you work?

For #3, another part of the answer is "When you've moved and have no intention of continuing to make a place of residence" at your old residence.

If you haven't fully moved or if you're keeping your apartment or old house, for examples, you'd want (and be entitled to) keep your residency in MA while you are also developing your NH residency.

In the sticks, listening to silence, and a Great Horned Owl hooting in the distance

I'd like to possibly jump in on this thread (so I don't start a new one on almost the exact same topic). I am also moving to NH and I am curious as to what the best areas are to move to (and I know this is subjective). I'd rather not be in the sticks but I definitely don't want to be right in an urban area i.e. would prefer less traffic, less crime, etc. ... I work remotely.
Other than the few cities and a handful of moonbat towns, there's not a lot of NH that IMHO would be a "bad" area to move to. You'll want to use some other criteria to make your choice, like tax rate, schools, proximity to a good fish & game club, etc. If you're planning to buy or build, I'd recommend drawing up a list of "must haves", and looking for 11 acres or larger.

Once you get more than about 2 towns away from "urban" areas (e.g. a half hour beyond Manchester), you're out in the sticks where FiOS is but a dream (DSL and cablemodem if you're lucky), with only fisher, coyotes, and owls to keep you awake at night.

The Mass form is for eops, current city, and new city. If he moved in mass previously he would have notified the issuer and they're out of the equation now. As for even filling this form out... Why would you want to essentially voluntarily register you guns in NH? I see virtually no reason besides potentially a non-res permit or if you're insane and move back. But if you move back you're probably going to be denied suitability anyways for not being of sound mind for moving back. It's not like eops are going to come knocking on your door looking for your guns because you didn't notify of your new address.

Enjoy your new freedom and screw Mass don't play their game as you don't have to play by their rules anymore.

The Mass form is for eops, current city, and new city. If he moved in mass previously he would have notified the issuer and they're out of the equation now. As for even filling this form out... Why would you want to essentially voluntarily register you guns in NH? I see virtually no reason besides potentially a non-res permit or if you're insane and move back. But if you move back you're probably going to be denied suitability anyways for not being of sound mind for moving back. It's not like eops are going to come knocking on your door looking for your guns because you didn't notify of your new address.

Enjoy your new freedom and screw Mass don't play their game as you don't have to play by their rules anymore.

So the OP should shoot himself in the foot legally if any one of a hundred different circumstances brings him back to Mass? That's sound advice.

Sent from my mobile shitbox.

Some day he might want to move back. I don't think that's great advice.

- - - Updated - - -

So the OP should shoot himself in the foot legally if any one of a hundred different circumstances brings him back to Mass? That's sound advice.

Ahhh beat me to it.

ETA:
Plus if after you've fully moved out and you're carrying on your illegitimate MA LTC and something occurs... You might become a PP. Not worth the temptation IMHO.

Last edited:

Sent from my mobile shitbox.

Some day he might want to move back. I don't think that's great advice.

- - - Updated - - -

Ahhh beat me to it.

ETA:
Plus if after you've fully moved out and you're carrying on your illegitimate MA LTC and something occurs... You might become a PP. Not worth the temptation IMHO.

So then send them the form and for address list out of state for all new address lines. Use the old address on the green card and it'll forward to his new address. It really is none of their business period where he live out of state. If they want to know that he's gone then give them that. Or just play along with the registration game.

Back
Top Bottom