• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Moving from Georgia to Massachusetts

I found this forum last year before I moved for a job. There are a lot of good people that offered help when I was freaking about all the damned restrictions. Thanks, my friends, for the calming words of advice.
Anyway, moved to Walpole, Chief Carmichael seems like a great guy and sharp as a tack. He interviews you without interviewing you, if you know what I mean. Everything went smoothly and very professionally, and about 4 weeks later, I got my unrestricted LTC. Yay!
My behind is still burning over leaving my beautiful AR-15 with 6 30 round magazines back in GA with a friend and about 3,000 rounds of ammo. I'll move back within 5 years and we'll be reunited.
Until that happy day, I bought a Mini 14 to play with which raises a question about magazine capacity.
The mini has none of the attributes of the scary AR so I wonder if I would be able to possess 20 round mags. Probably not but I just thought I'd throw it out there.
It sucks that you have to pay so much to join gun clubs here but I'm glad to see that there are actual rifle ranges >100 yards. The last time shooting at my friend's house in GA, I was killing steel at 630 meters with my K-31. 50 yd ranges would just be silly.
Now that I'm actually here, I look forward to maybe meeting some of you out at a range and reading your good advice.

Mini-14 = Minute of Mattress

Mark the move date back to GA on your calendar and look forward to it. I am curious what job would be worth moving in to MA for.

I found this forum last year before I moved for a job. There are a lot of good people that offered help when I was freaking about all the damned restrictions. Thanks, my friends, for the calming words of advice.
Anyway, moved to Walpole, Chief Carmichael seems like a great guy and sharp as a tack. He interviews you without interviewing you, if you know what I mean. Everything went smoothly and very professionally, and about 4 weeks later, I got my unrestricted LTC. Yay!
My behind is still burning over leaving my beautiful AR-15 with 6 30 round magazines back in GA with a friend and about 3,000 rounds of ammo. I'll move back within 5 years and we'll be reunited.
Until that happy day, I bought a Mini 14 to play with which raises a question about magazine capacity.
The mini has none of the attributes of the scary AR so I wonder if I would be able to possess 20 round mags. Probably not but I just thought I'd throw it out there.
It sucks that you have to pay so much to join gun clubs here but I'm glad to see that there are actual rifle ranges >100 yards. The last time shooting at my friend's house in GA, I was killing steel at 630 meters with my K-31. 50 yd ranges would just be silly.
Now that I'm actually here, I look forward to maybe meeting some of you out at a range and reading your good advice.

To tell you the truth I never thought I'd ever hear myself say this to anyone, but here goes ! Welcome to Massachusetts !!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to the PRM. You think the club prices are expensive in MA? I wonder what you were used to in GA then... your own range on private land? I was part of 2 clubs in MA when I lived there... both about the same price but offered 24/7 access to indoor ranges, no RSO necessary for those. Now where I live in Northern VA, I pay about the same price but none of the ranges are 24/7, indoor only, and also have RSOs and to add to it, it's a public range as well. If you're willing to drive out to western Mass'ish, you can find some ranges that are dirt cheap and is nothing but a glorified pit (wish I had that available to me!)

Good luck and have fun with your new Mini-14!

Feel free to search the classifieds...Pre-Ban Mini-14 mags pop up under Firearm Accessories on occasion....

What do you think of that white crap that falls out of the sky and covers the ground?

Boy, you must be outside your mind. On so many different levels..lol. The things I miss most about my high school years living in Georgia, in no particular order.. Hanging at the river and "rafting" with an net equipped tube for beer refrigeration. Lake Lanier and Bass fishing. Friday night lights and highschool football games with packed stadiums. Bojangles steak an egg biscuits. Shoney's breakfast buffet . It's like a salad bar based around bacon and heart disease. Stone Mountain.. an eternal memorial that will piss off liberals... forever.
Georgia Peaches and Daisy Dukes.

Mini-14 = Minute of Mattress

Mark the move date back to GA on your calendar and look forward to it. I am curious what job would be worth moving in to MA for.

The old ones were ridiculous. The more you shot them the less accurate they were.. And for a job, my guess is State Trooper. You can make like 250k a year working 40 hours a week.

What do you think of that white crap that falls out of the sky and covers the ground?
Did he move to Lowell?

I go to Dalton every year for two weeks to spend time with my buddy down there. Plan on moving somewhere down there in the next year. Sorry to hear you came this way, LOL.

Welcome to MA. Behind enemy lines.

Please join GOAL and COMM2A and help us fight the good fight. Be as active as you can. Lord knows we need all of the help that we can get!

I go to Dalton every year for two weeks to spend time with my buddy down there. Plan on moving somewhere down there in the next year. Sorry to hear you came this way, LOL.
Head down a few miles south of there to Resaca, home of the great Ken Null Holsters.

LOL, listen to all the whiners! OK, 2A is a PITA here but there is so much you can do.

Welcome Ronso! You can have a good time here. I moved from Tennessee to central Mass about 8 years ago and am still having a great time. No, I won't retire here but until it's time to go back to TN or elsewhere I will be burning through a lot of ammo. Seems like the density of clubs is much higher than I have seen elsewhere, and there are plenty of matches to shoot no matter the discipline.

Boy, you must be outside your mind. On so many different levels..lol. The things I miss most about my high school years living in Georgia, in no particular order.. Hanging at the river and "rafting" with an net equipped tube for beer refrigeration. Lake Lanier and Bass fishing. Friday night lights and highschool football games with packed stadiums. Bojangles steak an egg biscuits. Shoney's breakfast buffet . It's like a salad bar based around bacon and heart disease. Stone Mountain.. an eternal memorial that will piss off liberals... forever.
Georgia Peaches and Daisy Dukes.

Oh Brother, even though I grew up here, when I left Georgia, I feel like I left home. Gonna be a "Damned Yankee" and go back within 5 years.

The old ones were ridiculous. The more you shot them the less accurate they were.. And for a job, my guess is State Trooper. You can make like 250k a year working 40 hours a week.
The AR I got was made by a small Dallas, GA company called "Head Down". Look 'em up. Nice ARs (abit heavy), and real tack drivers. The mini should be interesting.

Did he move to Lowell?

LOL, listen to all the whiners! OK, 2A is a PITA here but there is so much you can do.

Welcome Ronso! You can have a good time here. I moved from Tennessee to central Mass about 8 years ago and am still having a great time. No, I won't retire here but until it's time to go back to TN or elsewhere I will be burning through a lot of ammo. Seems like the density of clubs is much higher than I have seen elsewhere, and there are plenty of matches to shoot no matter the discipline.
You're right about the clubs. Way more than I expected. But you know, My bud and I would drive 1 hr., 15 mins. to the North GA Mtns. to small WMA (Wildlife Management Area-for thos who don't know) range and shoot anything we wanted to out to 100 yards, including Tannerite (Yee Ha!). No membership required.

Thank you. Looking forward to having fun til I get back to Heaven.

Back
Top Bottom