• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Moving from CA to MA - compliance question

Beretta92FS

NES Member
Hi,

A friend will be moving from California back to Massachusetts towards the end of the year, after having worked there for 5 years. One of the items he wants to bring back is his M&P 15-22, the CA compliant version, this one:

Product: Model M&P15-22 Rifle (Compliant)

To be in compliance with the MA laws, the rifle obviously need to have the stock fixed, which a gunsmith can easily do.

The more important question is the muzzle device. By the looks of it, it would appear that the M&P 15-22 has a flash suppressor, which is of course illegal in MA. However, the official spec sheet for the gun lists the muzzle device in question as a "A1 style compensator", and not a flash suppressor. Here is the spec sheet:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson2/upload/other/PS/2012/811062.pdf

Would it be OK to bring this rifle to MA, assuming the muzzle device (which seems to be a "compensator") is permanently attached, by either welding to being pinned down?

Thanks for any input!

Since there are no legal standards for what makes a comp, and there is no MA equivalent of the BATFE tech branch to ask, I'd go with "If S&W called it a compensator, it's a goldarn compensator".

If I were in your friends position, I'd fix the stock, permanently attach the "A1 style comp", and call it good by MA standards.

Back
Top Bottom