• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Moving but staying in the same city?

DMX

I've looked for the answer and I think I've found it but I want to be sure; I'm moving but just to another street in my city. Do I need to notify anyone of this? I understand if you're moving to another city or state you need to send 3 letters to 3 separate groups of people but what about my situation? My understanding is I'm okay?..

A move is a move. You're moving. [smile]

Massachusetts General Law Chapter 140, sections 129B and 131 state:
"A cardholder shall notify the licensing authority that issued such firearms license, the chief of police into whose jurisdiction
such cardholder moves, and the commissioner of the Department of Criminal Justice Information Services of any change of
address
within 30 days of its occurrence. Failure to notify any of these entities shall be cause for revocation or suspension
of the license."

Last edited:
A move is a move. You're moving. [smile]

Massachusetts General Law Chapter 140, sections 129B and 131 state:
"A cardholder shall notify the licensing authority that issued such firearms license, the chief of police into whose jurisdiction
such cardholder moves, and the commissioner of the Department of Criminal Justice Information Services of any change of
address
within 30 days of its occurrence. Failure to notify any of these entities shall be cause for revocation or suspension
of the license."

cb3d536edefbb4ff15f8c7bb6835ea2d.jpg

That highlighted part is what confused me...

So I'll only need to send two forms, one to my city's chief of police and one to the firearms record bureau, correct?

Well one person is quoting MGLs and one is quoting mafirearmsafety.com....I would go by what the MGLs say but what do I know?

The law makes no distinction in regard to moving within vs. between towns. Send the three certified letters.

The real question is:

One to Chelsea, but is it one or two to the Town? [laugh]

Also, there is no legal requirement AFAIK to use the "official" form, which "requires" info (such as a copy of your LTC) that it not required by MGLs.

Also, being a Grammar Nazi, I'd not take legal advice from a source that knows not the difference between, "your," and, "you're." [rofl]

Last edited:
two letters would apply if you moved to a different town, because you would need to notify the town you are moving from and the town you are moving to....in this situation i would send one to Chelsea and one to your town PD

Last edited:
two letters would apply if you moved to a different town, because you would need to notify the town you are moving from and the town you are moving to....in this situation i would send one to Chelsea and one to your town PD

Agreed, just FRB and the town that issued your LTC. If it was issued by a different town than where you currently live/moving within, then it would be 3 letters, ALL by Certified Mail per MGL.

Correct, one to FRB in Chelsea and one to the town police dept. That's it. Send then registered mail return receipt requested. Then staple the return with a copy of the letter and keep it in your important papers file. That way when it come time to renew you will have "PROOF" that you complied with the law.

Dan Long

Correct, one to FRB in Chelsea and one to the town police dept. That's it. Send then registered mail return receipt requested. Then staple the return with a copy of the letter and keep it in your important papers file. That way when it come time to renew you will have "PROOF" that you complied with the law.

Dan Long

Sorry Dan, but that is wrong! "Certified Mail" ONLY is called out in the law. Dumb but that is what it is!

Sorry Dan, but that is wrong! "Certified Mail" ONLY is called out in the law. Dumb but that is what it is!

its not dumb, sending it via registered mail is dumb.

Certified mail requires a person to sign for the item proving it was delivered to someone not just left in a mailbox. It is for important paperwork, some bills, etc.

Registered mail is FAR more expensive and is for valuable items like cash, coins, jewelry, collectibles, etc. It is sealed with specific kinds of tape and marked with cancellation stamps at every seam so it is protected from tampering. It is also signed for every time it changes hands and kept locked in safes, etc. when not in transit. It is the most secure way of sending anything valuable. Its also the slowest and most expensive since there's a chain of custody all the way along. This type of security is totally unnecessary for a letter like this. Certified is the correct choice.

its not dumb, sending it via registered mail is dumb.

Certified mail requires a person to sign for the item proving it was delivered to someone not just left in a mailbox. It is for important paperwork, some bills, etc.

Registered mail is FAR more expensive and is for valuable items like cash, coins, jewelry, collectibles, etc. It is sealed with specific kinds of tape and marked with cancellation stamps at every seam so it is protected from tampering. It is also signed for every time it changes hands and kept locked in safes, etc. when not in transit. It is the most secure way of sending anything valuable. Its also the slowest and most expensive since there's a chain of custody all the way along. This type of security is totally unnecessary for a letter like this. Certified is the correct choice.

I understand. Reason it is dumb is that if the USPO tomorrow decided to stop all Certified Mail service, there legally would be no way to comply with MGL and it would need a re-write. That is dumb.

As for signatures . . . it goes to the Mailroom and if someone is standing around they will sign the green card. If nobody is visible (coffee break, etc.) USPO will merely leave it and you may never get the green card back. Found out the hard way when I did Certified Mail to the Secretary of Public Safety once about a Federal Law violation, never got the card and had the Postmaster in Newton where I Mailed it explain "tough shit" and no refund.

It also only certifies that as a minimum an empty envelope was delivered . . . not that the contents were a change of address.

It also only certifies that as a minimum an empty envelope was delivered . . . not that the contents were a change of address.

Before mailing, copy down the certified mail article number right onto the document you're mailing, then photo copy it. You will now have a copy of the document that was in the envelope and bearing the same certified article number as the certified mail receipt. Without having the original produced, this is the closest you can come to proving what was actually in the envelope.

I do this with documents that are likely to find their way into court and it has helped overcome numerous issues with picky clerk's offices and judges.

Before mailing, copy down the certified mail article number right onto the document you're mailing, then photo copy it. You will now have a copy of the document that was in the envelope and bearing the same certified article number as the certified mail receipt. Without having the original produced, this is the closest you can come to proving what was actually in the envelope.

I do this with documents that are likely to find their way into court and it has helped overcome numerous issues with picky clerk's offices and judges.

Good idea.

lol that's what I'm saying...

I'm guessing it's only one? Or should I send two to be safe? [emoji23]

You can change your address @ the frb via phone call to them. Your local pd needs to be notified threw the mail. I just went threw this myself a few months ago.

You can change your address @ the frb via phone call to them. Your local pd needs to be notified threw the mail. I just went threw this myself a few months ago.

Show me where in MGL it allows for phone changes?

I know that Michaela implemented this to be helpful, but it doesn't make it legal. I'd make the $5 investment in Mailing to FRB.

It says you can right on the address change form it worked for me.

View attachment 177690

What Len is saying is that while FRB is allowing that method, and could be said to be soliciting such notifications that method of notification does not meet the standards specified in MGL c. 140 s. 129B (relevant to FID cards) or in MGL c.140 s. 131 (relevant to LTC). The statute is very specific in commanding the cardholder/licensee to make such notification by certified mail.

Welp I just came back from the post office. I sent certified letters to my PD and the Firearms bureau in Chelsea. Both letters contained a filled out change of address notification form and a photo copy of my LTC.

I have the receipts for both from the post office and I made a copy of the form after I filled it out.

Hopefully I'm all set..

Last edited:
Did your current town issue your LTC? If not, you need to mail your issuing town, current town, and FRB. If your current town issued your LTC, then it's current town and FRB only.

As said, phone is accepted by the FRB but does not meet the letter of the law. Send all mailings certified with return receipt and keep for your records.

Its not a federal case its a address change i'm not loosing sleep over it. Its a simple process. I wasent implying this is the only way for this to be done.

What Len is saying, is that the form, and the phone-call notification is not part of the requirements in the MGLs. And given the current political climate, just because you did what you were told, you may not be compliant with the law. Sound familiar?

Mafirearmsafety.com.......just that one **** up about change of address is enough for me to tell people to not use them. Good god.

Back
Top Bottom