Moving back to Mass - need some clarification

bob6180

NES Member
Hi All,

I've been somewhat dormant for the last few years as I've been living in America. .. Now a family situation is bringing me back to Mass at the end of the month. I read through the 'Moving back to Mass' sticky... But need some clarification from you legal eagles. Obviously I need to establish residency and apply for my LTC again ASAP. I know I can't legally transport etc once I've unpacked the truck etc... But what about home defense etc? Am I technically allowed to have a handgun loaded bedside (and stored per MA standards) or am I (ahem, technically) better off storing them at a friends house?

Thanks all... Just don't want to ignorantly run afoul of the law.

You can only bring your guns into MA and lock them up. No loading, usage, carry at home, etc. allowed until you have a new LTC in your hands.

You can only bring your guns into MA and lock them up. No loading, usage, carry at home, etc. allowed until you have a new LTC in your hands.

And, due to a court decision that Len probably remembers better than I, high cap guns (>10 handgun/rifles, >5 shotgun) and possibly mags are not covered by this exemption.

And, due to a court decision that Len probably remembers better than I, high cap guns (>10 handgun/rifles, >5 shotgun) and possibly mags are not covered by this exemption.

Sadly true, no large-cap guns or mags can be brought into MA until you get your LTC in hand.

Comm v. Cornelius 78 Mass App Ct 413 (2010) - judge ruled that although S. 129C(j) provides an exemption for 60 days when you move into MA, C. 269 S. 10(m) prohibits large cap guns/mags and has NO exemptions! [I'm disappointed that GOAL never went after a correction to this disparity during the past 5 years. This is one of the "technical corrections" that I requested in my meeting in March with a high ranking individual in MA gov't. I have my fingers crossed on this.]

ETA: In my MA Gun Law Seminar I discuss ways to deal with this. Some things are done better "mouth to ear" rather than leaving an electron trail.

Last edited:
Thread's been up for nearly 14 hours and no one's offered the advice of "Don't" or "Move to NH" yet... Props to you, Len, for jumping in, as always, with solid advice in threads like this.

Moving back to mass is like asking for a second shit sandwich.
welcome back

Thanks guys. Already purged my scary non compliant stuff. Anything that could possible hold over 10 rounds I actually purchased in Mass before I left. I'll just stick everything in my fiends safe to CMA.

- - - Updated - - -

Ha! Thanks. Would prefer NH or ME .. But that's a few years off

Thanks guys. Already purged my scary non compliant stuff. Anything that could possible hold over 10 rounds I actually purchased in Mass before I left. I'll just stick everything in my fiends safe to CMA.

- - - Updated - - -

Ha! Thanks. Would prefer NH or ME .. But that's a few years off

bob, by non compliant do you mean >10 round post-ban magazines? Just want to make sure you know you can bring in any handgun you already own.

bob, by non compliant do you mean >10 round post-ban magazines? Just want to make sure you know you can bring in any handgun you already own.

Does that make it any more legal to carry? Or just to own?

ie: New Glock that is not mass compliant, but has a 10 round mag.

Handgun compliance is ONLY a restriction on what a MA Licensed DEALER can transfer. NO restrictions wrt ownership, ccw, etc.

Very different from post-9/13/1994 >10 rd (>5 rd for shotgun) pistol/rifle mags and AWs! Those are felonies to possess.

I can't believe nobody's started providing a list of guns he "might want to bring with him" when he moves into MA. I guess those must be the PMs that are filling up his inbox...

Yep. Just the mags. I bought my Sig in MA, so I just sold off the non neutered mags I had purchased. Same with my pmag's etc.

Yep. Just the mags. I bought my Sig in MA, so I just sold off the non neutered mags I had purchased. Same with my pmag's etc.

Get crackin' and start buying some stuff you can't buy (easily) in Mass - Springfield Armory pistols, M&P22 etc. Glocks aren't hard to get here. You'll find that you want what you can't have here. :)

Buying it with intent to sell would be a straw purchase.
do you have to have a person lined up to buy the gun. bringing in a collection and then advertising it because you need the cash would not be a straw purchase or very hard to prosecute that it was. could be a gundealing without a license issue, but again hard to prove.

do you have to have a person lined up to buy the gun. bringing in a collection and then advertising it because you need the cash would not be a straw purchase or very hard to prosecute that it was. could be a gundealing without a license issue, but again hard to prove.

Under MA law, the definition of gun dealing is selling > 4 in a calendar year. The federal definition is a bit less clearcut.

I think as long as you're not stupid you'll be fine - like if someone on the forum posts "I'll take an M&P22!" and then you move to Mass a few months later and sell that guy an M&P22, you would technically be guilty.

Back
Top Bottom