• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

N/a

The answers to these might help us help you.

How did it get where it is?

What do you have to help: Truck, commercial dolly, ramps, plywood and/or straps?

How many friends are you providing?

Is the area above the bulkhead flat , level and no overhead obstructions?

[wink]

Seeing as it was delivered by Eastern security safe originally, get a quote for the move from Eastern security safe?

Also see what it would cost to rent a truck with a +1K lbs capacity power liftgate, if you want to DIY. Then just roll it on steel pipes or even golf balls.

725 lbs is not bad. I have moved several fireproof file cabinets over the years that weigh that and more. I have always used an appliance dolly (the heavy duty kind with rollers built into the frame). Strap it on and with 2 guys on the top and 2 on the bottom you can move it out of your bulkhead, 1 step at a time. You also need to plan for what your back yard is like. Meaning will it be moved on grass or a paved walkway. If it's grass then you need some thick boards to wheel the safe on. Or do it when the ground is frozen in the winter

can you negotiate it into the sale of the house and buy a new one? life would be so much simpler for you...plus gives you excuse to buy a bigger one

725 lbs is not bad. I have moved several fireproof file cabinets over the years that weigh that and more. I have always used an appliance dolly (the heavy duty kind with rollers built into the frame). Strap it on and with 2 guys on the top and 2 on the bottom you can move it out of your bulkhead, 1 step at a time. You also need to plan for what your back yard is like. Meaning will it be moved on grass or a paved walkway. If it's grass then you need some thick boards to wheel the safe on. Or do it when the ground is frozen in the winter

I moved my 700 lb safe with an appliance dolly and 4 guys. Slow and easy and it was done.

So ask yourself this. You've sold your house already and new owners will be moving in. Do you and your friends have the expertise and equipment to move the safe out of your basement and most importantly without damaging anything? Because if you damage anything you'll have to fix it fast or it gives the new owners a way to back out as it's damage after they purchased.

I bring this up as it was a choice I had to make when I moved into our new house and sold our townhouse. I have an very large and heavy 60 gun safe that I wasn't willing to leave behind. I bought the safe from Eastern Security so I called them and contracted with them to move it to my new house. It was in my basement and had to go up and out a bulkhead as well. They did such a great job getting it out that the new owners even commented that they were surprised there wasn't even a scratch anywhere from the move.

Overall I think it cost me $500, because I was local, for the move plus a tip to the guys doing the work.

Eastern Security moved my 1420 lb safe with no problem.

The do excellent moves, but hammer you hard on the price. It cost me $1040 to move the safe about 6 miles, with one bulkhead involved. At that price, I wasn't about to tip.

If you have a wide aluminum moving truck ramp, a heavy duty four wheel dolly and a come along or winch, your move turns into a cake walk.

The do excellent moves, but hammer you hard on the price. It cost me $1040 to move the safe about 6 miles, with one bulkhead involved. At that price, I wasn't about to tip.

I think this is a little high, but not that bad. When you consider manpower, trucking, proper equipment, liability insurance, etc. It really does not matter much the distance driving.... that's the easy part. There is also something to be said about hiring the pros who know what they are doing vs some high school kids. Plus your safe is about double the weight of this gentleman's

I have a Browning. I took the door off when I had to move it.

The door coming off is key, I moved a 700lb safe into my basement through the bulkhead with one other guy. A guy that works for me on occasion, he'd been back from Afghanistan for about a month and he was still pretty jacked up and he's a big kid anyway. It'll probably be four of us old geezers getting it back up those six stairs someday [sad].

Run a cable onto the uhaul toward the front (inside the box) then through a metal loop (like a motorcycle tiedown) and back out to the ramp, one end to a seperate truck, the other to the safe o(or furniture hand truck) now you have a way to bring it in and out of the truck with he provided ramp

Last edited:
I have a Browning. I took the door off when I had to move it.

This is the key right here! If you can separate the door, it is way easier to move in two separate parts, the same as when moving a heavy dresser, you pull the drawers out and move them separate.

I think this is a little high, but not that bad.
Roger is very smart, and good at figuring out the absolute maximum the market will bear and charging it. But, he delivers a very high quality product.

For me, the math was simple. Paid $3000; currently such safes are about $4000. $1000 to move. Would have lost more buying a new one for the new house.

Last edited:

Wow... Is that how much they charged to deliver it also?

that is the sort of shit I HIRE people to do nowadays. too much chance for the thing sliding down a ramp and hurting someone if I tried to move it. That said, a come-along lashed to a nearby tree or truck might be a good way to get it up the bulkhead stairs. Just make sure the sharp edges on the safe do not cut into the moving straps at you lift it. Liftgates on trucks you can rent from ryder can lift 3000 lbs I believe.

something like this:
liftgate.JPG

Last edited:
1947838_10202348939698134_3557169583691433100_n.jpg 10269495_10202348939058118_6907757272845891477_n.jpg 10155231_10202348939298124_2805722594444994845_n.jpg 1980355_10202341220425157_7897534499950768071_o.jpg
found this thing on FB, for short money. guy delivered it to yard, and well he opened my eyes to how easy it can be with the right rigging to move something this heavy. i rigged this in my dump trailer, and used a hand winch and wooden ramp to lower into our bulk head. used more rigging to winch it into the upright, then a buddy showed up and helped me roll it into place. was pretty impressed with myself that day, moving this thing into my basement with no damage to safe of house.

If your problem is to just get it out of the bulkhead, give a call to your local plumbing supply house.

Its common for these companies to remove old boilers when a plumber buys a new one. They have stair climbing dollys that will get it out of there with minimal effort.

One other option is to talk to your local oil company or plumber to find out if they have anyone who specializes in this.

The cost for this will be about $200.

You can also rent a stair climbing dolly for about $80

Don

Back
Top Bottom