Moving and gun storage

napoleon1815

NES Member
Hey all,

I might have a three week gap between houses. I have stuff I will need to store and may have a friend able to help with this. What other options are there? I am not sure about an offsite storage place...when they say "climate controlled" is it really dry and cool or do they run the AC high? Since I have some nice older stuff I am always worried about humidity. Funny this is the most nervous part of the move for me and would pay anything for a safe, AC'd, secure room but not sure what to do.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Last edited:
I my father's storage unit had a.c, tons of antique furniture, everything was perfect when I picked it up. It spent about 2 and a half months in storage. Company was called storage pros here in Falmouth on the cape. Hope that helps

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I would go to the place and check out the AC controlled storage room, Maybe a couple of times randomly.

If you will be moving your safe into the temporary storage location, you could put in a rechargeable desiccant unit. They should be good for a couple of weeks with a good seal.

Maybe even oil the guns up good and put them in long plastic bags.

Thanks all. I hate the fact that I have to move all this stuff...I am never moving again ha. That being said I have a lot invested and want to keep it as issue free as possible. My only concerns are humidity really...where I keep my stuff now I have a dehumidifier running all the time and it's dry. Never had any issues. Storing stuff late July into August is the worst window around here for humidity, etc. Probably overthinking it, but we all love our stuff ha.

Like I said I think a friend can help but I will check out/call around about climate controlled units. I assume some use HVAC just enough so it's not crazy and others might be more generous with it.

I'm the same way. We have a finished walk out basement but it gets cold in winter and humid in summer. I won't keep any guns down there. I don't know how big ur collection is but maybe one of us has room to store them

I'm the same way. We have a finished walk out basement but it gets cold in winter and humid in summer. I won't keep any guns down there. I don't know how big ur collection is but maybe one of us has room to store them

I am open to anything believe me!

I moved a few years back. When I did I just asked a friend to store my guns. He lived about 45 minutes away from me at the time and then we moved about 15 minutes closer to him. I brought all my firearms down to him. They all had either cable or trigger locks on them and in cases or some other protective wrap. He threw them in a closet with his locked guns. he had them for several months as I didn't want them in my house when the house was being shown. First weekend in the new house we had a birthday party for my oldest daughter. He showed up, backed up to the garage and we unloaded all the guns out of his trunk. The guns were fine. No big deal. Just get your change of address paperwork everywhere it needs to be.

I moved a few years back. When I did I just asked a friend to store my guns. He lived about 45 minutes away from me at the time and then we moved about 15 minutes closer to him. I brought all my firearms down to him. They all had either cable or trigger locks on them and in cases or some other protective wrap. He threw them in a closet with his locked guns. he had them for several months as I didn't want them in my house when the house was being shown. First weekend in the new house we had a birthday party for my oldest daughter. He showed up, backed up to the garage and we unloaded all the guns out of his trunk. The guns were fine. No big deal. Just get your change of address paperwork everywhere it needs to be.

Thanks for the info! Appreciate it. I prefer the friend route as well over storage...just looking for other options in case he can't, etc. I know I am making more of a deal over it than it likely is.

Thanks for the info! Appreciate it. I prefer the friend route as well over storage...just looking for other options in case he can't, etc. I know I am making more of a deal over it than it likely is.

Yeah, he brought everything back the same exact way he got it. Once he had them I never gave it a second thought. It's good to have people like that you can trust. He knows I'd do the same for him.

Yeah, he brought everything back the same exact way he got it. Once he had them I never gave it a second thought. It's good to have people like that you can trust. He knows I'd do the same for him.

Something worth considering is if you have them secured per MGL at their residence, but only you have a key to te actual storage until you move them to your residence.

When a friend of mine moved, he brought over a "job box" filled with his stuff until he was settled into his new place. He had the keys, I just stored it in my house. Worked for him.

1) Most of the storage rental unit contracts prohibit firearm and ammunition storage. If there are any issues, the ability to file a claim against the company *could* be negated
2) The Friend Option is a valid option, if you explicitly trust them.
3) Your local FFL may store them for a (hopefully small) fee.
- Better Insurance coverage
- Better Security (typically)
- ATF gets involved if your shit is stolen

Something worth considering is if you have them secured per MGL at their residence, but only you have a key to te actual storage until you move them to your residence.

If the person holding them has a valid LTC, no legal need that you only have the key . . . you may want to do this, but there is no legal issue with ANYONE licensed holding another person's firearms in MA.

1) Most of the storage rental unit contracts prohibit firearm and ammunition storage. If there are any issues, the ability to file a claim against the company *could* be negated
2) The Friend Option is a valid option, if you explicitly trust them.
3) Your local FFL may store them for a (hopefully small) fee.
- Better Insurance coverage
- Better Security (typically)
- ATF gets involved if your shit is stolen

Yes, they all prohibit guns, big deal. No law against it and what you store is your business as long as it isn't flammable or explosive. Thus ammo would be a legit no-no.

As for insurance, the storage places do NOT insure your stuff, period. That is your responsibility.

When we had our house renovated/added-to, I moved all my long guns to Extra Storage along with lots of other stuff that was in the way. I had them all covered and trigger-locked, only I had the key to the lock and we moved them in such that nothing was visible to the multitude of cameras they have in the place. About 6-8 months later when the contractors were done, we reversed the process to bring them home.

I have separate firearms insurance and your homeowners should cover some issues as well. I sent some pictures of the place to my firearms insurance company and they responded that they had no issue with what I did. That is all that I cared about.

The way things are these days if a bunch of your guns get stolen anywhere BATFE will get involved!

Back
Top Bottom