• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Moving a gun safe

So I’ve helped a couple buddies move a safe they purchased plus my own. These aren’t top of the line ones, so everyone can hold their comments on how secure they are. They were on sale at BJs or Costco (don’t remember).

The pins for the doors allow you to knock them free when open and remove the door which I found to be a good chunk of the weight and easier to move. Used cardboard on the stairs and pushed/pulled them up. One house was two flights and two of us going up, other was half a flight down into a basement with three of us and the same for when it was at my house.

I called around (regardless of location) and found that Mancini safe in Norwood would stop by on the way home from another job to take care of me. It was 150 bucks to move a 1000lbs safe and worth EVERY penny - they were like magicians handling that volume and weight.

If you can get a deal like this it’s probably worth it IMO. Maybe have the store load it in a truck for you and pay for it to be moved from the truck in your driveway to it’s final resting place.

I rented an appliance dolly from uhaul for the day. On uhauls website you can hire movers. I hired 4 for 2 or 3 hours. You can’t cheap out on something like this. Unless you have lots of friends that will help you.

Money for this type of specialized labor is well worth it. Not only will they move it without destroying the new location it is going into (tearing into walls, door jambs, floors), but they are most likely insured for any unforeseen issues. 1,000 lb safe going into a home isn't exactly a "Home Depot parking lot labor" type of job. People can get hurt if they don't know what they are doing.

The only downside of having a professional team do it is the obviousness of the situation. I don't like broadcasting to the neighborhood that I'm moving a massive safe into my home. Not the gun factor...just don't like the idea of broadcasting the notion that I have lots of valuable sh*t in my home to the point I require a large safe. But if you're in a good neighborhood, not much of a worry.

A 12 pack and a couple come alongs. What could go wrong ?

Money for this type of specialized labor is well worth it. .... People can get hurt if they don't know what they are doing.

I was doing a design job in NJ about 20 years ago.

The contractor had an "interesting" crew. One piece of equipment being installed was a unit designed to hook up to a 3'x3'x6' high cage of clams right off the fishing boat (several thousand pounds). It would haul the cage up a curved ramp until it dumped the load into a hopper. One of the contractor's guys was testing the hook and slide system before the hydraulic motor was installed. He had a come-along hooked to the frame of the unit and had jacked it about halfway up the ramp when it stopped sliding. I watched him put another shove into the handle while the cage of clams moved about 1/4 of what it should. He pushed again and the handle didn't move. Before anyone could say anything, he leaned away from the cage, turned his face away, put one hand by the side of his head, stood up, and put all his weight on the handle. The cable snapping sounded like a gunshot. The cage sliding back down the ramp and hitting the concrete dock sounded like a bomb going off. The cable fired across the top of the come-along and would have taken the guy's arm off if it had been 6" higher.

Much energy can one store in a come-along.

Last edited:
I've got trucks, trailers, dollys, winches, tractors, come-alongs, straps, and a very healthy appetite for beer, but I'm way out in Western Mass. Good luck. My advice would be to find a friend like me, only much closer to you. Oh yea.....take the door off.

I had bought one from Riley's and they had a Manchester Fireman that delivered for a very reasonable price and took all the cardboard with them. Shooter's Outpost may use them too now that Rileys is closed. Call Shooters and ask if they know someone.

He moved mine years ago. I tried calling again and the phone was disconnected.

Try
Turcotte Moving and Storage
Hampton Falls, NH
(603) 601-7755

I've got trucks, trailers, dollys, winches, tractors, come-alongs, straps, and a very healthy appetite for beer, but I'm way out in Western Mass. Good luck. My advice would be to find a friend like me, only much closer to you. Oh yea.....take the door off.
The door isn't designed to be removed on this particular safe. I ended up calling Milligan Safe. He's going to do it for a number which I think is on the lower end of the expected range.
Now I have to clear out some space and maybe take a door off of it's hinges in the house.

@Realtor MA what is the number ? For our edification

Dan - Milligan Safe in Whitman. 857-800-6694. Safe and Vault Services | Milligan Safe & Vault | Boston-Whitman, MA

Dan is awesome. He showed up in an F250, brought a heavy neumatic dolly and hydraulic lift tailgate, heavy plastic rollers, had my 1300 lb safe in my basement, wedged perfectly into the notch in my foundation in a little over a half an hour. Great guy and very very reasonable cost. Been moving safes for decades. I didnt want to announce to my neighborhood that I was moving a 6 ft tall safe either so appreciate that he didn't show up in a big box truck with "MILLIGAN SAFE AND VAULT" plastered on it.

Instead of buying one big safe that's a pain to move I bought two smaller safes that could be moved by two guys. Then I bolted them together and to the floor.
All the space and security of a big safe but no moving costs.

I have a 4 wheel headstone dolly rated at over a ton you are welcome to borrow. You get that much weight that is that tall you better know what you are doing because when things go wrong it goes fast and usually ends poorly. I asked Roger at Eastern for a quote to move a 1700 lb Mosler from one building to another on my property w/grade change and one step, it was $900.

Instead of buying one big safe that's a pain to move I bought two smaller safes that could be moved by two guys. Then I bolted them together and to the floor.
All the space and security of a big safe but no moving costs.
I was going to post this. This is why I prefer multiple, smaller safes. An added bonus is you can separate things, for example the safe queens or collectibles all go together. And if you don't have a ton of space they could be in separate rooms.

Dan - Milligan Safe in Whitman. 857-800-6694. Safe and Vault Services | Milligan Safe & Vault | Boston-Whitman, MA

Dan is awesome. He showed up in an F250, brought a heavy neumatic dolly and hydraulic lift tailgate, heavy plastic rollers, had my 1300 lb safe in my basement, wedged perfectly into the notch in my foundation in a little over a half an hour. Great guy and very very reasonable cost. Been moving safes for decades. I didnt want to announce to my neighborhood that I was moving a 6 ft tall safe either so appreciate that he didn't show up in a big box truck with "MILLIGAN SAFE AND VAULT" plastered on it.

I bought a pharmacy cabinet (7 ga, way thicker than my tractor supply safe) from him, reasonable price and he has REAL safes too (TL30 TL15).

Check out the safe moves on his facebook page.

Piano movers. This things weigh a ton and are more delicate than a safe.

Apropos to very little: I called a piano guy to come take a baby grand away, I figured he'd need a crane and a boom truck. Showed up my himself, a dolly, and a little s-10 pickup, took it out by himself and up on his truck in 12 minutes, I was floored. One of the more amazing things I've seen.

Back
Top Bottom