Moving a gun safe into the basement?

As other have said. Try to get the door off. Not only will it significantly lighten the load but it will also give you a a spot to grab. Also do your measurements first and carefully. You don't want to get near the bottom of the stairs only to find out you need to remove the door or in my case the entire door frame. I was able to do mine solo with a motorcycle lift and some 2x4s and 2x6s but I also didn't have a set of stairs just a plate to get over.

Can anyone recommend a good moving company to bring an 1100 lb safe into a basement through a bulkhead? 8 steps. Worcester county.

I've been quoted 800-900 so far.

Thanks!

Just keep shopping rigging companies, piano movers, safe companies, etc. Bulkheads are a pain in the nutsack which is probably why they want that much money.

Honestly for a huge safe I still haven't wavered from what I said earlier- this is one of those things where if you paid someone else to do it you'll be glad you didn't have to f**k with it. $500-800 to stay away from an ER + avoid a shitload of wasted time + avoid property damage is cheap money.

-Mike

Just keep shopping rigging companies, piano movers, safe companies, etc. Bulkheads are a pain in the nutsack which is probably why they want that much money.

Honestly for a huge safe I still haven't wavered from what I said earlier- this is one of those things where if you paid someone else to do it you'll be glad you didn't have to f**k with it. $500-800 to stay away from an ER + avoid a shitload of wasted time + avoid property damage is cheap money.

-Mike
I have reached that age where this is finally making sense

Bulkheads are a pain in the nutsack which is probably why they want that much money.
Actually, it's supply&demand, with few suppliers for the specialized service.

When I did a local move (two towns over) moving an entire household that took three men a full day didn't cost any more than paying three men from Eastern Security for 2 hours labor to move the safe. The Eastern rate was about $100 per person hour. Pricey, but very competent and considerate movers.

OK guys, any ideas on how to move a 700 pound gun safe...

Very carefully.

More than once I moved a safe, which weighed only about 400 lbs, by my onsies but never up/down stairs; at that point you need smart, strong, capable assistance and a dolly with securing straps.

If you have the money, spend the money and have it moved by pros; an injured/destroyed back/neck is not worth the $ you will save.

It's a little time consuming but this works very well.

First, fill the entire bulkhead with sand or soil. Enough that it also spills in a big heap into the basement.

Maneuver the safe onto the flat surface of the sand, at the top.

Using a small shovel and rake, remove small amounts of the sand from underneath (working from a "safe" distance!)

The safe will begin to drop down into the basement as you remove more material, eventually leaving the safe on the floor of the basement. Use a regular dolly the rest of the way.

Alternatively, a powered, stair climbing dolly or pay the pros to risk their backs, not yours.

If you do the sand method, please videotape it!

i just hired Real Deal Van lines for my move last week. The four young strong but not so smart movers forgot their dolly at the home I moved from. When they got the safe to the basement stairs, they strapped it up with some blankets and muscled it slowly down.

I think they added $150 to the move for the safe. Quite a bargain.

When I brought my 600 lb safe into my basement I put ramps down the bulk head stairs, got a dolly that has the strap attachment, hooked a tow strap to the dolly and the front of my truck, got 2 friends to get it rolling and guided it down the stairs as I moved the truck forward, I will do the reverse to get it out when I sell the house and move. It worked great, and a lot easier than I expected.

I did the ramp and truck with a come along. I did it myself and at no time was it difficult. I should have removed the door. I will remove the door next time. I just need a hand with that.

I did the ramp and truck with a come along. I did it myself and at no time was it difficult. I should have removed the door. I will remove the door next time. I just need a hand with that.

If your avatar is a selfie, I'll be happy to help.

Self preservation notice: At the time of this post, Shovel's avatar was this:

29441.gif

I only mention this because I once made such a comment and the wiseacre changed their avatar to this:

ron-jeremy.jpg

I find that a portable gantry crane helps....along with removable stair treads
I moved two large pieces of woodworking equipment out of in laws basement thru a bulkhead. One was 3 hp stand-alone shaper (550 lbs) other floor standing planer/ joiner. 400+ lbs. Riggers were hired to move them in. I removed stairs from bulk head. Used section of scaffolding on wheels as gantry. Chain hoist to raise them. 2 x 12 under wheels to move gantry. So basically 1776’s comment.

for a safe that big, it would be easier to assemble the whole thing by part, as in just build your safe with reinforced concrete walls etc.

If your avatar is a selfie, I'll be happy to help.

Self preservation notice: At the time of this post, Shovel's avatar was this:

View attachment 226786

I only mention this because I once made such a comment and the wiseacre changed their avatar to this:

View attachment 226787

Dude this is totally me.
I am offended. I am also a 50 year old dude. LOL!!! I do however identify as this person.

Back
Top Bottom