• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

movies and ricochet

Why can't i see the good guy catch a bullet from shooting the door he's standing one meter from shooting the deadbolt.

It is a poor idea but hollywood BS aside, a typical handgun ricochet is (statistically) unlikely to cause serious injury unless it catches you in the eyes/face/neck. Occasionally dramatic ricochets causing serious injury happen, but those are usually up there in lottery ticket range. I took a 230 gr .45 ACP ball round to my wrist deflected from a target about 20 feet away and got nothing more than a nice bruise out of the ordeal.

-Mike

A bullet will never bounce straight back at you. Almost never. Like mike said, at handgun velocities its not a worry anyway.

If you ever get the chance to shoot a suppressed handgun with subsonic ammo, you will find that you CAN hear the bullets ricochet just like in the movies. Its actually a little crazy. Pop . . pewwwww.

It is a poor idea but hollywood BS aside, a typical handgun ricochet is (statistically) unlikely to cause serious injury unless it catches you in the eyes/face/neck. Occasionally dramatic ricochets causing serious injury happen, but those are usually up there in lottery ticket range. I took a 230 gr .45 ACP ball round to my wrist deflected from a target about 20 feet away and got nothing more than a nice bruise out of the ordeal.

-Mike

Same as me, except caught it in the stomach. Couple inches lower and we would be talking pain.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

I took a ricochet from a 7.63x39 in my left elbow. Left an awesome scar and bruised the bone. Hurts like a motherfugger. Beats taking a direct hit any day tho.

I took a ricochet from a 7.63x39 in my left elbow. Left an awesome scar and bruised the bone. Hurts like a motherfugger. Beats taking a direct hit any day tho.

If you think about it, the average rifle bullet is running 3x the speed of the average pistol bullet. So there is much more energy left after it hits something.

I've never seen anyone's skin broken by a handgun ricochet. I've been present when a rifle bullet drew blood once. It hit my friend in the forehead.

Don

If you think about it, the average rifle bullet is running 3x the speed of the average pistol bullet. So there is much more energy left after it hits something.

I've never seen anyone's skin broken by a handgun ricochet. I've been present when a rifle bullet drew blood once. It hit my friend in the forehead.

Don

I got hit by a ricochet from a 9mm on a steel plate at 25 yards that drew blood. Granted, it hit me in the ear, and it was a pretty small nick, but it did technically draw blood. I assume it was a bit of jacket with a sharp edge that hit me.

I got mine in the shin. 45 ACP 230gr ball bounced back from a steel target at 15 yards. Sonofabitch that hurt.

Same while doing a pin shoot, came back and hit me square in the knuckle. Didn't break the skin, but some how, it broke my finger from about 10 yards out. Good thing I was wearing gloves.

When ever I hear of ricochets, I always thing of this video:

Last edited by a moderator:

Don

I have seen wounds from handgun ricochets but they're mostly from discarded jackets, although slugs coming back leave some nice welts. I've also witnessed 2 different guys in 10 years at bowling pin matches take a "returning" .45 slug to their junk. [laugh]

-Mike

I got hit in the cheek by a flattened piece of lead at a local indoor range.

It did not break the skin, but it got my attention.

Back
Top Bottom