• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MoveOn.org pushing for gun control

Agreed, by strict party lines it is not an apples to apples comparison. By political climate I was not looking at just party lines (although you are correct when it comes to votes that is the main concern), I was taking in consideration the all-out attack on firearms by the media and liberal groups, a liberal administration, and gun-related tragedies for them to grandstand on.

My point, which I admittedly have not done a good job making, is I find it impossible to trust congress critters to look out for or follow the will of the people, especially when it comes to gun rights. (Look at Regan banning machine guns, Bush Sr. passing the '89 import ban). Portions of gun rights are one of the first bargaining chips tossed in when there is something politicians want to haggle for, and the RINOs and Fudds do nothing to stop it. I'm not in any way saying "This is it!! They are going to ban guns!!", but I am taking a worse-case look at what could happen if we do not remain vigilant.

And your last concerns are by far the worst threat, you hit the nail on the head. That would not amaze me in the least.

You are Sooooo wrong about 1993.

It wasn't the gun incidents, it was a crime wave of biblical proportions. The AWB was part of a much larger anti-crime package. It wasn't a stand-alone issue and no one had any idea how badly it would backfire politically or they would never have passed it. the crime rate was through the roof, particularly juvenile and gang crime, largely in relation to a demographics bubble that hit about that time.

In addition to the AWB, several states adopted 3-strikes laws, mandatory minimums were put up for a whole host of crimes and in general there was a massive "law and order" push, of which the AWB was an overall small part. (little did they know how much that would eclipse everything else).

The climate in re gun control is not remotely like that when the AWB was passed.

Back
Top Bottom