• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Moved to TX; is my MA LTC still valid?

I moved to Texas and I'm waiting for my TX "Concealed Handgun License" to be issues (probably 1-2 months).

In the mean time, Texas recognizes MA LTC's as being valid for carry.

Is there any way for me to know for sure if my MA LTC is still valid? If I'm reading chapter 140, section 131(f) implies that my license "shall be" revoked since I'm no longer qualified for a MA resident license (being a non-resident of MA), but I haven't received any written notice of a revocation and no one has showed up to ask for the physical license.

(f) A license issued under this section shall be revoked or suspended by the licensing authority, or his designee, upon the occurrence of any event that would have disqualified the holder from being issued such license or from having such license renewed. A license may be revoked or suspended by the licensing authority if it appears that the holder is no longer a suitable person to possess such license. Any revocation or suspension of a license shall be in writing and shall state the reasons therefor. Upon revocation or suspension, the licensing authority shall take possession of such license and the person whose license is so revoked or suspended shall take all actions required under the provisions of section 129D. No appeal or post-judgment motion shall operate to stay such revocation or suspension. Notices of revocation and suspension shall be forwarded to the commissioner of the department of criminal justice information services and the commissioner of probation and shall be included in the criminal justice information system. A revoked or suspended license may be reinstated only upon the termination of all disqualifying conditions, if any.

EDIT: I did sent the required certified letters to the PD that issued my license, the Austin PD, and the MA Firearms records bureau. I also have no intent of carrying in MA (even though I may visit from time to time...still have family up north). MA license would have expired in February 2014.

Last edited:
Nope, once notified FRB invalidates your LTC.

This is the key - "once notified". Some people will claim the license "becomes invalid" upon moving without any notification/expiration action, however, I have not been able to find that in any statute or case law.

Since the FRB considers such invalidation of a license as "early expiration", the LTC should still provide lifetime protection against criminal carry charges in MA (provided there is no subsequent MA denial or statutory unsuitability).

This is the key - "once notified". Some people will claim the license "becomes invalid" upon moving without any notification/expiration action, however, I have not been able to find that in any statute or case law.

Since the FRB considers such invalidation of a license as "early expiration", the LTC should still provide lifetime protection against criminal carry charges in MA (provided there is no subsequent MA denial or statutory unsuitability).

So they consider the license "expired early" even though the expiration date on the license hasn't passed?

Is that actually legal, or is that the standard "we make it up as we go along" Massachusetts bullshit?

So they consider the license "expired early" even though the expiration date on the license hasn't passed?

Is that actually legal, or is that the standard "we make it up as we go along" Massachusetts bullshit?

Yes. And there is nothing in MGLs on the matter, so yes they make it up as they go. Their position is that since you are no longer a resident you are no longer eligible to hold that license. And since the NR LTC is a whole different animal (under a different section of law) they won't slide it over to be a NR LTC, you have to jump thru all the hoops (and personal visit) all over again for a 1 year LTC.

Yes, but this is a good thing.

If they considered the license "terminated" rather than "expired", the lifetime protection against criminal charges for carry for an individual with an expired LTC, no statutory prohibition, and no denial of a renewal would not apply.

Their position is that since you are no longer a resident you are no longer eligible to hold that license.
Curious, since non-residents may be issued regular (ie, not non-resident) licenses if they own a business in a town, even if they are a non-resident of MA. There is no coding on the license to indicate it was issued for such a purpose and it does not differ in any way from a resident license.

And no, "having a job in a town" does not count; you have to own the business.

Last edited:
Texas is not the haven of liberty that many make it out to be. They like guns, which is good. But compared to actually free states, they leave a lot to be desired. Texas has a big powerful government, which just happens to like guns. Unlike states like the Dakotas, which intentionally have underfunded weak state governments.

Drive through Bismark some time. The entire city looks like a strip mall. There are no gold domes signifying that it is the capitol of ND. Shoot, the most impressive building in Bismark is the Mormon temple.

Don

Back
Top Bottom