• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Moved to Rhode Island

Hello,
My father is a long-time member and recommended I reach out to you with my question. I recently obtained my Class A Unrestricted License to Carry Firearms in MA. I have moved to RI and want to know what the laws are with transportation and ownership. I got the run around from the state, who eventually sent me to the Attorney General's office who told me they do not give out free legal advice and to look online. So, I read the legal verbiage and got really confused.

What are the laws assuming I do not have any RI permits/licenses?

Can I have rifles, shotguns, and handguns in my new home in Providence, RI. Can I transport these guns to the range and my parents' house in MA? I understand I cannot carry loaded handguns on me unless I am "merely passing through the state with no intention to remain," but can I bring a handgun to the range if its in a case?

Thank you,

Sucker. Should have stayed out of RI.

But that aside, yes, unloaded and locked in the trunk you can transport anything to a range and back to your home, per state law. Yes, you can have anything you want in your house. There is no registration in RI and registration is specifically outlawed by state statute. The only prohibition is NFA items. RI outlaws all of them. Which is weird because even MA and CT don't do that.

Do you plan on getting a MA non resident LTC, or are you saying you already obtained a non resident MA LTC after you moved to RI?

If your MA LTC is a resident, when you change your residency to RI, do not forget to alert the town and the CHSB of your move. Dont want to become DQ'ed

Last edited:
You need a blue card to purchase handguns, Ammo and long guns have no permit required. If you want to CCW, you need a permit, depending on the town you live in, you might want to get an LTC through them or the State AG, its $40 for 4 years which is quite a bargain these days, there isn't a ban on standard capacity 30 round mags or anything silly that MA has. That pretty much sums it up for you.

Thanks for the responses! To clear some things up, I received my LTC as a MA resident and will be remaining a MA resident under my parents' address. If RI LTC is only $40 for 4 years, I might do that as well, assuming I can get it without changing my license to RI.

Something tells me that you can get into some trouble with Providence address and guns in RI with MA residency. Pardon, you're attempting to sit on 2 chairs- never works well.

Something tells me that you can get into some trouble with Providence address and guns in RI with MA residency. Pardon, you're attempting to sit on 2 chairs- never works well.
In RI a license is not required for possesion in your home. As someone pointed out you need a blue card to purchase a handgun (not required for long guns).

The other thing to be aware of is the rather stringent transport laws. There is a limited number of places you can go with a handgun.

The bottom line, you can move with your guns to RI, no license or registration needed. You can transport your long guns anywhere, handguns to the range, your place of business, gun shop, and when moving.

Please study the laws for yourself and don't depend on my (or anyone else's) advice.

Thanks for the responses! To clear some things up, I received my LTC as a MA resident and will be remaining a MA resident under my parents' address. If RI LTC is only $40 for 4 years, I might do that as well, assuming I can get it without changing my license to RI.

Be sure you do everything right. For all intents and purposes, I would apply the "where do you hang your hat at night" to determine residency. If you intend yo move to RI, then you need to do it right

Back
Top Bottom