• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Moved To NH... now?!

So I reg my woods truck in NH first. So I can get my NH lic. But.... My house I'm building has no address yet. So the nice old lady at my town hall says. "We will just use this (insert random ) address". It's not my address but she says we can fix it when 911 confirms my house #. But my issue is she didn't even use the right street name. Lol. So now I don't want to get my drivers lic with a complete wrong address on it. At least if it were my street I would. Because I own the whole road. I'll be the only house on it. How easy is it to change address on NH lic. My gunshop is holding guns for me until I get the NH lic. Thoughts?

So I reg my woods truck in NH first. So I can get my NH lic. But.... My house I'm building has no address yet. So the nice old lady at my town hall says. "We will just use this (insert random ) address". It's not my address but she says we can fix it when 911 confirms my house #. But my issue is she didn't even use the right street name. Lol. So now I don't want to get my drivers lic with a complete wrong address on it. At least if it were my street I would. Because I own the whole road. I'll be the only house on it. How easy is it to change address on NH lic. My gunshop is holding guns for me until I get the NH lic. Thoughts?

Changing your address is easy. You fill out a form and go to the DMV. So far my experiences at the Epping and Dover DMV's have been good. You get the choice of paying like $5 for a new license with the correct address or slapping a sticker on it. Every now and then you run into a gun store who has issues with the sticker and will ask to see your car registration to verify the new address.

Ummm, why do you have a gun store "holding guns for me until I get the NH lic"?? You don't need ANY license to own guns in NH, only to carry concealed.

Ummm, why do you have a gun store "holding guns for me until I get the NH lic"?? You don't need ANY license to own guns in NH, only to carry concealed.

If he doesn't have a real address for residency (eg, for the 4473) he cannot buy a handgun in NH from a dealer. He probably means "drivers license" which is the piece of ID that most dealers want to see to prove residency.

-Mike

If he doesn't have a real address for residency (eg, for the 4473) he cannot buy a handgun in NH from a dealer. He probably means "drivers license" which is the piece of ID that most dealers want to see to prove residency.

-Mike

Ok, that makes more sense... Just was hoping he didn't have a shop holding the guns he already owns...

BTW, enjoy not having the state dictate how you can store, or transport your firearms, like they do in MA...

So I reg my woods truck in NH first. So I can get my NH lic. But.... My house I'm building has no address yet. So the nice old lady at my town hall says. "We will just use this (insert random ) address". Thoughts?

Where are you currently living? Can you even get a license at an address that doesn't exist yet? Weird.

You can just print out a change of address and send it in. They dont even send a sticker anymore. I just wrote mine in crayon on the back of the license. Never had a problem buying guns. This isnt Mass you know.

Changing your address is easy. You fill out a form and go to the DMV. So far my experiences at the Epping and Dover DMV's have been good. You get the choice of paying like $5 for a new license with the correct address or slapping a sticker on it. Every now and then you run into a gun store who has issues with the sticker and will ask to see your car registration to verify the new address.

Fee is $3 per NH Dept of Safety website.

Also FYI, a NH non-driver identification card is available for $10.

You can also get a CDL Endorsement for TANK VEHICLES for an additional $10 :D

Last edited:
Fee is $3 per NH Dept of Safety website.

Also FYI, a NH non-driver identification card is available for $10.

This is a great option for people who may have a vacation/weekend home in NH. As many of you know the ATF considers you a resident of that state if you have such property while you are residing there.

A drivers license should be with the state in which you are domiciled. (primary residence). Typically, the ATF allows you to present a tax bill or vehicle registration or something like that to prove residence in a state that is not the same as your DL.

But some dealers get twitchy about that. So the $10 ID card sounds like a good idea.

Don

"We will just use this (insert random ) address". It's not my address but she says we can fix it when 911 confirms my house #.

Pardon my ignorance (and thread hijack) but... that's the process? (I ask because our lot doesn't have a house number yet, mainly because it doesn't have a house yet.)

You should have asked for a free new name and tax ID to go along with it.

Get a PO Box, have them print only the PO Box on your DL.

Get a PO Box. Then you can have NH print your only your "mailing address" on drivers license, and they will print BOTH your "mailing address" and "legal address" on your car registration, and you can show your NH car registration and NH license to the gun shop to complete your 4473.

Gov't has made it very difficult to have state ID from multiple states simultaneously, there are a few exceptions. You are only allowed one drivers license, no matter how many states you live in, the address on your driver license is the one that counts, so usually required to surrender all out-of-state licenses/ID cards when you apply for a driver's license in a new state.

One of the goals of “Real ID” is to eliminate the possibility of having multiple valid IDs. Implementation of Phase 1 began on January 20, 2014. People born on or after December 1, 1964, will have to obtain a REAL ID by December 1, 2014. Those born before December 1, 1964, will have until December 1, 2017, to obtain their REAL ID. Without it, no Federal agency (including TSA) will believe you are who you claim to be.

Get a PO Box. Then you can have NH print your only your "mailing address" on drivers license, and they will print BOTH your "mailing address" and "legal address" on your car registration, and you can show your NH car registration and NH license to the gun shop to complete your 4473.

Gov't has made it very difficult to have state ID from multiple states simultaneously, there are a few exceptions. You are only allowed one drivers license, no matter how many states you live in, the address on your driver license is the one that counts, so usually required to surrender all out-of-state licenses/ID cards when you apply for a driver's license in a new state.

One of the goals of “Real ID” is to eliminate the possibility of having multiple valid IDs. Implementation of Phase 1 began on January 20, 2014. People born on or after December 1, 1964, will have to obtain a REAL ID by December 1, 2014. Those born before December 1, 1964, will have until December 1, 2017, to obtain their REAL ID. Without it, no Federal agency (including TSA) will believe you are who you claim to be.

I don't know the number off hand, but a good number of states (including NH), passed laws telling the feds to GFY and made complying with real ID illegal. NH was one of those states and our drivers license does not comply with RealID.

Soloman,

I was going to mention that NH was refusing to comply, but wasn't sure.

Kevin - you are overstating the difficulty. You can get multiple IDs, like the $10 NH non drivers license id mentioned above. Its mutiple DLs that they are trying to eliminate.

There are also ways around the single DL. It could be as simple as saying that you lost your old DL when you go to get the new one. Or better yet, get a duplicate from your first state before going to teh second state. Then just turn in the duplicate.

But again, such things aren't necessary to be able to buy firearms lawfully in mutlple states as a resident.

When I applied for my MA LTC, I had just closed on a home. At that point in time I didn't have a single bill or credit card addressed to my MA residence. I asked the licensing officer if the HUD statement from the closing could serve as proof of residence. He said that would be fine.

There is always a legal way to get this stuff done if you are willing to get creative.

One thing. If a dealer ever balks at taking something like a tax bill as proof of residence, direct him to the instructions for questions 2 and 20B located on pages 4 and 5 of the 4473. They explicitly acknowledge the legality of what I've discussed.

Or on a vehicle.

What like a technical ?

primera-pagina-oleo-lienzo-110-x-150-cms-2008-red-copy-450x328.jpg

I don't know the number off hand, but a good number of states (including NH), passed laws telling the feds to GFY and made complying with real ID illegal. NH was one of those states and our drivers license does not comply with RealID.

And in response, the feds simply deemed that the NH license does meet the standard.

Why would it take more than a couple of minutes for 911 to confirm an address?[thinking]

They have to physically come view my location. I'm a few miles down a few dirt roads. With no other houses around. Apparently it's the process, the town starts by requesting the confirmation. Even though I own the road. They can't let me make my own number, they say it goes by predetermined sections of frontage. So 5000' feet could make me have a house number of 20 if the town requires 250' per lot. Even though all the frontage could be mine only. I guess they are thinking if it ever gets developed.

Thanks for all the responses.

1 Hard Drive

Can you name your driveway?

If your driveway is of any consequence you can name it; some NH towns mandate all cul-de-sacs and most new driveways be named.

They have to physically come view my location. I'm a few miles down a few dirt roads. With no other houses around. Apparently it's the process, the town starts by requesting the confirmation. Even though I own the road. They can't let me make my own number, they say it goes by predetermined sections of frontage. So 5000' feet could make me have a house number of 20 if the town requires 250' per lot. Even though all the frontage could be mine only. I guess they are thinking if it ever gets developed.

Thanks for all the responses.

If I ever get to leave MA for good, I am going to name my driveway FU-MA street.

What like a technical ?

primera-pagina-oleo-lienzo-110-x-150-cms-2008-red-copy-450x328.jpg

No. Like leaning against a vehicle. Learned about it in Hunter's Ed. Don't lean a loaded rifle against the vehicle or lay it on the vehicle or place it in the vehicle. Unload the long gun first. Of course if you have your P&R you can keep your handgun on your person.

I improved an old mine road. ( looked like a path lol) 1000's of tons of material and lots of dozin, culverts etc. It apparently had a name in the late 18 early 19 hundreds. So I can't name it as it had a name on record already.

Back
Top Bottom