Moved to Maine

Was talking to a co-worker, fellow gun owner, and he informed me he moved to Maine, sold his house in Chelmsford. I asked him if he has a Maine license and he stated he still has a non-resident Maine license. I informed him his Ma. license is null and void and he needs to apply for a Maine resident license. He told me his Ma. license is still good for 3 yrs. and I informed him it was null and void as soon as he established residency in Maine. He was not happy and when I informed him of the process to acquire a non-resident Ma. license he was even less happy.

Maine is constitutional carry. What's he need a Maine license for?

Is it bc you can't get a MA non-res license without some sort of out of state license? In that case the solution is easy: put MA permanently in the rear view mirror.

Between the uninformed and the fudds, and those with the “I got my license cause I’m in the donut shop crowd with the townies” and they don’t care cause they think they are exempt,

Is why ma. has the worst gun laws in the nation.

He should convert his Non Res to Res then he doesn't have to declare it to any LEO. He can also carry it in some parks. Then of course the second part of post #2 applies.

Is it bc you can't get a MA non-res license without some sort of out of state license? In that case the solution is easy: put MA permanently in the rear view mirror.
I think he needs a Maine license for carrying in state parks. But I have been wrong before.

My co-worker works in Ma. and has relatives here. He was under the impression his Ma. license was still good.

It "may" be good still. Your duty is to inform that you moved. Nowhere (my understanding) does the law say that your license then becomes void. I actually had to have the PD/FRB "cancel" my resident LTC when I moved out of state so that I could get my "resident business" LTC issued by a different town. At the time I remember thinking "well, hell, if it didn't auto cancel when I moved, why the hell do I need to apply?"

However - I am not a lawyer so I wouldn't tell him this is fact but it may be worth a call to FRB to find out.

IIRC, if you are unlicensed in ME you have a duty to inform; with a license that goes away.

Back
Top Bottom