• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Moved to green town from not so green, green town

So,

I lived in Attleboro and got my license there with restrictions for T&H. I had it there for a year before I moved to Rehoboth. CLEO in Attleboro gave me restrictions because I was under 26, not for any other reason. He said if I was 26, unrestricted no problem... I moved to Rehoboth now, and am 23. I applied my 21st birthday, didn't get it till 9 months later.

I have seen folks writing a letter to the old CLEO about either expiring license or removing restrictions.. Can someone assist me in writing a properly worded letter? I just don't know how to write it in a convincing way, rather than "Hey, uhm, wanna remove my restrictions? you kinda put em on there for the most arbitrary reason..."

I want these damned restrictions removed... If anyone can help with that it'd be greatly appreciated

Thanks guys.

Last edited:
So,
I applied my 21st birthday, didn't get it till 9 months later... now.
Thanks guys.

That confuses me... but anyways... it sounds like you want to have CLEO in Attleboro cancel your current LTC, and you will want to re-apply in Rehoboth. From reading threads on here talking about this, I gathered that most recommendations when moving to a new town is to get license cancelled, and re-apply(only when you are trying to remove restrictions). If you were staying in Attleboro, then writing a letter may do the trick. My only thought would be if you write a letter to remove restrictions, and Attleboro CLEO says no... following that up with asking him to then cancel your license he may give you hard time now knowing your intent.

Have you checked with the issuing authority in your new town and confirmed they are on board? If so, I would write that you have moved and would like to have a license under the supervision of your new town, along with a request to have your old license expired early.

Here was my letter. Most is not going to be applicable to you, but it worked for me. No restrictions.

Chief XXXX,

In 2002, I was issued a ClassA license through Lowell, Ma. with Target & Hunting restrictions. When I renewed my license in 2008, I was alsoallowed an Employment restriction based on my proven responsibility of havingsuch a license, as well as at the recommendation of my employer.

After the most recent licensewas issued in 2008, I moved to TOWN where many of my family members haveroots. As required by law, I haveprocessed the change of address with the Firearms Bureau and with the TOWN Policedepartment as well. I have also sincebecome a part-owner of BUSINESS NAME. Though we do deal with some cash at times, itis public belief that our type of business deals with large sums of money. We are also two blocks away from the shelter which provides services for homeless men and women in our area.

After I gained majority ownershipof the business, I contacted the issuing authority in Lowell to inquire aboutthe removal of the restrictions on my license. The Chief of Police informed me that, had I still lived in Lowell or hadmy Business been located in Lowell, he would allow the restrictions to beremoved. Since neither of those wasapplicable, the Chief of Lowell suggested that I contact the issuing authorityin TOWN. He confirmed that if youfelt as he did, he would agree to early-expire my current license, so I couldbe issued a non-restricted Class A through TOWN.

I have six years previous militaryexperience within an Intelligence Unit that required a Top Secret clearance andhave had extensive firearms safety training. I am (Was) a member at the Mystic Valley Gun Clubwhere I am able to continue to practice firearms safety and responsibility on aregular basis. I consider firearms ownership one of the greatestresponsibilities a person can have.

I have been licensed for overten years and have acted in a safe and responsible manner during that time andwill continue to do so.

At this time I would like youto consider allowing the Chief of Police in Lowell to early-expire my currentlicense so that I may be permitted to obtain a Class A through TOWN, withoutrestrictions.

I would be happy to meet withyou in your office or even speak with you over the phone at a time that is convenientfor you.

I appreciate your time andconsideration in this matter and look forward to hearing from you.

Good luck

Sincerely,

That confuses me... but anyways... it sounds like you want to have CLEO in Attleboro cancel your current LTC, and you will want to re-apply in Rehoboth. From reading threads on here talking about this, I gathered that most recommendations when moving to a new town is to get license cancelled, and re-apply(only when you are trying to remove restrictions). If you were staying in Attleboro, then writing a letter may do the trick. My only thought would be if you write a letter to remove restrictions, and Attleboro CLEO says no... following that up with asking him to then cancel your license he may give you hard time now knowing your intent.

I miswrote that sentence, sorry. I will edit it.

Anyways, yeah essentially that's what I am looking to do but I figured writing the letter may be a better idea first... But I see your point in how that may give him more reason to hassle me about it. So I should check with my new town CLEO before talking to the Attleboro CLEO?

If the Attleboro CLEO does expire early, and this go-round for LTC app takes as long as it did last time, will I be in any sort of trouble for having my firearms in my house? Because "technically" I won't have an ltc for the time between.

Back
Top Bottom