• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Moved to Arlington - Looking for Clubs to Join

Hi all,

Well, I've been doing my research and it looks like I'm not going to bother choosing between HSC and BRP. I'll probably just join both.

I've also decided that I'm going to join the Mass Rifle Association since its so close to my place and offers a lot more than the Mystic Valley Gun club.

I've put together a little spreadsheet that is here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtccOj4JQ2dydEN5aDZsM3FjaU4tRGc3OGpkMTE1ZFE

One thing about MA Rifle that I'm not sure of is the access. Can you get into the Loeb range any time of day with a card or code? Its key that my "close" club have 24 access to an indoor range.

Also, how is the ventilation at Mass Rifle? I've had several people I shoot with come down with elevated lead levels and i'm trying to do everything I can to reduce the risk.

Thanks,

Don

I'm late to the party, but dont forget about Woburn Sportsman in Bedford, MA. Indoor range is open 6am to midnight with keycard access. There are rules such as no rapid fire and 10 round mag limits, but the indoor range is 50ft and very nice. Added bonuses include 25yrd pistol and 200yrd outdoor rifle (and you can figre more than single shot [wink]). I do belive WSA also has CMP matches. I can show you the indoor range anytime or the club's open house is August 18th.

Hi all,

Well, I've been doing my research and it looks like I'm not going to bother choosing between HSC and BRP. I'll probably just join both.

I've also decided that I'm going to join the Mass Rifle Association since its so close to my place and offers a lot more than the Mystic Valley Gun club.

I've put together a little spreadsheet that is here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtccOj4JQ2dydEN5aDZsM3FjaU4tRGc3OGpkMTE1ZFE

One thing about MA Rifle that I'm not sure of is the access. Can you get into the Loeb range any time of day with a card or code? Its key that my "close" club have 24 access to an indoor range.

Also, how is the ventilation at Mass Rifle? I've had several people I shoot with come down with elevated lead levels and i'm trying to do everything I can to reduce the risk.

Thanks,

Don

You can get into Loeb anytime. It is open 24/7. Access is thru your keycard. Ventilation is ok. They just replaced the entire system last year and its much better than what it used to be. It's not a state of the art indoor range, but the air quality is ok.

I also noticed that you put 22LR only as a restriction on the indoor range in your spreadsheet. That restriction is true for the upstairs indoor range only. The Loeb range is downstairs and allows you to shoot almost anything (pistol, rifle, shotgun, full auto). Both indoor ranges are 24/7 access.

Last edited:
Hmm. I thought I had my mind made up.

I went to two Woburn's web site and can't find any info on the facilities.

Indoor ranges,
what calibers allowed?
machine guns allowed? (amazingly, they are at mass rifle)
how's the ventilation?

Thanks,

Don

WSA allows jacketed bullets, but no magnum loads inside (outside you're good to go). No rapid fire allowed anywhere so, No full auto allowed. Ventiliation is good and the range was redone not too long ago (2-3 years?). They do maintanance and test the air flow regularly.

Are there limitations at WSA concerning distances on the indoor range? I seem to recall that you have to shoot at 50', that you can't move the target closer, but I may be mistaken.

Are there limitations at WSA concerning distances on the indoor range? I seem to recall that you have to shoot at 50', that you can't move the target closer, but I may be mistaken.

You are mistaken. Lanes 4-7 are open for 25ft or 50ft.

I'm a little late to the party, but I'll just add that as an Arlington resident, I went through the same analysis and went with Harvard. It takes 30 minutes with no traffic (I do drive a little fast).

Back
Top Bottom