Moved out of MA

I'm as ill-informed as anyone but when I moved, I assumed that the FRB was informed about 2 nanoseconds after I got my NH driver's license. For some reason I was under the impression that the boys in Chelsea had linked with the RMV. In any case I never sent any letters to anyone because it's none of their business where I am.
I'm never moving back and never go to that godforsaken place.

I'm as ill-informed as anyone but when I moved, I assumed that the FRB was informed about 2 nanoseconds after I got my NH driver's license. For some reason I was under the impression that the boys in Chelsea had linked with the RMV. In any case I never sent any letters to anyone because it's none of their business where I am.
I'm never moving back and never go to that godforsaken place.
They don't care regardless. And contrary to popular belief your existing LTC will not auto expire even if you rat yourself out. I know several people who retained active LTCs even years after leaving.

A relative moved out of MA last month and is asking me if they need to do anything. I told them to follow the letter of the law to notify FRB and the issuing town for the LTC. They're under the assumption they can still carry in MA until their LTC expires.... :rolleyes:

Sounds like wishful thinking to me

A relative moved out of MA last month and is asking me if they need to do anything. I told them to follow the letter of the law to notify FRB and the issuing town for the LTC. They're under the assumption they can still carry in MA until their LTC expires.... :rolleyes:

Sounds like you are believing assumed law that does not exist. Standard challenge - please site a law or court decision that renders the LTC invalid without it being revoked or expired? No credit for responses like "I know it to be fact", "A cop told me", "It only stands to reason", "it's in the law - I don't have time, you look it it", or the oft offered non-sequitur "I'd like to see you be the test case".

Carry privs end if the license is expired, which often does not happen with a change of address.

Sounds like you are believing assumed law that does not exist. Standard challenge - please site a law or court decision that renders the LTC invalid without it being revoked or expired? No credit for responses like "I know it to be fact", "A cop told me", "It only stands to reason", "it's in the law - I don't have time, you look it it", or the oft offered non-sequitur "I'd like to see you be the test case".

Carry privs end if the license is expired, which often does not happen with a change of address.
This is what a gun shop owner told me.....
Kidding.

Well that's good to know that as long as the LTC is still valid/active, and the LTC holder no longer lives in MA, they can still carry in MA. I mean I guess it makes sense but I just assumed it couldn't be that cut and dry here in MA [laugh]

Thanks Rob

Here is the form he can use to notify FRB and issuing town (of course, no need to inform the new out of state town) and he can continue to carry with his LTC until it expires.
https://www.mass.gov/doc/address-change-form-2/download

I'm sure that a few DAs and chiefs wouldn't hesitate to arrest and prosecute however. And I have no faith in the Mass Marsupial Court system to do the right thing . . . and even if they do, the victim will be out many thousands of dollars and months/years in legal limbo.

I'm sure that a few DAs and chiefs wouldn't hesitate to arrest and prosecute however. And I have no faith in the Mass Marsupial Court system to do the right thing . . . and even if they do, the victim will be out many thousands of dollars and months/years in legal limbo.

Lol good luck to them on that because the licenses aren't invalid. If a LEO bothered to search the LTC it will still show as valid. I would be shocked if anyone even got
charged with it.

There's even one MA PD even telling people this if they're moving out- "your existing license is good till it expires, then you have to get a non-resident one. "

This whole "your resident license dies when you move out of MA thing" is a left over Gliddenism or some kind of mental ejaculation from someone at EOPS. Someone "iwshing" it to be
that way doens't make it so. No different than the AG "wishing" that a rifle compliant with the as written MA AWB is an "assault weapon" by her "wish".

Because if the licenses were invalid, they'd actually be expiring them in the computer when they get the COA for a non MA address. That isn't happening and hasn't happened in
years. I am pretty sure if there was a legal basis for axing the LTCs, EOPS would be doing it. I've spoken to 3 people who moved out and ratted themselves out with a COA to EOPS/FRB and old issuing town. their LTCs all still passed validation on the portal months after moving out and notifying. I wouldn't be shocked if that has bsaically been the trend for a
decade, it's just that we don't get a lot of data because most people when they move out flip a nutty and throw their LTC into a shredder somewhere. [laugh]

There was a case where the ADA argued that the expired license protection was not applicable because the person held the FID or LTC (forget which) 15+ years ago, and the state argued the law was never intended to offer long term protection. The court held otherwise, and ruled the protection from the criminal statute still applied.

As to a "DA prosecuting" ... if the license were found to have been algorithmically "expired" by the state the offense would be the civil one of carry on an expired license, not carry without a license. Note that the expired license protection explicitly excludes "expired for failure to file a change of address" from those things that negate the exception (the others are becoming PP, or having a renewal of the expired license denied).

Someone "iwshing" it to be that way doens't make it so
Nor does declaring to be so on NES offering no cites, only assertions.

Having testified in a felony case, the DA definitely criminally charged on an old expired FID. They can and some will in spite of the clearly written law.

Having testified in a felony case, the DA definitely criminally charged on an old expired FID. They can and some will in spite of the clearly written law.
Maybe it was the case I am thinking of.

Did the court rule that the expired FID triggered the "expired license" exception?

Maybe it was the case I am thinking of.

Did the court rule that the expired FID triggered the "expired license" exception?
I was the expert witness and provided written proof of that which the judge (bench trial) accepted and tossed the charge out at trial.

Lol good luck to them on that because the licenses aren't invalid. If a LEO bothered to search the LTC it will still show as valid. I would be shocked if anyone even got
charged with it.

There's even one MA PD even telling people this if they're moving out- "your existing license is good till it expires, then you have to get a non-resident one. "

This whole "your resident license dies when you move out of MA thing" is a left over Gliddenism or some kind of mental ejaculation from someone at EOPS. Someone "iwshing" it to be
that way doens't make it so. No different than the AG "wishing" that a rifle compliant with the as written MA AWB is an "assault weapon" by her "wish".

Because if the licenses were invalid, they'd actually be expiring them in the computer when they get the COA for a non MA address. That isn't happening and hasn't happened in
years. I am pretty sure if there was a legal basis for axing the LTCs, EOPS would be doing it. I've spoken to 3 people who moved out and ratted themselves out with a COA to EOPS/FRB and old issuing town. their LTCs all still passed validation on the portal months after moving out and notifying. I wouldn't be shocked if that has bsaically been the trend for a
decade, it's just that we don't get a lot of data because most people when they move out flip a nutty and throw their LTC into a shredder somewhere. [laugh]

thank you for highlighting this. All the MGL requires is that one notifies the issuing authority and the FRB. It’s crazy that people think this invalidates your license. I remember going to an FRB appointment and there was a young guy waiting for his appointment and he was 3 years into a 6 year MA LTC. I told him he was wasting his time, so now he has a Resident LTC and a non-resident LTC.

I hear the same thing about many other states (especially New York) and so many people just assume they aren’t valid or they even go as far as to mail them back.

Some states to expire ones license as an operation of law; however, the crazy thing is….. their State statutes specify such.

The New York one is sad too because of all the work that goes into getting a license. All they have to do is notify the state police of their move and they can continue to recertify their licenses. They don’t even have to ever let their county clerk know

When I move out of MA im am NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER coming back. No matter where I stand with my LTC expiration date, the f***in stupid permission slip will just expire and that will be the end of that. I’ll probably throw it out the f***in window on the Pike once I break the State line

thank you for highlighting this. All the MGL requires is that one notifies the issuing authority and the FRB. It’s crazy that people think this invalidates your license. I remember going to an FRB appointment and there was a young guy waiting for his appointment and he was 3 years into a 6 year MA LTC. I told him he was wasting his time, so now he has a Resident LTC and a non-resident LTC.
Get ready for "proofs" on the self-expiration when you move out of state - I've seen:
- It only stands to reason
- I know it to be true
- I'd like you to be the test case
- A cop verbally told me
But never:
- MGL section ____ chapter ____
- MA vs John Doe, MA _____ court

Last edited:
Get ready for "proofs" on the self-expiration when you move out of state - I've seen:
- It only stands to reason
- I know it to be true
- I'd like you to be the case
- A cop verbally told me
But never:
- MGL section ____ chapter ____
- MA vs John Doe, MA _____ court
Exactly right.

The disconnect comes from a drivers license (specifically an operators license). Since around 1990, you can only have 1 and there is a database to where the new state requests your old DL is cancelled.

People just assume this to be true with firearms licenses and as we know, it’s not.

The 2 biggest myths I constantly hear are,

1. A drivers license defines residency.
2. Your cee cee dubya expires when you move (some states it will, most won’t).

When I move out of MA im am NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER coming back. No matter where I stand with my LTC expiration date, the f***in stupid permission slip will just expire and that will be the end of that. I’ll probably throw it out the f***in window on the Pike once I break the State line
Never say never. Life throws you curve balls. All you have to do is send a letter in order to keep your options open, just in case. Sometimes you have to move somewhere you would rather not, due to family, job, etc.

Finally, you are basically motivated by understandable anger at MA laws. But failing to notify the FRB isn't going to hurt them in any way -- they won't even know about it. All it does is give MA authorities ammunition to screw you if you ever do have to move back to MA.

Never say never. Life throws you curve balls. All you have to do is send a letter in order to keep your options open, just in case. Sometimes you have to move somewhere you would rather not, due to family, job, etc.

Finally, you are basically motivated by understandable anger at MA laws. But failing to notify the FRB isn't going to hurt them in any way -- they won't even know about it. All it does is give MA authorities ammunition to screw you if you ever do have to move back to MA.
I’m here now because of family. It’s only a matter of time before kids are grown then I’m out. Everyone older than me is dead, dont gotta worry about taking care of anyone. If kids wanna live with Dad then that is fine.

Back
Top Bottom