Moved out of MA

jasonj84

NES Member
Rating - 100%
92   0   0
I would update your address. Nothing in the MGL voids out a locally issued license if you move out of state. It’s still valid and you can buy ammo in MA with it, something you can’t do on a 131F license (non-res).
I am no longer a MA resident. Notified as above. Still have an active resident LTC that shows my non MA address. The FFL where I transferred a preban Ak in MA was a little confused when he gave me my MIRCS paperwork.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm as ill-informed as anyone but when I moved, I assumed that the FRB was informed about 2 nanoseconds after I got my NH driver's license. For some reason I was under the impression that the boys in Chelsea had linked with the RMV. In any case I never sent any letters to anyone because it's none of their business where I am.
I'm never moving back and never go to that godforsaken place.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I'm as ill-informed as anyone but when I moved, I assumed that the FRB was informed about 2 nanoseconds after I got my NH driver's license. For some reason I was under the impression that the boys in Chelsea had linked with the RMV. In any case I never sent any letters to anyone because it's none of their business where I am.
I'm never moving back and never go to that godforsaken place.
They don't care regardless. And contrary to popular belief your existing LTC will not auto expire even if you rat yourself out. I know several people who retained active LTCs even years after leaving.

andrew1220

NES Member
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
A relative moved out of MA last month and is asking me if they need to do anything. I told them to follow the letter of the law to notify FRB and the issuing town for the LTC. They're under the assumption they can still carry in MA until their LTC expires.... :rolleyes:

Sounds like wishful thinking to me

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
A relative moved out of MA last month and is asking me if they need to do anything. I told them to follow the letter of the law to notify FRB and the issuing town for the LTC. They're under the assumption they can still carry in MA until their LTC expires.... :rolleyes:

Sounds like you are believing assumed law that does not exist. Standard challenge - please site a law or court decision that renders the LTC invalid without it being revoked or expired? No credit for responses like "I know it to be fact", "A cop told me", "It only stands to reason", "it's in the law - I don't have time, you look it it", or the oft offered non-sequitur "I'd like to see you be the test case".

Carry privs end if the license is expired, which often does not happen with a change of address.

andrew1220

NES Member
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
Sounds like you are believing assumed law that does not exist. Standard challenge - please site a law or court decision that renders the LTC invalid without it being revoked or expired? No credit for responses like "I know it to be fact", "A cop told me", "It only stands to reason", "it's in the law - I don't have time, you look it it", or the oft offered non-sequitur "I'd like to see you be the test case".

Carry privs end if the license is expired, which often does not happen with a change of address.
This is what a gun shop owner told me.....
Kidding.

Well that's good to know that as long as the LTC is still valid/active, and the LTC holder no longer lives in MA, they can still carry in MA. I mean I guess it makes sense but I just assumed it couldn't be that cut and dry here in MA [laugh]

Thanks Rob

hpm

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

Here is the form he can use to notify FRB and issuing town (of course, no need to inform the new out of state town) and he can continue to carry with his LTC until it expires.
https://www.mass.gov/doc/address-change-form-2/download

Len-2A Training

Instructor
Instructor
NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 98.6%
71   1   0

I'm sure that a few DAs and chiefs wouldn't hesitate to arrest and prosecute however. And I have no faith in the Mass Marsupial Court system to do the right thing . . . and even if they do, the victim will be out many thousands of dollars and months/years in legal limbo.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I'm sure that a few DAs and chiefs wouldn't hesitate to arrest and prosecute however. And I have no faith in the Mass Marsupial Court system to do the right thing . . . and even if they do, the victim will be out many thousands of dollars and months/years in legal limbo.

Lol good luck to them on that because the licenses aren't invalid. If a LEO bothered to search the LTC it will still show as valid. I would be shocked if anyone even got
charged with it.

There's even one MA PD even telling people this if they're moving out- "your existing license is good till it expires, then you have to get a non-resident one. "

This whole "your resident license dies when you move out of MA thing" is a left over Gliddenism or some kind of mental ejaculation from someone at EOPS. Someone "iwshing" it to be
that way doens't make it so. No different than the AG "wishing" that a rifle compliant with the as written MA AWB is an "assault weapon" by her "wish".

Because if the licenses were invalid, they'd actually be expiring them in the computer when they get the COA for a non MA address. That isn't happening and hasn't happened in
years. I am pretty sure if there was a legal basis for axing the LTCs, EOPS would be doing it. I've spoken to 3 people who moved out and ratted themselves out with a COA to EOPS/FRB and old issuing town. their LTCs all still passed validation on the portal months after moving out and notifying. I wouldn't be shocked if that has bsaically been the trend for a
decade, it's just that we don't get a lot of data because most people when they move out flip a nutty and throw their LTC into a shredder somewhere. [laugh]

Rating - 100%
6   0   0

There was a case where the ADA argued that the expired license protection was not applicable because the person held the FID or LTC (forget which) 15+ years ago, and the state argued the law was never intended to offer long term protection. The court held otherwise, and ruled the protection from the criminal statute still applied.

As to a "DA prosecuting" ... if the license were found to have been algorithmically "expired" by the state the offense would be the civil one of carry on an expired license, not carry without a license. Note that the expired license protection explicitly excludes "expired for failure to file a change of address" from those things that negate the exception (the others are becoming PP, or having a renewal of the expired license denied).

Someone "iwshing" it to be that way doens't make it so
Nor does declaring to be so on NES offering no cites, only assertions.

Len-2A Training

Instructor
Instructor
NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 98.6%
71   1   0
Having testified in a felony case, the DA definitely criminally charged on an old expired FID. They can and some will in spite of the clearly written law.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Having testified in a felony case, the DA definitely criminally charged on an old expired FID. They can and some will in spite of the clearly written law.
Maybe it was the case I am thinking of.

Did the court rule that the expired FID triggered the "expired license" exception?

Len-2A Training

Instructor
Instructor
NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 98.6%
71   1   0
Maybe it was the case I am thinking of.

Did the court rule that the expired FID triggered the "expired license" exception?
I was the expert witness and provided written proof of that which the judge (bench trial) accepted and tossed the charge out at trial.

Top Bottom