Moved out of MA, how do I properly record that my firearms are out of the state?

If you have anything desirable that is not on "the list" and easily replaceable in your new state, you might want to consider selling them FTF, to let them stay in MA, before you move.

Keep it forever. It is proof-positive that he's exempt from criminal conviction if ever caught with a gun or ammo in MA and no valid LTC!! It converts to a civil fine ONLY if one has an expired LTC/FID and was never denied/revoked.
learned something today

But to sell don't you have to return it to the 10# trigger, Correct? (Or do FFL's just assume it is 10#? A lot of NH shops advertise to rework trigger pull. The latter, only with an extra special permission slip and not new gun models unless it accepts pre194 mags. Now, if you can find a 30 round pre 1994 P30 mag for a VP9 that would be a find and a half.

Not for a private sale (Not sure on a FFL sale of a used gun). Just like the roster of approved firearms that constrains a dealer, but has no bearing on a FTF sale.

But to sell don't you have to return it to the 10# trigger, Correct? (Or do FFL's just assume it is 10#? A lot of NH shops advertise to rework trigger pull. The latter, only with an extra special permission slip and not new gun models unless it accepts pre194 mags. Now, if you can find a 30 round pre 1994 P30 mag for a VP9 that would be a find and a half.

Absolutely not! I am unaware of any dealer that measures trigger pull on guns they buy or take in on consignment. Also it isn't the owner's problem what is done (or not) after he turns it over to an FFL. [wink]

Absolutely not! I am unaware of any dealer that measures trigger pull on guns they buy or take in on consignment. Also it isn't the owner's problem what is done (or not) after he turns it over to an FFL. [wink]
So the 10# trigger rule is simply another annoyance that indict m inflicts unnecessary cost on MA fun owners. Typical.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Keep it forever. It is proof-positive that he's exempt from criminal conviction if ever caught with a gun or ammo in MA and no valid LTC!! It converts to a civil fine ONLY if one has an expired LTC/FID and was never denied/revoked.

That is the most brilliant thing I have heard in a long time.

So in the interest of having it not ever be revoked for failing to notify of a move, should you notify the issuing authority that you have moved. The law says you do. Just in this case, you are moving out of state?

So in this same vein, if no need to record that the guns are out of state, could you then move back w/ same guns? More specifically, if one owns an AR registered pre-Healey, moves to NH (or some other free state) and winds up moving back later, can they bring that AR with them back to MA and be good to go?

So in this same vein, if no need to record that the guns are out of state, could you then move back w/ same guns? More specifically, if one owns an AR registered pre-Healey, moves to NH (or some other free state) and winds up moving back later, can they bring that AR with them back to MA and be good to go?

Yes.

We're all felons according to her anyway. [smile]

However, you realize that a mental health evaluation is required if you ever voluntarily return to MA!! [wink]

Some people like to improve trigger pull even when guns come from the factory with better triggers- especially people who like to participate in certain target shooting sports (e.g. Taking a Glock trigger down from 5.5 lbs to 3.5 lbs).

In NH, and most states, the average person can buy mags of any capacity made whenever, without any sort of license. That said, once you own post-13 Sep 1994 hi-cap magazines, you do need to be extra careful about not bringing them into the Commonwealth even if you get an NR LTC.

This is making my head hurt.

[banghead]

Seemed like a fair question given the uncertainty surrounding the law. Thankfully Len managed to answer without the self-inflicted head ache

Last edited:
Will this affect my ability to get a non-res license? I still want to be able to come down to shoot matches. I'm fully aware of how much Healy sucks, she's a major reason why I left.

If you want a non-res license than you need to do the notifications to your local PD and CHSB (Criminal History and Safety Board or something).

I'm finally getting out of MA and moving to NH in July as long as closing goes well. Some great info in this thread, thank you all.

I'll still be working in MA so to clarify on my LTC here. I understand I need to inform the FRB and local PD about the move but what's the process for getting my out of state LTC at that point? Do I apply with my current local PD for that?

I'm finally getting out of MA and moving to NH in July as long as closing goes well. Some great info in this thread, thank you all.

I'll still be working in MA so to clarify on my LTC here. I understand I need to inform the FRB and local PD about the move but what's the process for getting my out of state LTC at that point? Do I apply with my current local PD for that?

No, you apply with FRB in Chelsea. You can find the form and info on the FRB website.

But hold onto the actual resident license per Len's advice on an earlier page:

Originally Posted by Len-2A Training View Post

So notify the PD of the move, but hold onto the old license until you receive your non-res.

Don

I was going to suggest a certified, return receipt requested letter with the serial numbers of the firearms you have "registered". But I think Mr. Brownstone has the better suggestion.

The proper way to notify MA is to take a Sh1t in a box and mail it to 1 Ashburton Place in Boston to the Attention of Maura Healy.

Should be all set after that.

Back
Top Bottom