Moved out of MA, how do I properly record that my firearms are out of the state?

schnips

NES Member
Like the title says, I recently moved out of MA and want to properly notify the right people that my guns went with me. I checked the EFA-10 form and didn't see an option for moving out of state. My LTC is set to expire soon (I know it's no longer valid, but I figured I should do this before the exp. date anyway).

I'm pretty sure you don't. AFAIK there is no means of recording transfer to an out of state person (dealer sale) or having moved and left with your collection intact.

--Edit - Let me google a bit.

Just go....and dont look back. Seriously, what your asking for does not exist. Now go enjoy freedom.

Yes, you need to send the letters as he indicated in his post #4. Unless you can guarantee you will never return to Mass and want a permit again. I moved out in 2015 and sent the letters even though I "know" I will never return to live in Mass again!

Yes you have to notify the CHSB,and your local PD that your moving.That is only if you ever think of coming back to MA and applying for an LTC again.You don't have to do anything with your guns,but take them with you.

Yes you have to notify the CHSB,and your local PD that your moving.That is only if you ever think of coming back to MA and applying for an LTC again.You don't have to do anything with your guns,but take them with you.

Maybe I'm an idiot, but what does CHSB stand for? Also is there an official form letter for this or something, because I'm not even sure what I would say.

Like the title says, I recently moved out of MA and want to properly notify the right people that my guns went with me. I checked the EFA-10 form and didn't see an option for moving out of state. My LTC is set to expire soon (I know it's no longer valid, but I figured I should do this before the exp. date anyway).
Enjoy the freedom. Keep the LTC as a reminder to NEVER come back.

Will this affect my ability to get a non-res license? I still want to be able to come down to shoot matches. I'm fully aware of how much Healy sucks, she's a major reason why I left.

Maybe I'm an idiot, but what does CHSB stand for? Also is there an official form letter for this or something, because I'm not even sure what I would say.

Criminal History Systems Board (CHSB). You don't need to say anything. Just fill out the attached form and mail one copy to the FRB (Firearms Record Bureau) and one copy to the police department that issued the license. Add your "move to" NH address in the space on the form so that they know you moved out of state.

http://goal.org/Documents/frb_change_address.pdf

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure you don't. AFAIK there is no means of recording transfer to an out of state person (dealer sale) or having moved and left with your collection intact.

You are correct. Individual firearms registration is never taken out of your name in this case, but MA won't come looking for you if you and your guns are in Free America, so don't worry be happy! [laugh]

I saw this thread and was confused by LenS' first post (#4) so I figured I'd ask. It made me think that a couple letters had to be sent out to certain parties.

https://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/17076-LTC-and-moving-out-of-state

Lens' reply only applies to your license... The registrations on the guns will be on you forever, including if you sell them after you leave this hell hole.

I updated that Post #4 to be more current and correct.

NO forms are required, just basic info on the LTC . . . your name, LTC #, what your MA address is/was and what your new address (Free America) is, sign it and Mail it Certified Mail (as required by MGL) to chief where LTC was issued and FRB.

CHSB was renamed FRB a number of years ago. Address is on every FA-10 form you have.

they'll find out when they come knockin' and you ain't there any more. questions, questions, questions coming from the minds of todays concerned youth, [grin]

...or, he can use the attached form in post #15 to make it easier to accomplish the same thing. [grin]

The problem with the form is that it IMPLIES (with no legal justification) that you MUST send copies of your LTC and info that is not required by law. You control what you put in a letter but more people use that form and PDs start to believe that all that info is REQUIRED by law (already some PDs do that)!

The problem with the form is that it IMPLIES (with no legal justification) that you MUST send copies of your LTC and info that is not required by law. You control what you put in a letter but more people use that form and PDs start to believe that all that info is REQUIRED by law (already some PDs do that)!
Just like all the other shit ! letters and justify a reason BS etc..

The OP said that he didn't know what to say in his letter, so I just thought using the form would make it easier for him to just fill in the blanks, rather than trying to type or write something out. He also indicated that he was going to apply for a NR license, so using the form just shows that he's willing to play their game, whether is warranted or not. No harm, no foul.

You can lighten the triggers after you buy. And you can use standard capacity mags that were manufactured pre 94.

sent from my chimney using smoke signals

In free 'Murica you can use any capacity magazine manufactured at any time. Even made yesterday if you want. No more crazy priced "pre-ban" magazines.

You can lighten the triggers after you buy. And you can use standard capacity mags that were manufactured pre 94.

sent from my chimney using smoke signals
But to sell don't you have to return it to the 10# trigger, Correct? (Or do FFL's just assume it is 10#? A lot of NH shops advertise to rework trigger pull. The latter, only with an extra special permission slip and not new gun models unless it accepts pre194 mags. Now, if you can find a 30 round pre 1994 P30 mag for a VP9 that would be a find and a half.

If you are moving out of MA to another state what do you do with your actual LTC? Turn it in to the issuing PD? My son is moving out of state and I want to make sure he does the right thing.

When I moved out I just sent the copies to the frb and issuing chief. When I applied for my nr ltc I got it with no restrictions. Don't worry so much and make a biggerbthing out of it than it is

In free 'Murica you can use any capacity magazine manufactured at any time. Even made yesterday if you want. No more crazy priced "pre-ban" magazines.
Yup. I live where the standard magazine is not illegal and the only trigger pull at or greater than 10# is a pistol with DA/SA. My wife can't pull the trigger on my FNX45 without the hammer cocked. Arthritis is a strength sapper.

If you are moving out of MA to another state what do you do with your actual LTC? Turn it in to the issuing PD? My son is moving out of state and I want to make sure he does the right thing.

Keep it forever. It is proof-positive that he's exempt from criminal conviction if ever caught with a gun or ammo in MA and no valid LTC!! It converts to a civil fine ONLY if one has an expired LTC/FID and was never denied/revoked.

Back
Top Bottom