• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Moved from a "Sport Restriction" city to a "No Restrictions" City....can I just re-apply?

Hey guys, I just moved from Medford to Stoneham, effectively migrating from a "red" city to a "green" city from the sticky. How can I get my license upgraded? Do I simply re-apply?

Ahh, damn. Thanks for the link. I'll submit my COA paperwork and give Medford a call to see if they will expire it early. I don't expect them to be particularly helpful in that matter but in any event it expires in 2019 so worst case is I wait a year.

Ahh, damn. Thanks for the link. I'll submit my COA paperwork and give Medford a call to see if they will expire it early. I don't expect them to be particularly helpful in that matter but in any event it expires in 2019 so worst case is I wait a year.

You can apply in the new town, and worst case the issue date will be the expire date of the old license. My old town refused to expire early, so I waited about 3 years for the new license to be valid YMMV.

Go to your new PD and ask if they will remove restrictions . The worst they can do is say no. They might actually say yes and then call you in a couple weeks to pick up your reprinted, unrestricted license.

Go to your new PD and ask if they will remove restrictions . The worst they can do is say no. They might actually say yes and then call you in a couple weeks to pick up your reprinted, unrestricted license.
The new PD can't remove restrictions from a license that's not theirs.

I think there is a way to "expire" you LTC. Then you can reapply in new town? Len needs to chime in.

I think there is a way to "expire" you LTC. Then you can reapply in new town? Len needs to chime in.

They can, if they want, expire the old LTC early to allow the new one to be issued. When I told the guy at the FRB what happened (New license had issue date of old license end date) he said it's common that the licensing officers don't know how to do the early expire and he would call and walk him through it. Got a call a bit later telling me that the LO told him to piss up a rope and that he was not going to let it go. They can do it, but some are dicks about it.

They can, if they want, expire the old LTC early to allow the new one to be issued. When I told the guy at the FRB what happened (New license had issue date of old license end date) he said it's common that the licensing officers don't know how to do the early expire and he would call and walk him through it. Got a call a bit later telling me that the LO told him to piss up a rope and that he was not going to let it go. They can do it, but some are dicks about it.
This is correct and sadly what oftentimes happens when you are dealing with a jack-hole.

Ah, life behind the iron curtain that is the Mass border...

Just when I thought I knew - after several years on this board - how frigged up the unconstitutional MA licensing processing was, a new wrinkle.

The new PD can't remove restrictions from a license that's not theirs.

Unless the change of address letters have all been received and the new address associated with the license has been updated in the MIRCS database. I don't know what laws pertain to this specific situation, but I have heard of it happening. I'm guessing that like many things in MA regarding LTCS, it all boils down to the levels of douchebaggery any individual PD in the whole affair wishes to go to.

It has been said before but is simple:

1. The LTC, including restrictions is under control of the issuing PD.
2. There are only a few ways to remove the restrictions:

a. Get a court order (probably not gonna happen)
b. Convince the issuing PD to remove the restrictions
c. Convince the issuing PD to expire the LTC early so you can get an unrestricted one from the PD in your town
d. Wait for your LTC to expire and apply in your local town

GOAL should propose and back a law allowing LTC holders to request, and get, an LTC expiration from the FRB upon request.

Back
Top Bottom