MOVE INTRODUCED TO REPEAL FEDERAL GUN-FREE SCHOOL ZONES ACT

mikeyp

NES Member
Move Introduced to Repeal Federal Gun-Free School Zones Act

A measure that would scrap the longstanding federal “gun-free zone” rules when passing within 1,000 feet of a school has been introduced in the U.S. House.

The Safe Students Act, first announced in 2007 by U.S. Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas, has been rebooted by Kentucky Republican Thomas Massie this week and re-introduced with seven co-sponsors. The move would repeal the 30-year-old “no guns allowed” zone around public, private, and parochial elementary and high schools nationwide. Backers argue the bill is needed to allow local governments and school boards to set their own firearms policy without Washington red tape.

“The only thing gun-free zones do is disarm law-abiding citizens and take away their ability to protect themselves and others,” said U.S. Rep. Jeff Duncan, R-SC, a co-sponsor. “We shouldn’t leave our most vulnerable – our children – in an unsafe environment like gun-free zones where acts of violence cannot be stopped.”

The Gun-Free School Zones Act, part of the Crime Control Act of 1990, was the brainchild of Wisconsin Democrat Herb Kohl and by then-U.S. Sen. Joe Biden. The act has long restricted gun possession within 1,000 feet of a school campus although it has been successfully challenged in the courts as unconstitutional, leading the law to be modified in 1996. Several attempts by Republican lawmakers to repeal its provisions wholesale over the years have failed.

President Trump, while campaigning for the White House in 2016, said he would support getting rid of gun free zones in schools and military bases.

The Safe Students Act has been introduced as H.R. 3200 and has been referred to the House Committee on the Judiciary.

Republicans only show up with their fake balls and bills when they are minority, so that they can say 'we tried but it didn't work.' They don't bring pro-gun bills when they are majority because the bills may actually pass. No, deep down they don't like armed peons any more than dems do.

Republicans only show up with their fake balls and bills when they are minority, so that they can say 'we tried but it didn't work.' They don't bring pro-gun bills when they are majority because the bills may actually pass. No, deep down they don't like armed peons any more than dems do.
QFTT-quoted for the truth!

This has about much chance of passing as does Pelosi declaring and observing Trumps birthday as a national holiday

You would simply need the sheep to be more scared of mass shooters than they are of law abiding gun owners accidentally shooting someone. We’re not there yet, and I hate to think of how many more kids need to die to convince the sheep.

They’re big government statists first. Not sure what they are second.

Man I am seriously on to the republicans now. What magnificent lip service they offer. They had control of the house and senate and presidency and did nothing. Now that they are out of power in the house they are loaded with good ideas that they know have a snowballs chance in hell of passing. It's kind of like that tingle of hope when I see a MA republican legislator propose constitutional carry and yet despair that all I can do is daydream.

Why would they get rid of it? ... we all know no one ever brings a gun to school, it is a gun free zone.

But at 1001 feet, it looks like a Middle Eastern wedding.

Man I am seriously on to the republicans now. What magnificent lip service they offer. They had control of the house and senate and presidency and did nothing. Now that they are out of power in the house they are loaded with good ideas that they know have a snowballs chance in hell of passing. It's kind of like that tingle of hope when I see a MA republican legislator propose constitutional carry and yet despair that all I can do is daydream.

The sad part is, in their minds the unwashed dullard masses will forget all about that and line up like lemmings to vote for them again.

This. If anyone needs any evidence of this, Bush Jr. had a R house/senate at one point and over the entire 8 yrs of his tenure, we got one stupid f***ing bill out of it, and the only reason PLCAA got passed is because the gun mafia/protectionism types probably have far better lobbyists than the NRA does.

-Mike

There are three chances of this passing...fat, slim and none.
True. The powers that be aren't interested in saving lives they're interested in wresting as much power from the people as possible and a high body count helps them to achieve that goal.

Back
Top Bottom