• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Move from MA to Colorado? Is it still a free state?

yeah, I don't get that though, with all that snow there should be decent runoff.

We probably won't look at moving to CO unless one of us gets laid off, or until the kids are out of daycare (we love our daycare).

There have been years where they haven't gotten that much snow and the runoff doesn't necessarily go where you need it or is easy to get to. MA (and New England in general) has lots of fresh water in rivers, ponds and lakes and that makes it easy to get to. It also keeps the air humid and the soil retains the moisture.

Colorado, at least in the area between and around Denver/Boulder doesn't have any rivers or lakes to speak of and the soil doesn't seem to retain much moisture. If it's not officially a high desert, it's close.

- - - Updated - - -

Lack of water is a big problem in much of the west.

I was thinking more of the humidity levels which is probably partly related to elevation, but yeah, lack of water is lack of water.

I'll add that of all the people I met while living out there, few were from there originally. Colorado is probably the fastest growing state in population. In our neighborhood in Broomfield for example of the 15 homes on my block, 1 were natives the others were transplants (2 plus us from Mass, 4 from California, some from Utah, Kansas, Wyoming, florida, texas) All moved to Colorado for either work or freedom....and then voted to make it like it was in their home state.

Oh, illegals are everywhere (at least I think they are illegal) and the governor encourages their moving there.

The quality of homes/construction is nothing like we have here. Cheap, transient labor. We had a pretty good hail storm one year and every roof had 30-40 mexicans on it. They would bang out 2 roofs a day and from the street you could see the waves in the shingles.

We lived in a desirable neighborhood, built by a desirable builder in the mid 2000's. There wasn't one wall that was square or straight and all the walls and ceilings are textured plaster that looks like shit.

Dry has been mentioned a few times. It's very dry. I had headaches for 6 months because I wasn't drinking enough water. Now that said, any day from April to October expect a HEAVY/ FLOODING rain along the front range. It lasts about 30-45 minutes and is as bad as the worst rain storm you've been in, and they pop up from nowhere

No, it's not Free America any more. We left there a year ago, never thought I would. In addition to the punitive/stupid new gun laws, it is a sanctuary state for illegals, they can now get driver's licenses, and they vote. Many times. It's become crowded, and controlled by dems. The Republican party in Colorado is laughable. The fires in 2012 came way too close to our home, that on top of the increased Californication, drove us out. Check out ar-15.co for more info on the new laws.

We lived in a desirable neighborhood, built by a desirable builder in the mid 2000's. There wasn't one wall that was square or straight and all the walls and ceilings are textured plaster that looks like shit..............

My brother lives there and he loves that crappy knock down texture. I say it's done that way because they can't finish drywall.

Bumping this cause I applied to a job in Colorado that's a perfect fit, so they might actually call me. :)

If I end up moving there, I'll be having a green-only fire sale.

Bumping this cause I applied to a job in Colorado that's a perfect fit, so they might actually call me. :)

If I end up moving there, I'll be having a green-only fire sale.
Best of luck to you. Have thought about moving out there myself but would honestly prefer the Carolinas or AZ.

Btw - it is snowing in Denver as I write this.

Best of luck to you. Have thought about moving out there myself but would honestly prefer the Carolinas or AZ.

Btw - it is snowing in Denver as I write this.

our jobs limit us to Utah, Colorado and Portland, OR probably. We'd prefer Portland but Colorado is the easiest for me to get a job.

Best of luck to you. Have thought about moving out there myself but would honestly prefer the Carolinas or AZ. Btw - it is snowing in Denver as I write this.

It usually doesn't snow that much in Denver per se, and it melts quickly. We get a lot more snow cover in the winter than Denver. The mountains, of course, are a different story.

Was out in Colorado last year visiting my son. I saw a guy open carrying at the garden of the gods in Colorado Springs, people everywhere no one seemed to care

My brother lives there and he loves that crappy knock down texture. I say it's done that way because they can't finish drywall.

I concur that Yankee drywall skills are a cut above. House was new when we moved here from TN. Decent size, high ceilings, foyer open to 2nd floor. The drywall finishing is immaculate and could not have been easy.

Kinda sad to hear the neg feedback regarding Colorado. Used to be a cool place.

It usually doesn't snow that much in Denver per se, and it melts quickly. We get a lot more snow cover in the winter than Denver. The mountains, of course, are a different story.

True. Looks like their average high temps are about 10 degrees higher than Boston. But they do get snow in May every year. Strange. I remember seeing them in the 70's in February and now a blizzard in mid-April. I would imagine it does melt fast as you say. It will probably be in the 70's next week there.

Hell, I would move out there for a good paying job. I would LOVE to cast a vote to get Dick'n'Licker out of office...

True. Looks like their average high temps are about 10 degrees higher than Boston. But they do get snow in May every year. Strange. I remember seeing them in the 70's in February and now a blizzard in mid-April. I would imagine it does melt fast as you say. It will probably be in the 70's next week there.

Hell, I would move out there for a good paying job. I would LOVE to cast a vote to get Dick'n'Licker out of office...

In the 3 years we lived there I shoveled the driveway a handful of times. Most times it snows you drive out of a snowy driveway in the morning and return home to bare pavement for the afternoon commute. but if you like snow, an hour (or 2 or 3 depending on where you live in state) there's snow available through July

I loved the weather there, 300 days of sunshine. You could have a 40 degree day on Tuesday and Wednesday would be 80. I even got to like the summer afternoon thunderstorms. Sunny and perfect at 3:00, pitch black at 3:15 hail and HEAVY rain at 3:20, sunny and not a cloud in the sky by 4:00

Back
Top Bottom