Mounting a Flashlight On a Gun...Is It a Bad Idea?

The article you linked presents a single argument against mounting a light on a gun - you don't want to point your loaded gun at everything you want to illuminate with the flashlight.

That's not a reason not to mount a flashlight on gun. It's a reason to have a flashlight that's not mounted on a gun. There's a big difference.

If you are using the flashlight to search around, probably. The way I think of it though is this. If I'm walking around the house, gun drawn, lights off, its because I am pretty damn sure someone who doesn't belong in my house in there. If that's the case, I've probably got a phone in the other hand. I don't want to sacrifice the phone for the light. Also, I'm pretty crappy shooting with a flashlight in one hand. I continue to practice but I'm still better with two hands on the gun.

Additionally, remember that you don't necessarily need to point a flashlight directly at what you want to illuminate. You could still walk a room, muzzle down, and the light would brighten things enough to identify a figure. Like anything else, you need to train with the equipment to be good with it. Personally, I see a lot of potential failures with the separate flashlight. Its just a question of which you want to accept.

Personally, I'd rather take the risk with the flashlight attached and rely on good trigger discipline than search for TWO objects in the dark and operate TWO devices with BOTH hands seconds after I've been woken from deep sleep.

I've never gotten the argument of a flash light mounted on a gun makes you a direct target. These same arguers will use a separate flashlight. The advantage of proper firearm form without worrying about carrying a flashlight far outweighs the target argument. And besides, you're still carrying a flashlight, which still renders you a target.

I am a light fan, the only thing that I ever questioned as far as a weapon light is it gives the bad guy something to shoot at...but I can't really shoot with a flash light in one hand at all I have tried so I just go with the light

This came up during my Concealed Carry I course (With instructor Mac) at Mass Firearms School.

He told us that he teaches police to aim the muzzle down while the illumination from the light can still throw light on the rest of the area. His point was you don't need to aim a light directly at something to see it.

I was against the gun mounted light until he pointed this out. Still not sure if its the right choice for me yet.

This came up during my Concealed Carry I course (With instructor Mac) at Mass Firearms School.

He told us that he teaches police to aim the muzzle down while the illumination from the light can still throw light on the rest of the area. His point was you don't need to aim a light directly at something to see it.

I was against the gun mounted light until he pointed this out. Still not sure if its the right choice for me yet.

This. Its a personal preference and you can use either method in incredibly effective or incredibly stupid manners. As JWPaolilliJr mentioned, its about training.

I won't let my department put lights on pistols ever. It's not that I don't think it has positive aspects, but I know that we'll never get enough range time and scenario time to make sure that people develop good safe tactics with them. As far as a personal pistol? Whatever you decide to put on your gun, or wear for gear, method by which you carry, or any other EDC tools.... TRAIN with it.

I have one on my bedroom gun, but that is for a pretty specific use. If I hear a disturbance in the middle of the night, I am OK with pointing a gun at it. I also keep a separate flashlight on top of my bedroom safe.

I wouldn't put a light on my CCW.

I won't mount one because I don't want to tell the bad guys where to shoot. With my luck I might blind the bad guy I can see while popping him and light myself up for his partner. Just my 2 cents.

A flashlight on a weapon when used properly ,you will not be muzzling anybody any more than if you used a handheld techniqique. The weapon and mounted light only come into play when you are justified in thier use. It is taught almost exclusively that you use a handheld light for initial searching navigating etc,its only after you have identifed a threat that you transition from the handheld and go to the psitol and weapon mounted light. A exception to this would be if you immediately knew you were dealing with a deadly threat then you could go right to the pistol and light. Additionally its taught to use the reflection of the light to illuminate your target so you dont have to muzzle them. The problem with weapon mounted lights is people just mount them without ever recieving any training in thier use. With training a weaponlight is agreat tool that increaes a persons ability to hit thier target and also helps to ensure the right target is being engaged. A hand held light is a must when working at night regardless if your pistol has a light or not. A weapon mounted light must be considered part of the pistol and not just a flashlight. Another concern is that the light will make you a target. The proper use is to illuminate the threat, fire if needed,shut the light out and move to another location. Proper training teaches varies techniques to avoid or minimize the chance of illuminating oneslef.

Last edited:
Flashlight on a firearm means you are muzzling everything or everyone you are looking at, not a good idea. There are methods of using both hands with flashlight and gun coming together, thus controling the flashlight and both hands supporting the pistol.
I used to train people to do it, using 3 cell Maglights. Yes it can be done, if you train.

No more so than you are in a 2-hand hold like Harries:

fightlight02.jpg

or Chapman:

fightlight04.jpg

or Rogers:

fightlight03.jpg

In each of the most commonly-taught two-handed techniques, the flashlight is married to the gun. Any time the two are together, either by mounting it or by holding it next to the gun, the flashlight follows the muzzle. But as was said, any "low ready" position illuminates the area in front without the muzzle covering the target.

Flashlight on a firearm means you are muzzling everything or everyone you are looking at, .
BS! Utter. Complete. Total. BS.

Modern lights put out enough lumens that there is no need to muzzle anything if you don't want to.

Turn off all the lights in your house on a moonless night and walk around with the light pointed down at they ground, give it a little angle in front of you just as you would in a low ready position, or whatever the high speed low drag kids call it, you know what I am talking about. You will find it provides more than enough light to see what you need to see without "muzzling" anything but the ground.

Last edited:
If you are on a "seek-and-destroy" mission, then a flashlight on your gun may make more sense than for the more "casual" (not the best word I know) usage.

If you are on a "seek and identify" mission then a separate light may be a better idea. And I will admit to learning something new from the people who discussed the muzzle-down position.

One other thing to remember. If you are using a flashlight you may be advertising your presence and location to a hidden intruder.

The other day I muzzle swept my dog and, to my great surprise, he didn't immediately turn into a steaming pile of burnt flesh and fur.

Christ.

http://www.usacarry.com/6-flashlight-shooting-techniques-you-must-know/

So a co-worker sent me this link when I told him I have a light mounted on my Glock. Just wondering what other people think on whether its a good idea or not.

No, its not a bad idea. Just remember to remove the light before the cops get there. Those lights would make the gun look extra evil in court. (assuming you live in MA)

- - - Updated - - -

I thought the title said "fleshlight" when I first read it.[rofl]

so thats the only reason you clicked on the thread?

If you are on a "seek-and-destroy" mission, then a flashlight on your gun may make more sense than for the more "casual" (not the best word I know) usage.

If you are on a "seek and identify" mission then a separate light may be a better idea. And I will admit to learning something new from the people who discussed the muzzle-down position.

One other thing to remember. If you are using a flashlight you may be advertising your presence and location to a hidden intruder.

They're still recovering from the flash-bangs I throw ahead of me as I move room-to-room, so I'm not worried about them seeing the light.

Back
Top Bottom