1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Mountain Hiking 2016

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by tk421991, May 2, 2016.

1. C. Stockwell

C. Stockwell NES Member

You got most of it covered, just bring headwear to protect from the sun and carry a change of warm clothes for above the treeline. I did Boot Spur (sp?) last year.

2. Broccoli Iglesias

Broccoli Iglesias NES Member

Tarps are key. I used one to build a kick a** shelter on a mountain in Argentina. After hiking for 6 hours in rain and cold weather, we needed to stop and make some coffee / food. The Shelter was key and it only took 10 min to set up.

Take an extra t-shirt. It doesnt sound like much but when you are all wet and stop, a dry t-shirt feels great and you go from being cold to being alright.

No matter how good your rain gear is, you will get wet. If the rain doesnt get through, the sweat will get you all wet. You just cant win against rain.

3. Beretta92FS

Beretta92FS NES Member

Wow, that's truly a serious undertaking! Well done, and I bet your feet would like to murder you just about now.

No hiking for me recently, but I could of course not stay away from mountains. Visited (by car) Mount Pangaion (6417 ft) in northern Greece. No decent established hiking trails unfortunately, unless you use the auto road.

[​IMG]

SKumar likes this.
  4. Dan-o

Dan-o NES Member

Guess we think alike, have water filter, tarp, map, comms, rain gear, and few other things.
    Supposed to be a nice weekend, should be fun.
    Thx

SteelShooter likes this.
  5. millbilly

millbilly NES Member

Personally I would go a lot lighter than what the above posters are saying. I'd skip the tarp, rain fly, change of clothes, certainly any type of water purifier or filter (there is water at the top, and I believe Lake of Clouds if you really needed it). I would bring a small pack with: wind pants, wind breaker, maybe a synthetic long t, cell phone, 2 nalgene water bottles, I carry a small compass, and a 2 granola bars). Id start with trail runners, a tshirts and shorts with sunblock allready on and well hydrated. I like to be somewhat uncomfortably chilly when I start or else you will be stopping to de layer in 5 minutes.
    This is a day hike in a popular area. Everything is based on forecast and likelyhood of seeing other ppl if I actually got hurt..

6. SteelShooter

SteelShooter NES Member

Sorry, I'm always prepared to stay out overnight, the extra weight is nothing, but you'll wish you had it at some point. Kinda like carrying a gun. 99% of the time you'll never need it, but when you do, you really do.

7. millbilly

millbilly NES Member

Yeh.. I think that's the older AMC mindset. I'd prefer to carry less wait and travel further, or just the same objective quicker and more enjoyably for day hikes in populated areas. Again this decision is made on weather, and remoteness of trail and comes with experience. If this is a weekend day with nice forecast I might even do this with a hydration vest and just a long t and granola bar stuffed in the back pocket. If i were hiking somewhere far and not expected to see anyone for over a day then that would change my thinking. Unless i am purposely trying to hike with a heavy pack for training purposes.

8. SteelShooter

SteelShooter NES Member

Well, that explains it then, I'm old! lol. Every climb there's a chance I might not make it down! :)

millbilly likes this.
  9. SKumar

SKumar NES Member

BULL
    I see older couples up there all the time and they KICK ASS. Theyve been hiking/backpacking their wholes lives so they're in shape and maintain the weight. Outdoors keeps you young ;)

millbilly likes this.
  10. Salyeica

Salyeica NES Member

04AA3DC6-CE7E-41E0-9A64-4920501C31EC.jpeg AE697DF5-6A42-4229-A3AC-9413133AF687.jpeg 53AFC88A-CEE5-4306-89A6-2CDDF76E62D0.jpeg 9EB758D3-63C7-4337-ABF5-27B67F1435F5.jpeg

Couple recent ski resort hikes for me out here in America. First one was Snowbasin. Needles trail to lodge 15.1 miles round trip. Yesterday was Jackson Hole. Wildflower trail to gondola summit and back, 9.5 miles round trip.

Top two photos are from Jackson, bottom two are from Snowbasin.

11. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

Jeez, maybe you can run into THIS guy on the trails? Flume gorge. I think i took my kids on that trail when they were toddlers....

12. SKumar

SKumar NES Member

Finally did it! Cannon Mountain marked my final NH48 summit. What a crazy journey. Been through heaven and hell!

I made this trip open to beginners since I wanted to introduce newbies to White Mountain hiking. A couple people struggled, but everyone made it to the top and had a great time. Great group and a lot of people congratulating me and asking questions.

Clear day with fantastic views. Franconia Ridge was riddled with rain clouds (my buddy turned back on Washington because of the hail/winds).

The group was not ready for a steep climb LOL
    [​IMG]
    And there it is! Route 93!
    [​IMG]

Just ridiculous views
    [​IMG]

My buddy Jim KNIGHTING me (this dude finished the whole Appalachian Trail, and half of the Long Trail). What an honor! Now I can wear the hat!
    [​IMG]

Awesome people
    [​IMG]

Caught a giant rainbow on the way home!
    [​IMG]

All in all, that was a wild ride. Definitely going to keep hiking in NH. Now I get to join @Beretta92FS in the hall of fame! Looking forward to supporting others tackle the 48 as well.
    [party][cheers][party][cheers][party][cheers]

Stryker and Beretta92FS like this.
  13. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

a day hike i do not bring a tarp or tent, but DO always bring at least a rain jacket, or better a poncho. A poncho is kind of like a tarp, and if you look around at the trees, you can usually find one where the ground is dry right around the trunk, even though it has been raining a lot....so you could overnight that way.

But i agree, a tarp gives you a place to stretch out, cook, etc without getting soaking wet. Ideally a tarp AND a tent, as sometimes tents get pretty damn wet/humid if the rain fly is drenched.

back in the day, we actually would dig a shallow trench around the tent for the rain to run off....not sure if that is frowned on today....being green and all

in my experience, how much rain gear you bring along is directly proportional to how many nights you had to spend shivering in the rain without gear!

And how much warm clothing you bring along is directly proportional to how many times you came close to dying from hypothermia above tree line.

193rdsoldier likes this.
  14. Beretta92FS

Beretta92FS NES Member

Awesome, well done my friend, congratulations!!! And great pictures as always! What do you plan next - other lists or just hike what you want?

Hope to see you at the AMC 4000 footers awards ceremony in April 2020. Keep hiking!

SKumar likes this.
  15. Broccoli Iglesias

Broccoli Iglesias NES Member

I agree on the day hike. But I can tell you the "dry spot around the tree" is not a good idea. That spot will be wet soon enough or you will have one area with heavy drops. You will wake up soaked the following morning if it is raining.

For overnight trips, a tarp weighs nothing and it is a great shelter.

That's just my experience from hiking through a damn rain forest and finding several of these dry places around a tree trunk. [laugh]

Also, if you are with a friend, the tarp will do a better job covering your backpack while walking than any backpack cover out on the market. Just tie it around the pack (super ghetto looking), and you are good to go. I even do that with my Zpack, that is supposed to be water proof.

16. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

That is why i said Poncho. Get an XXlarge one, and it will cover almost any backpack

17. SKumar

SKumar NES Member

Killer day yesterday! Hiked Mt Carrigan for the second time to celebrate TWO people completing their NH48!!

A little background, the first time I did Carrigan was last fall and it was raining for the past 4 days. The river crossing near the beginning was not stone stepping...it was 3ft high and white water!! We started with 10 people, half the group turned back, the rest of us took out shoes off, socks off, PANTS off, and walked across the freezing river using poles to stablize us. On top of the non-stop climb, it was raining slush, and there was 3ft of snow at the top! AND my thighs were cramping due to the cold tightening my muscles. AAANNND there was no view at the top because everything was fogged. That hike completely sucked.

Fortunately, this time was 1000x better.

We had a huge group of 12 of mostly experienced hikers and some newbies. Super clear and sunny day. The challenging climb was actually enjoyable and gave a great workout.

The firetower was a frekkin party! There were at least 20 people on top from different groups. Some people I've met before. Most of us brought beers to enjoy at the top. Someone brought a small birthday cake and champagne for the two finalists! One girl got a mini dance party going in the corner using her phone.

Views were easily the among the best in the White mountains. Tons of people on this trail. This is why repeating hikes in the NH48 is worth it.

[​IMG]
    This river was thigh high last time
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Looking forward to more Vermont backpacking in the next few weeks.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    Beretta92FS likes this.
  18. Beretta92FS

Beretta92FS NES Member

This book here:

[​IMG]

has an interesting list of 33 alpine areas (not mountains):

[​IMG]

The alpine areas are probably my favorite hiking areas, I love the high exposed ridges and peaks. The 33 alpine areas above seems to translate into 37 peaks, and 22 of them are already on the 4000 footers list, leaving 15 unique for this list. I thought it be a fun new challenge to complete this unofficial "Alpine 33" list. Some of these seem to be somewhat difficult to get to, for example Davis which is beyond Isolation.

It so happens that there is a an alpine flower named Robbins' cinquefoil (Potentilla robbinsiana) that only exists on Mount Washington and nowhere else in the world. Info here: Uniquely NH: Alpine flower only found on summit of Mt. Washington

[​IMG]

I was thinking, if I can complete the "Alpine 33" I'd make my own patch depicting this special Mount Washington flower.

What do you think? Silly, or a new fun challenge?

19. SKumar

SKumar NES Member

I think that's a cool challenge. I've heard of ridiculous challenges like "hiking every NH48 each month" or something like that. Yours sounds legit.

How about some backpacking for you? Maybe a 2-3 day trip along the Long Trail? You can hit multiple 4kers including Ellen and Abraham.

I'd like to do the Maine 4kers just so I can look west and see the white mountain presidentials.

20. Beretta92FS

Beretta92FS NES Member

Saw this feller on the Kanc while driving in for a hike yesterday morning.

SKumar likes this.
  21. SKumar

SKumar NES Member

I love black bears. They're so dumb. They just wander around and go *sniff sniff* Food?? :D

22. SKumar

SKumar NES Member

Just got back from completing another 16 or so miles on the Long Trail. So now I've done ~45 miles of Long Trail, and certainly the most difficult parts of it. We started at Bolton Valley and went northbound to end at Smuggler's Notch. Awesome experience and makes me want to prepare for fall backpacking.

Morning sunrise from the Allis Park firetower (looking onto Lake Champlain)
    [​IMG]
    Wild blueberries were abundant on the trail
    [​IMG]
    Slept in front of a RIDICULOUS sunset at the famous Butler Lodge
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    You can see the city light in Burlington below
    [​IMG]
    Some pretty sketchy terrain climbing up Mansfield
    [​IMG]
    Me and my buddy at the top of Mt Mansfield (tallest peak in VT)
    [​IMG]

Beretta92FS likes this.
  23. Vermonster

Vermonster NES Member

I am guessing you did not taste those "wild blueberries"...
    I am quite sure those are not edible blueberries (although it's the right time of year). Instead, those are probably bluebead lilly (clintonia) berries. I don't think they are poisonous, but they taste nasty.

SKumar and millbilly like this.
  24. mark2215

mark2215 NES Member

I'll be backpacking to the Bonds at the end of the month. I know the Guyot shelter is being rebuilt right now so the tent platforms will be full. Does anyone have any inside information on backcountry camping spots in the area to hopefully get away from the crowd?

25. millbilly

millbilly NES Member

Same spots just hammock off to the side of a site Is what I've done.

26. SKumar

SKumar NES Member

That's exactly what I did. I was near the bottom area so I wasn't far from the utilities (cooking area, privy, etc.)

27. millbilly

millbilly NES Member

The privy is not level lol. Weird feeling especially when dark.

28. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

that is what all those piles of rocks above tree line are for. that is where us old duffers died, and we were too heavy to carry back down, so they just piled rocks on top of us.

:)

29. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

i agree. i have had plenty of wild blueberries in the wild, and they did not look like those. Blueberries in the wild are pretty tiny, about 1/3 or 1/2 of a store bought one, not big and plump. also there are more green leaves around where the berries are

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

we called them Huckleberries, back in the day

30. SKumar

SKumar NES Member

Did a last minute hike up Camel's Hump this weekend. My final 4ker in VT. Weather was gorgeous. Sunny and clear skies, unobstructed views, cool breeze.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So now I've hiked ~50 miles of the Long Trail :D

Beretta92FS likes this.