1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Mountain Hiking 2016

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by tk421991, May 2, 2016.

1. SKumar

SKumar NES Member

One correction: take the “short line trail” , not the airline trail.

2. millbilly

millbilly NES Member

mount-shuksan-01-large-08.14.11.jpg starting this on Sunday!

Grendizer138, Beretta92FS and SERE like this.
  3. Broccoli Iglesias

Broccoli Iglesias NES Member

That looks like fun. Where is that?

4. millbilly

millbilly NES Member

Mt Shuksan Washington. Fisher Chimney Rt.

Broccoli Iglesias likes this.
  5. Beretta92FS

Beretta92FS NES Member

Thank you!

6. SKumar

SKumar NES Member

Another 10/10 hike! Completed the entire Carter Range. Hit 4 summits: Middle Carter, South Carter, Mt. Hight, and Carter Dome.

We were totally blessed with no rain, as forecasts said some rain in early afternoon. Occasional dark clouds but mostly sunshine and clear skies.

We made this into a loop without car spotting. We parked at the nineteen mile brook trail, but walked down the road and took a shortcut into the IMP trail (start point) behind Camp Dodge. That way, when we come around we finish at NMB parking lot with the car there. This is the best route possible to the do the hike.

VERY tough hike. Shitloads of steep combing, then going down, then up again. The total elevation gain for this hike was around 4800ft. Middle and South were cairns at the top but had good views along the way. Mt Hight had an amazing view of Washington and Adams, but very windy up top. Carter Dome was a beast! A ledgepoint on the way down shows how massive it is. Loooong and physically taxing hike at 15 miles, and a ton of climbing. On the drive back, a ton of people were parked outside Mt Adams. That mountain was so high it looked like it was going into the clouds.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still snow left at the end of June
    [​IMG]

7. hminsky

hminsky NES Life Member NES Member

Wow that looks like great!

SKumar likes this.
  8. millbilly

millbilly NES Member

Just about to leave Seattle. Hike in today. Tomorrow will start climbing. Toughest part will be staying dry and climbing/rappelling in rain.

9. Broccoli Iglesias

It's only bad when you have to set up a tent and want to dry up a little. You know your shoes wont be dried the following morning and putting on cold wet shoes ahead of a long hike s*cks.

10. millbilly

millbilly NES Member

I'm wet. I've been wet. Made it up the chimneys today and I'm in a tent on top winnie slide. At the base of the glacier to the top. Tstorm forecast tomorrow afternoon so pulling the plug.

11. Beretta92FS

Beretta92FS NES Member

Spent the 4th of July with some presidents, Adams for #42 and Madison for #43.

Wow, what a tough hike! Only 10 miles, but with 4,900 feet elevation gain over difficult terrain, it was a truly a tough hike! Much harder than Isolation, Bondcliff and Owls Head. I'm beat up and will spend the next week out on a stretcher!

Great weather, but the pictures are a little hazy, sorry about that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. SKumar

SKumar NES Member

Wow great pics! I'm getting PTSD flashbacks just from looking at those. That is true mountain climbing. It's crazy seeing Jefferson and Washington in front of you like that. You did it on the perfect day in perfect weather. [cheers]

13. Broccoli Iglesias

14. SKumar

SKumar NES Member

Yesterday I finished the super exciting Owls Head hike. We hauled ASS, took zero breaks, and took the Black Pond bushwack shortcut both ways...and STILL it took us 9 hours. It wasn't impossible, just super long and boring. Slide was super steep. Gorgeous weather.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I HIKED 17 MILES FOR THIS SHIT????
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Beretta92FS likes this.
  15. Beretta92FS

Beretta92FS NES Member

Nice one & well done! It's a good one to get out of the way. I did it in November 2017; it was a misty morning and the slide was wet...no fun at all!

Which one are you planning to do next?

16. SKumar

SKumar NES Member

If the weather wasn't perfect, the Owls Head hike is just stupid. Super long and flat. You hike for 7 miles and you're still at base level. The slide was fun, but definitely for advanced hikers only. Then the summit is under the trees with zero view. My hip flexors were completely shot today. Won't do this again.

For next time I'm planning to do an overnighter, assuming the weather is good. Plan is to hit the Bonds, Mt Guyot, and Mt Zealand. This is in the Twin Mountain range (easily my fav). Really looking forward to this.

17. Beretta92FS

Beretta92FS NES Member

Another long day in the Whites yesterday! Have to take advantage of these long midsummer days with lots of daylight.

Zealand, Bond and West Bond for number 44, 45 and 46! Only two more (one trip) to go: Twin North and South.

Going up to Zealand:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From Guyot, very cool mountain!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bond:

[​IMG]

Bondcliff and West Bond as seen from Bond

[​IMG]

Bond and Bondcliff as seen from West Bond

[​IMG]

18. SKumar

SKumar NES Member

Damn dude!! I'm doing the same this weekend, except hitting up bondcliff as well. Thanks for the preview! Looks like you had a killer time. Great pics!

19. Broccoli Iglesias

Nice hiking trips. Nice pics.

20. Beretta92FS

Beretta92FS NES Member

You're doing the traverse from north to south, right? In retrospect, that's definitely the best way of doing The Bonds. Be sure to bring plenty of water, as there is no resupply between the Zealand hut and the Guyot camp site.

Pro tip: when you get to the junction to Bond/West Bond, drop your backpack and go up the spur to West Bond without it; your back will be grateful for a little trip with less weight.

21. Salyeica

Salyeica NES Member

6A6AF328-6017-4498-B7D8-CD2BBA6FF221.jpeg F9A02134-F219-40F7-B15B-CAA000A2EDD0.jpeg 1BA45AD1-3146-4C45-9ACB-EDDFFB282E14.jpeg Hiked an easy section of Snowbasin Ski Resort in UT a few weeks ago. The upper trails were still covered in snow, so did a base hike instead.

millbilly, SKumar and Beretta92FS like this.
  22. SKumar

SKumar NES Member

Yes, you read my mind.
    If I took the Lincoln trail (south to north) I can always fill up water along the stream. Coming from Zealand, if I bring 3.5L of water and pace myself I should be ok (this includes water for a couple freeze dried meals). I'll bring a can of coffee for the morning and a gatorade for sugar.

And yeah, Im definitely leaving my stuff at Guyot to climb west bond. Possibly leaving my stuff to hit up bondcliff.

Twins are easy. Good thing you're taking the north twin trail. The other group took the gale river trail to hit up all 3 peaks and ended up being 15 miles and 5k elevation gain in one day. Wow.

23. Beretta92FS

Beretta92FS NES Member

You can leave it at the actual spur, there is a little flat opening right there, that way you don't have to go back to the campsite to get it. Hard to explain, but you'll know when you see it. That's a big hike you're going into, good hiking!

24. SKumar

SKumar NES Member

One the guys suggested car spotting. Start at Zealand and end at Lincoln woods. That way, we won't have to backtrack at all (I HATE backtracking). Plus we can take our time instead of killing ourselves.

AAAND weather is looking really good! :cool::cool::cool: 80 and sunny on sat, NO RAIN on sunday! [party]

25. SKumar

SKumar NES Member

What a weekend in the white mountains! Killed it in Bonds and Zealand. Originally, we planned on doing an out and back starting from Zealand. Then we got the idea to car spot so we start at Zealand and end at Lincoln Woods. This way, we wouldn't have to backtrack and we can take it a bit easy. Everything worked out perfectly. This hike was killer! Zeacliff and Bondcliff were absolutely mindblowing. Watched the sunset at the top of west bond as the good stuff was passed around. Guyot campsite was a trip! 76 people setup camp 4000 ft in the mountains. All in all, incredible weekend. Summited 5 mountains and had a great camping experience. Weather was almost perfect (drizzled briefly at night). Was ready to chop my legs off at the end of it.

Zeacliff was mind numbingly good
    [​IMG]

Good times at the top of West Bond during sunset
    [​IMG]

Me after getting 2-3 hours of sleep
    [​IMG]

The Bond ridgeline. Looked so cool with the clouds over it.
    [​IMG]

You need to see Bondcliff to believe it. It's everything it's hyped up to be. A total beast far from civilization.
    [​IMG]

Boys day out coming to an end
    [​IMG]

Unforgettable weekend. I got the backpacking bug now.

Beretta92FS and Grendizer138 like this.
  26. Beretta92FS

Beretta92FS NES Member

Well done! That is one hard and long hike, about 20 miles? How many hours did it take? Doing the traverse from north to south like you did is definitely the way to go. And great pictures as always!

27. millbilly

millbilly NES Member

No pics but did Mt. Mansfield Hellsbrook trail. Was a real scramble. Perfect day.

SKumar and Beretta92FS like this.
  28. SKumar

SKumar NES Member

I think it was 22 from parking lot to parking lot. Total it took about 16-17 hours of hiking time. The whole range was packed with experienced hikers. Two other groups I know of did it all in one day (from zealand to bondcliff and back). When I hike, I want to enjoy it. I never want to say "ok here's bondcliff, now let's keep moving". Definitely want to do more backpacking while summer lasts.

Grendizer138 likes this.
  29. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

my favorite times are in september and october...i hate the heat, and the bugs

SteelShooter and Bonesinium like this.
  30. SteelShooter

SteelShooter NES Member

Yep.
    I'm doing Washington this week for the Seek The Peak event, I hear it's going to be miserably hot, at least at the base. When I did it last year it was so hot at the top I think they almost broke a record, no wind and not a single cloud in the sky, somewhere around 70. I used my last sip of water at the base of the last set of rock pile and was definitely dehydrated.