Mountain Hiking 2016

SteelShooter

NES Member
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I did some hunting up around 10,000 feet in CO a few years ago. i had trouble finding the trail back down to the car...my orientation was just all screwed up. Luckily, i had a native with me at the time who assured me the "trail is this way". You do not necessarily notice you are short of O2, just start acting squirrely.
It was so dry and high I had nose bleeds every morning for the first 5 days. Distance gets all messed up too, when you can see 55 miles on a straight line it makes it hard to determine how far that next 'hill' is without looking at a map. I do love hiking where there are no trails though, reminded me of Alaska.

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I'm out in UT and CO hiking some of the 10k- 14Ks for the last few weeks, it's a whole different world. Spent a week at 8000 ft hoping it would help with stamina, it did a little. Just doing nothing my O2 saturation is at 95-96, normally at 99. Cant wait to get back to sea level and see if it helped anything.

Left CO yesterday, had 5" of snow overnight!
Last month I went to Argentina.

Friday, I flew from Buenos Aires (0 feet) to a desert around 8K feet.

Saturday morning started climbing to 14.5K feet. The desert was brutal. Under the sun it was hot AF. In the shade it was cold. We found a place with shade around 11K feet and rested for two hours. Half the body under the sun half in the shade to not get cold or sun burnt (lol).

At night (after climbing for some 12 miles) we finally arrived to 14K feet. We were too tired to continue so we slept in a cave at 14K feet (really bad idea - in theory). We were all fine, no one got sick.

We were so tired, no one wanted to cook. That night we ate energy bars.

Climbing, we had to stop every 400 feet or so to breath.

The next morning we walked 20 miles at an average altitude of 13K feet through a mountain range that on the other side was a rain forest. That took us 12 hours of walking. 13.5 hours including rest.

We walked 2 more days after that until we arrived to our destination at another town 6K feet and 50 miles away.

We spent 30 hours walking over 12K feet and 10 hours walking below 10K feet.

It was awesome.

Start in the desert, finish in a rain forest. We saw 4 people the entire time.

What I did, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless you know you dont get sick. Going from 0 feet to 14K feet in less than 2 days and sleeping there was pretty stupid. But now I know I can handle it.

We carried all our food and water. Most people do that trip they hire donkeys. Most of us lost some muscle due to the huge amount of calories we burnt. It was brutal.

The biggest mind f*** was seeing the animal trail we were following. There is nothing worse than being at the summit of a mountain, seeing your trail going down to a river, then back up and around another mountain on the other side. I think that was the worse part. That's one of the downsides of hiking in the desert, you can see the entire trail and know it will s***.

20190323_163236.jpg 20190322_171623.jpg 20190325_133323.jpg 20190327_145508.jpg 20190325_111303.jpg

Last edited:

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
The arrow marks where the cave was at 14K feet. It is about 500 meters past that valley. The pic was taken from around 10-11K feet and a few miles away.

Screenshot_20190512-235034_Gallery.jpg

I did the entire trip with a Zpack. I loved it. I have the one that has the big pocket in the back with a zipper.

I also used a Tarpent Tent - 2 person tent under 2lbs - awesome.

And I used a Sea To Summit (I think it is called the SK3 or SQ3 ... something like that. It is their lightest bag that handles to 20 degrees). At night it was around 25 degrees and I was sweating. Great bag and it packs super small (the size of a water bottle).

Last edited:

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It was so dry and high I had nose bleeds every morning for the first 5 days. Distance gets all messed up too, when you can see 55 miles on a straight line it makes it hard to determine how far that next 'hill' is without looking at a map. I do love hiking where there are no trails though, reminded me of Alaska.
I have seen that optical illusion while hiking in Switzerland. Was hiking down Schilthorn (the one across the valley from the Eiger). Half way down i see this tiny hill to the right of the trail. About an hour later, i am standing next to that "hill", and i swear it is as big as Mt. Washington! Weird shit.

the key to high hiking...if you are going to be up there more than just a day hike, is the ACLIMATE first. In CO, i was hunting in the 6.5 - 7K range on some rolling hills for a week, before i went up to 10K feet. That probably saved my azz, as i had some time to adapt. I have no idea how i would have packed a full Elk down that mountain had i bagged one!

SKumar

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Made it to Mt Garfield today. Absolute sickness. Weather was gorgeous today. Views were nuts. You could see several 4kers, including many presidentials.AEB48B2E-6988-4425-8501-464A1F4E6A1C.jpeg
F8AC795A-C25A-449C-9A48-8EEE24034FED.jpeg
2A87E70D-CB4A-46A6-8B8D-EAE30452661C.jpeg

SKumar

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
What a f***ing SICK day. Absolutely gorgeous weather, perfect hike, and cool people. Everyone kept telling me how awesome Mt Moosilauke is and I've never done it until yesterday. VERY crowded (leaning towards Franconia density). Moosilauke itself was a quick hike with a steep grade. We continued the beautiful ridge line and hit South Peak. Literally a 10/10 day. Got ice cold local beers and burgers afterward with another hiking group. White Mountains is where it's at, for sure. :emoji_ok_hand:

millbilly

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
What a f***ing SICK day. Absolutely gorgeous weather, perfect hike, and cool people. Everyone kept telling me how awesome Mt Moosilauke is and I've never done it until yesterday. VERY crowded (leaning towards Franconia density). Moosilauke itself was a quick hike with a steep grade. We continued the beautiful ridge line and hit South Peak. Literally a 10/10 day. Got ice cold local beers and burgers afterward with another hiking group. White Mountains is where it's at, for sure. :emoji_ok_hand:

That's one of my favorites. Did you start at the Dartmouth College Lodge? We did Mt Washington yesterday. What a perfect weekend.

SKumar

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
That's one of my favorites. Did you start at the Dartmouth College Lodge? We did Mt Washington yesterday. What a perfect weekend.
We did the classic loop which includes South Peak. Started with the Gorge Brook trail to Carriage Rd. Tripyrimids are next weekend!

Beretta92FS

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Finally got the courage to start on The Bonds, well at least one of them. The Crown Jewel of the Whites: Bond Cliff.

Bond Cliff is unreal, pictures does not do it justice and no words can describe it. It must be experienced.

A long hike for sure, and the hike was surprisingly muddy, even at higher altitudes. And the Lincoln Woods trail is brutal on the way back, but well worth it!

Topping off the water at the 2nd to last water crossing.

Almost there....

Omg! [smile] crazy!

Owl's head down below:

Last edited:

SKumar

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Holy moly! Perfect day to experience Bondcliff! I can't wait to be there in July to complete the Bonds entirely. Even your pics look mindblowing.
Well done! How did you like the slide? :)
Slide was tough! The rain from the day before made the rocks super slippery. Getting traction was very difficult. I had to bushwack on the sides for quite a bit. The ascent reminded me of Mt Adams short air trail. Awesome views of waterville valley and the osceolas. Definitely a difficult climb.

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Finally got the courage to start on The Bonds, well at least one of them. The Crown Jewel of the Whites: Bond Cliff.

Bond Cliff is unreal, pictures does not do it justice and no words can describe it. It must be experienced.

A long hike for sure, and the hike was surprisingly muddy, even at higher altitudes. And the Lincoln Woods trail is brutal on the way back, but well worth it!

Topping off the water at the 2nd to last water crossing.

Almost there....

Omg! [smile] crazy!

Owl's head down below:

Did you do the entire pemi trail?
How long did it take you to get up there?

I have done portions of the trail and I'm looking at doing the entire loop this summer.

Beretta92FS

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Did you do the entire pemi trail?
How long did it take you to get up there?

I have done portions of the trail and I'm looking at doing the entire loop this summer.
I only did Lincoln Woods up and down; a total of approximately 17.5 miles. It took 5:10 hours up, and 4:40 hours down, and I spent around 40 minutes on the summit, so a total of 10:30 hours for the whole thing.

Last edited:

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I only did Lincoln Woods up and down; a total of approximately 17.5 miles. It took 5:10 hours up, and 4:40 hours down, and I spent around 40 minutes on the summit, so a total of 10:30 hours for the whole thing.
Nice. That is good time for 17.5 miles and 40min hanging out at the top. I have seen people that cant make the Franconia loop in that time frame.

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Is anyone here interested in doing the Pemi trail this summer?

Day 1: Parkinglot to Guyot
Day 2: Guyot to Garfield
Day 3: Garfield to Liberty Spring
Day 4: liberty back to the parkinglot.

Or do day 3 Garfield straight to the parkinglot. It's only an additional 6.3 miles.

Beretta92FS

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Nice. That is good time for 17.5 miles and 40min hanging out at the top. I have seen people that cant make the Franconia loop in that time frame.
Thanks! The pleasant temperature that day certainly helped keeping time down. And with only about 3200 feet elevation gain and no tricky sections, it was not a difficult hike, just very long.

Honestly the worst part was probably the Lincoln Woods trail on the return. That trail always feels brutal on the feet; not sure why, maybe because it consists of old railroad ballast with just a thin layer of soil on top. It's almost like walking on concrete.

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thanks! The pleasant temperature that day certainly helped keeping time down. And with only about 3200 feet elevation gain and no tricky sections, it was not a difficult hike, just very long.

Honestly the worst part was probably the Lincoln Woods trail on the return. That trail always feels brutal on the feet; not sure why, maybe because it consists of old railroad ballast with just a thin layer of soil on top. It's almost like walking on concrete.
I hear you man. That trail is never ending, and it is so flat. I walked 30 miles in 2 days, the last 3 or so miles were on that trail around 11am. I kept seeing light far away and I kept thinking it was the damn bridge near the parking lot, but it wasnt. I felt like I was in a never ending flat tunnel.

I was so tired and my feet hurt so much, I didnt stop. I knew if I stopped I wouldn't want to walk again.

I hate it when I can see where the trail goes a few miles ahead, that kills me. But if it is a trail with a lot of curves, I will walk miles and not feel it.

Also, the distances in the maps have to be BS. some sections say 1.2/2 miles but they definitely feel a lot longer than that. And I walk fast.

The last Argentina hike was like that. I could see the trail zigzagging up the mountain, then going behind the mountain, and then up another mountain on the other side of the river. It was brutal and amazing, but mostly brutal. [laugh]

Beretta92FS

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I need some advise from the experts: I have 7 peaks left on "the list", and Madison and Adams are two of them.

What is the easiest path to Madison and Adams? I don't mind making two separate hikes, but I'd like to avoid any crazy slides, insane scrambles, slippery ledges and so on. Easiest is the operative word here...

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
doing this from my phone, but hiking up “the castles” from the west, up jefferson, then to adams and madison, then back down to the access road i parked my car at

Great views above tree line, as i recall

andrew1220

NES Member
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
Last month I went to Argentina.

Friday, I flew from Buenos Aires (0 feet) to a desert around 8K feet.

Saturday morning started climbing to 14.5K feet. The desert was brutal. Under the sun it was hot AF. In the shade it was cold. We found a place with shade around 11K feet and rested for two hours. Half the body under the sun half in the shade to not get cold or sun burnt (lol).

At night (after climbing for some 12 miles) we finally arrived to 14K feet. We were too tired to continue so we slept in a cave at 14K feet (really bad idea - in theory). We were all fine, no one got sick.

We were so tired, no one wanted to cook. That night we ate energy bars.

Climbing, we had to stop every 400 feet or so to breath.

The next morning we walked 20 miles at an average altitude of 13K feet through a mountain range that on the other side was a rain forest. That took us 12 hours of walking. 13.5 hours including rest.

We walked 2 more days after that until we arrived to our destination at another town 6K feet and 50 miles away.

We spent 30 hours walking over 12K feet and 10 hours walking below 10K feet.

It was awesome.

Start in the desert, finish in a rain forest. We saw 4 people the entire time.

What I did, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless you know you dont get sick. Going from 0 feet to 14K feet in less than 2 days and sleeping there was pretty stupid. But now I know I can handle it.

We carried all our food and water. Most people do that trip they hire donkeys. Most of us lost some muscle due to the huge amount of calories we burnt. It was brutal.

The biggest mind f*** was seeing the animal trail we were following. There is nothing worse than being at the summit of a mountain, seeing your trail going down to a river, then back up and around another mountain on the other side. I think that was the worse part. That's one of the downsides of hiking in the desert, you can see the entire trail and know it will s***.

View attachment 284313 View attachment 284314 View attachment 284315 View attachment 284316 View attachment 284317
Gorgeous photos, especially the second photo. My geology background has me nerding out on that one[laugh]
Classic fold and thrust belt there.

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Gorgeous photos, especially the second photo. My geology background has me nerding out on that one[laugh]
Classic fold and thrust belt there.
Google Jujuy Argentina Mountains. Every mountain looks like that on the Tilcara side.

If you go to a map, look for Tilcara, Jujuy, Argentina.

Going across the mountains, west to east, you cross from desert to rain forest, the mountains hold all the moisture on the east side and down south. The rainforest side is all red clay type of soil.

It was amazing, when we arrived, it was raining in the city. We drove 1.5 hours north and a few thousand feet up, and it was clear.

I remember reading and watching documentaries on the effect mountains have on weather, but this was the first time I witnessed it.

SKumar

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I need some advise from the experts: I have 7 peaks left on "the list", and Madison and Adams are two of them.

What is the easiest path to Madison and Adams? I don't mind making two separate hikes, but I'd like to avoid any crazy slides, insane scrambles, slippery ledges and so on. Easiest is the operative word here...

Any suggestions would be most welcome.
I’m the expert on this one.

Adams will be the BEST day of your life. However, you will go through hell to earn it.

Take the SHORT LINE TRAIL (not airline trail) going up to Adams. Start no later than 830. It’s a treacherous hike, mostly above treeline. Put your poles away because you will be using all 4s most of the time. Lots of boulder leaps, cave diving, ledge scaling. Then when you’re climbing, rocks above you will come rolling down from others, so watch out. The views on the way up are ridic. Since you’re in a valley, scream at the top of your lungs to hear a 5 second echo.

Adams is mentally demoralizing. You will be climbing forever. You think you’re near the top and nope...keeping climbing into the sky. It never ends.

However, the reward at top will be unlike anything you’ve ever seen. 360 views from way up in the sky. Mt Jefferson right next door and Washington in front of you. Other presidentials are seen as well, and you can even see Canada.

Head down the star lake trail to the Madison hut. Take some pics at the lake with Madison in the background. I left my backpack at the hut and just ran up Madison (only takes 15-20 mins). Come down, and take valley way on the way back which is way more chill.

There is no easy way to do it, but this will be the best hike of your life. Start early and make sure you finish before dark. You can do it. [thumbsup]

Last edited:
Top Bottom