1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mountain Hiking 2016

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by tk421991, May 2, 2016.

1. Skeeter

Skeeter NES Member

ViewFromMoriah.jpg
    Good assessment of the North Slide. Not an easy way down for sure. I hiked the Tripyramid Loop the day before you (Saturday) but I went up the North Slide and down the South Slide. I hiked Mt. Moriah Sunday and it was one of the best days I've had in the Whites... the weather was unbelievable! The views from Moriah are incredible! Here's a shot of the Presidential Range from Moriah.

2. SKumar

SKumar NES Member

Im trying to squeeze in as much hiking before it gets too cold and dark and shitty outside (I am looking forward to winter hiking however). Last weekend I did the Liberty trail loop which covered Mt Liberty and Flume. I did it before but weather was way better this time.
    This weekend I'll be doing Tom Field and Wiley via the Avalon trail. The weekend after hopefully I'll cover the Bonds.

Beretta92FS likes this.
  3. millbilly

millbilly NES Member

Nice picture. I did the carter moriah range in July starting at 0200 on a 93 degree day! Was harder than expected!

4. millbilly

millbilly NES Member

The winter is when it gets exciting

Beretta92FS likes this.
  5. Beretta92FS

Beretta92FS NES Member

The Bonds... this is the one I worry the most about.

What's your plan for it? Take all 3 in one day, or some kind of backpack?

6. SKumar

SKumar NES Member

Im gonna talk with my crew about that. They said 12 miles but other places say 22.6 miles :/

7. millbilly

millbilly NES Member

NES Pemi loop day hike?

SKumar likes this.
  8. Beretta92FS

Beretta92FS NES Member

Did Isolation via Rocky Branch yesterday. This was probably the wettest and muddiest hike I've ever done, unreal! Met another group of hikers, one of them had done The Grid twice, another The 48 more than 20 times!

Did a bushwhack near Engine Hill to aviod the worst of the mud and standing water, and found a moose shed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SteelShooter, Skeeter and millbilly like this.
  9. SKumar

SKumar NES Member

Forgot to mention this one:

Did the Franconia Ridge Loop for the first time ever. Glad I went during this time of year. The foliage was absolutely bonkers (especially when the light shone on it). At the top was my first taste of winter. 15F plus high winds at the top. Views were absolutely stunning.

Only 1 problem: TOO MANY TOURISTS! I saw one decked out chick in slip ons (near the bottom of course).

Still, awesome hike I definitely want to do again. I'm at 25/48 as of now.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/JBTPJH93AR3FF4VD7

Skeeter, Grendizer138 and Beretta92FS like this.
  10. Beretta92FS

Beretta92FS NES Member

Very nice, and excellent photos as usual! That is one of the best hikes in The Whites, but as you say, always very crowded.

Did you do The Bonds as you planned? The Bonds will be difficult for me; I'm a relatively slow hiker and don't like overnight trips, so not sure how I can do that in one day.

11. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

I have been UP the North Slide trail twice, both times with a full pack. Would not want to go DOWN the North Slide trail though....you would be staring down the cliff face the whole time, actually SEEING the imminent death awaiting you if you slip! [rofl]

12. SKumar

SKumar NES Member

No! It was 22 miles as everyone said (plus it was raining that whole weekend). I'll do it in the springtime, and only with people who are down to RUN to the whole thing (I'd rather do it all in one day if possible).
    Doing Mt. Isolation tomorrow which I heard has a view tower at the top!

13. Beretta92FS

Beretta92FS NES Member

Which way are you taking to Isolation? I did the Rocky Branch trail to Isolation last week, and it was the wettest and muddiest hike ever, but it was still a fun hike. And no view tower on Isolation. Carrigain has a view tower.

14. SKumar

SKumar NES Member

Whoops! Carrigain is what I meant, and I'm dong that next week. For Isolation I think we're doing Glenn Boulder to Davis Path. Temps will be freezing so microspikes and bourbon flask are mandatory! [rockon]

millbilly likes this.
  15. Bonesinium

Bonesinium NES Member

Glenn Boulder is relentless. Steep and that starts immediately. No chance for a nice easy warmup to get you going. But you get above treeline quick and it's an awesome view all the way up to Davis Path.

16. SKumar

SKumar NES Member

Farkin shit! That was brutal! That Glenn Boulder trail is no joke. And the freezing winds at the top of Boot Spurr were terrifying (most people turned back). Whoever made Davis Path was on crack. The trail was directly over streams of water with only rocks to step on (it was like this for miles). My legs are absolutely dead. We took Rocky Branch back since we refused to go the Boot Spurr way again. Then we walked at least 3 miles back to the Glenn Falls parking lot (pitch black at this point, used headlamps). Probably burned 6000 calories today.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6e1wSE34XTLtL6Gq8

pepperoni and Beretta92FS like this.
  17. Beretta92FS

Beretta92FS NES Member

Well done SKumar; I was almost just across route 16 from you yesterday!

Carter Middle for #40, only 8 more to go! I am now thankfully done with all the mountains between North Conway and Gorham, getting up to that area is such a long drive for me.

Winter is surely coming, but hope I can squeeze in one more this season, need to figure out how to play The Bonds. Maybe I'll do some shorter mountains in the winter just to try to stay in shape.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SKumar likes this.
  18. 71montess

71montess NES Member

About 30 years ago, in the Grand Tetons, early September, me and another climber used our ice axes for brakes to slide down the middle of one of those snow covered canyons. We used the tip of the axe digging into the snow to slow us down. If we got going too fast it took a lot of pressure on the axe to slow us down. Hours of hiking up and minutes of coming down. It was a dangerous way of having a lot of fun ! It's called glissading.

Beretta92FS likes this.
  19. mark2215

mark2215 NES Member

Awesome hikes this weekend! Some great foliage pictures too!

8 left to hike, seems so far away to me. We just started the 48 this year, we did 6 so far, many more to go.

Last weekend we hiked Mt. Waternomee to check out the B-18 Bomber crash site. That was quite the experience. The hike was short and I thought it was going to be easy but it did have a few steep sections. There was an awesome waterfall we stopped to check out. It would be a great place to cool down on a hot summer day.
    b18memorial.jpg
    waterfall.jpg

SKumar, Beretta92FS and SERE like this.
  20. Beretta92FS

Beretta92FS NES Member

Crazy!

21. Bonesinium

Bonesinium NES Member

I told you.

I did that a bit over a year ago, in quite the opposite weather. It was so hot I went through all my water, and was so dehydrated that even after filling up at a stream I wasn’t right for a week. I thought I was going to die having to hike back up to Glenn Boulder on the way back. With no water.

22. SKumar

SKumar NES Member

I'm still glad I did it because of the scenic view. But you're right, there was no warm up. Just like Wildcat, you step onto the trail and its immediately straight up. The Rocky Branch trail had zero views, but it was more flat (approx same distance). If anyone else were to do this, I would start at the Glenn Falls parking, then car spot at the Hall Trailhead lot.
    Not a fun hike but at least it's out of the way now.

23. SKumar

SKumar NES Member

That's my plan as well. Some of these hikes theres no way I could do in the winter. I remember doing the Hancocks in the winter and it was significantly harder than summer.
    Once it warms up, then I can knock out the longer stuff like Owls Head and Bonds.

24. Beretta92FS

Beretta92FS NES Member

With regards of winter hiking, which is something i haven’t really done seriously before, what equipment do I need? I assume snowshoes, what type and what features to look for?

Do I need crampons? Already have micro spikes.

What kind of clothes can keep you warm enough, but at the same time avoid sweating too much?

What else? I’m not planning to do crazy stuff like Washington in February, but perhaps some smaller mountains (non 4000 footers).

25. SKumar

SKumar NES Member

If you have microspikes, then I don't think you need crampons. Snowshoes are a good investment, amazon has great deals (make sure you understand the strapping mechanism).

For clothes, I am totally sold on the Smartwool base layer (100% merino wool). You absolutely must be prepared to double glove. For pants, I would get a snug compression pants or anything that's not cotton, and regular hiking pants over it (the trapped warm air is enough insulation, and you can vent if needed).
    When temps reach below freezing at the base, you need a good winter jacket that's waterproof (preferably packable so you can take it off it if you heat up).

Have a good pair of winter boots. They don't necessarily need to be the hiking type, but durable enough to withstand a beating.

Also, prepare for your camelback hose to freeze. You can bring water bottles but it'll be a PITA to constantly take your backpack off to hydrate.

Just keep in mind that you'll generate heat as you hike, then freeze if you stand still. You'll be fine for non-4kers. Just don't take too long breaks.

Beretta92FS likes this.
  26. Bonesinium

Bonesinium NES Member

Snowshoes may or may not be needed but are often helpful (or necessary) and always a good idea to have when there is snow. You’ll want some that have aggressive traction (integrated crampon) and heel lifters. Heel lifters are absolutely key and make climbing so so much more comfortable.

MSR ascents and Atlas make good snowshoes.

No. Not unless you are doing something technical. Micro spikes or snowshoes are almost always sufficient.

NO cotton. Merino wool or synthetics. Wear layers. You’ll heat up quickly as you hike and will cool down FAST when you stop. A down jacket is very helpful for when you stop to eat or enjoy the views, because they are light and packable. You won’t want to wear it while moving though most likely.

I recommend gators. Keeps snow out of your boots.

Insulated boots and good socks (I also use sock liners) and you’ll be fine. My feet always feel better after winter hikes then summer hikes. I use Vasque Snowburbans.

As mentioned, Water bladders freeze. At least the drinking tube. I use wide mouth bottles, prefilled with warm water and stored upside down. Keep one in a thick wool sock in my pack and another in an insulated coozie attached to my belt.

Bring extra gloves. Well, mittens. Glove liners with touch screen compatible fingers for using your phone to take photos (if you do that) are clutch. I usually have a decent pair of gloves to use at lower elevation while moving, and glove liners and mittens for above treeline or higher colder places.

A wind breaking layer for any hikes above treeline. Wind will suck the heat right out of you in even mild temperatures. Real cold and it’s dangerous. Plan accordingly.

SKumar and Beretta92FS like this.
  27. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

a serious winter hike always has at least THREE people. One to stay with the injured hiker and the other to go get help...if something goes wrong. And there will be enough ice/snow/winds/cold to pretty much GUARANTEE something could go wrong. :)

You need to go easy, and keep opening up your clothing as you start to sweat. Because if you just hike away, and get all sweaty, the moment you stop at night to make camp you will freeze with all that wet clothing on.

Bring LOTS of things to start fires with!

You can "post hole" into deep snow when snowshoeing, and NOT be able to get out yourself. Just step off the trail, and get your foot caught in some small evergreen that is bent over.

and you can not count on your cell phone at all. No range in the woods, AND the lithium batteries fail when it gets below freezing.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
    SKumar and Beretta92FS like this.
  28. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
    SKumar likes this.
  29. Bonesinium

Bonesinium NES Member

All but one of my winter hikes has been solo. If you go a popular trail, especially on weekends, there will be plenty of people out there with you anyways.

Going solo is fine. Know your limits. Leave your plans with someone. Turn back if you even think something is wrong or the weather isn’t what you thought. The mountain will still be there for you to try again.

But yes, definitely pack emergency supplies. Fire starts, extra clothing, bivvy/emergency blanket, etc. I always tend to overpack on my cold weather day hikes.

30. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

I go out hiking solo too. And a lot is backcountry hunting where nobody would find my carcass for months. But I have seen enough shit to know my limits and carry a lot of gear and clothing. Also people know where I am, generally, and I stick to the plan I left behind

If u are a newbie, solo winter hiking is “high risk”. What if you punch thru a “frozen” lake, lose your pack, and are sopping wet as the sun goes down? not a big deal if u have a buddy to start a fire, but on your own your fingers will not even work enough to use a lighter