Motorcycle permit.

Yeah, the 'adding throttle in a turn' saved my butt a few times up in the mountains. The natural reaction is to ease off, or worse, slam off the throttle. I was guilty of it. Easing into a turn the bike just eats into the turn and stays stable. Ease off and you load the 1/4 inch of rubber holding you on the road too much and away you go.
If the bike is leaned over in a turn and yiu ease off, it will lean over more. Adding a slight bit of throttle will keep it at the same lean and more throttle will reduce the lean.

If you come into a corner too fast and you are leaned over a decent amount and cut the throttle you risk dragging a peg or low siding.

In the event I am going too fast for into a corner I’ll straighten up, brake hard as hell and then resume the turn.

My .02.

Yup, that is my go-to SMIDSY move. You'd be amazed at how the drivers texters head would pop up, suddenly realizing that there is a motorcycle coming at them.
That is now known as the “SMIDSY weave.”

Started doing it in 1985 but didn’t know why it worked until I watched that video and learned about “looming.”

That guy Duncan is the most Brit guy on the planet.

View: https://youtu.be/tnIisFbd06o

"When did you work for Joe? I took my ERC there in '09..."

I was working at the Lab on Hanscom and in the late 90's DOD came out with policy saying if you want to ride on Base you must complete at least the basic rider course. To many knuckleheads buying crotch rockets and killing themselves was the reason. They paid for it so I took the experienced course, Ironstone came to the base to teach it. I passed with a perfect score and 2 weeks later receive a letter from Ironstone Ventures asking me if I wanted to be an instructor. I signed up and drove to Seekonk for the classroom and back to Hanscom for the teaching practice. I taught until August 2001 when we deployed and when I returned in April 2002 MSF had changed to the BRC. Joe gave me all the new material and let me sit in on classes and had me recertified. I taught until 2003 when we deployed again for 2 yrs. Classroom was in Acton behind Moto Mart which is gone.
Joe died a few years ago, story was in AMA magazine. He was riding and went off the road into woods and hit a tree. I was taking the Utah Class at the Mill a few years ago and ran into another former instructor who worked for Joe. He told me Joe had a heart attack while riding and might have been dead before he hit the tree. Joe was quite the character.
Ride on Dudes![rockon]
I knew he'd sold. I hadn't heard how he'd passed
I miss MotoMart; I used to go out that way for Euro bike night on occasion.

Bringing this back on-topic. I actually saw one of these in the wild today. I still say buy a used cheap bike for a first bike, but this thing looks like a lot of fun if you could fit it.

DEFFB47F-316C-4482-A191-3277911C35CD.jpeg

I took the MSF course 20 years ago. I had minimal riding experience, only riding friends dirt bikes.

Permit process is easy. Just a "paper" test. I'd still recommend the course to anyone, so long as you have the time.

Its also 10x easier to get your license after having riding for a couple days on their 250cc motorcycles. They're confidence boosting, and you take the practical exam with your instructors.

You get a couple days of feedback from the instructors, some stuff you may already know, some you may not.

Choice is yours.
Once you pass the test, as others have stated... you get your endorsement.

I've told this story before, I took the test for my license in the late 70's at the Brockton RMV. I went with my boss when they still had Registry Cops who were pathetic.
We're outside in parking lot when Registry Cop walks out, looks at me and tells me to ride down to end of parking lot and stop, turn around, do some circles and figure 8's and return. Cops talking to my boss and is not even looking at me. I return, he signs my license and then signs my bosses and says we're good to go. HUH? My boss told me the Cop was telling him he needed new windows in his house and my boss told him he would hook him up with his buddy.
I shit you not, what a joke.

Judging by this thread, I think if there ever was an NES meetup, there would be a bunch of good guys who like riding motorcycles. And an interesting cross- section of bikes.
FFY

Bunch of NESR guys rode to Walt Siege’s shop in Harrisville NH. Pretty amazing place. YB guys went to American Heritage Museum. Most of the area Bike Nights got killed by the pandemic. Airheads meet at a place in Maynard on Tuesdays.

Shot-01_020-COMP.jpg

FFY

Bunch of NESR guys rode to Walt Siege’s shop in Harrisville NH. Pretty amazing place. YB guys went to American Heritage Museum.

Shot-01_020-COMP.jpg
Are they Ducati engines?

Too many keys ended up on the roof.

Let me echo 'take the MSF course'. It's a good basis to start learning street riding.
This entire thread is gay.

Buy motorcycle, go ride it. Every conversation about motorcycles online becomes full gear discussions and the only thing more annoying is the organ donor comments.

ETA: just had my coffee im better now [coffee]
buy all the best gear and wear it, cheaper than surgery and prosthetics;)

FFY

Bunch of NESR guys rode to Walt Siege’s shop in Harrisville NH. Pretty amazing place. YB guys went to American Heritage Museum. Most of the area Bike Nights got killed by the pandemic. Airheads meet at a place in Maynard on Tuesdays.

Shot-01_020-COMP.jpg
Never heard of this guy, his motorcycles are pure sex.. I can guarantee I will never(unless I hit lotto) be able to afford one, but I definitely have to go see one at his shop.. Look at that exhaust, pure sex!!!

IMG_9839-e1542804781495.jpg

buy all the best gear and wear it, cheaper than surgery and prosthetics;)

Screw that, let those who ride decide!!!

Riding on the yellow line, crocs, shorts, tank top and a half helmet with a $.25 HD shop DOT sticker is the only way to roll from bar to bar!

That is now known as the “SMIDSY weave.”

Started doing it in 1985 but didn’t know why it worked until I watched that video and learned about “looming.”

That guy Duncan is the most Brit guy on the planet.

View: https://youtu.be/tnIisFbd06o

I saw this years ago. Most excellent. I used to say that word over and over. Made me laugh.

Go sign up for the motorcycle safety foundation course that'll get you licensed in a weekend. That doesn't mean you're going to be safe it doesn't mean you're going to be proficient but it will get you a license. There are only two types of bikers those that have gone down and those that have not gone down yet. And that is coming from someone that has suffered two broken wrists a broken arm a broken knee and a broken leg compliments of motorcycles. The first accident broke to wrists the second accident broke the entire left side of my body. And for god sakes by a good helmet and a good jacket if you not spending at least $1,000 on your jacket gloves and helmet you haven't spent enough. All gear all the time

Step 1 take the MSF course, and take it very seriously !

Step 2, buy a smaller 500cc bike , you will be in a learning curve and you WILL eventually drop your bike.

Step 3, every time you put your helmet on, say the words " keep my head up , look ahead , think ahead" . Recite this phrase and you will survive the street .
You guys that are like this are such a bunch of nervous pussies. The guy has experience on the dirt, he'll be fine. I literally got my mc permit and scheduled my road test the earliest day I was able to at 16. I've been riding on the street about 20 years now, precluded by years of riding and racing on the dirt, including AMA national enduros, hare scrambles, and some trials. I've never come close to dropping a bike on the street. My father was the same way, raced and rode in the dirt and the street over 60 years, never dropped a bike on the street. Riding a motorcycle is not some suicidal endeavor every time you go out, use some common sense, try to anticipate the morons in cars a bit, and you'll be fine. Yea if you've never touched a motorcycle you should absolutely learn on the dirt first or take a class, but the OP said he has dirt experience. Ya'll need to stop acting like riding a street bike is some feat of that nobody can handle. Accidents can happen, but only an absolute office chair commando with no athletic ability or a clumsy moron drops their bike or lays it down during normal street riding. The only motorcyle accidents I've ever witnessed in years of riding in clubs, doing poker runs, riding to Daytona, Laconia, etc. were the fault of bad drivers in cars, people in cars engaging in road rage against a motorcyclist, or inexperienced riders going way too fast for the conditions or their abilities, or crashes on a closed course. There are also some people that just should not ride at all because they are always afraid, nervous, physically inept, etc. they are the ones that end up hurt. You have to know yourself and your limits. The "there's only riders that have crashed, or are going to crash" bullshit is the mentality that gets people nervous and afraid and gets them hurt. Yea I've gotten pretty hurt before racing on a closed course or on the dirt, but that's riding at a level far and above what should ever happen on the street and taking risks that should never be taken on the street.

You guys that are like this are such a bunch of nervous pussies. The guy has experience on the dirt, he'll be fine. I literally got my mc permit and scheduled my road test the earliest day I was able to at 16. I've been riding on the street about 20 years now, precluded by years of riding and racing on the dirt, including AMA national enduros, hare scrambles, and some trials. I've never come close to dropping a bike on the street. My father was the same way, raced and rode in the dirt and the street over 60 years, never dropped a bike on the street. Riding a motorcycle is not some suicidal endeavor every time you go out, use some common sense, try to anticipate the morons in cars a bit, and you'll be fine. Yea if you've never touched a motorcycle you should absolutely learn on the dirt first or take a class, but the OP said he has dirt experience. Ya'll need to stop acting like riding a street bike is some feat of that nobody can handle. Accidents can happen, but only an absolute office chair commando with no athletic ability or a clumsy moron drops their bike or lays it down during normal street riding. The only motorcyle accidents I've ever witnessed in years of riding in clubs, doing poker runs, riding to Daytona, Laconia, etc. were the fault of bad drivers in cars, people in cars engaging in road rage against a motorcyclist, or inexperienced riders going way too fast for the conditions or their abilities, or crashes on a closed course. There are also some people that just should not ride at all because they are always afraid, nervous, physically inept, etc. they are the ones that end up hurt. You have to know yourself and your limits. The "there's only riders that have crashed, or are going to crash" bullshit is the mentality that gets people nervous and afraid and gets them hurt. Yea I've gotten pretty hurt before racing on a closed course or on the dirt, but that's riding at a level far and above what should ever happen on the street and taking risks that should never be taken on the street.
TL;DR, but you had me at “bunch of pussies”

I'm not telling him to take MSF for the knowledge, but he will probably learn something

It is easier to do MSF and get licensed in a weekend than it is to deal with MA RMV and their road test, especially on a bike that is too big, long, raked to do their antiquated test course.

All it takes is a RMV examiner that rejects the bike for some perceived safety violation, because they don't like the way you look, you put a foot down when you shouldn't have, etc etc etc.

Plus the insurance discount pays for itself in a couple of years

Bringing this back on-topic. I actually saw one of these in the wild today. I still say buy a used cheap bike for a first bike, but this thing looks like a lot of fun if you could fit it.

View attachment 759436

Yup, looks like a CB750 engine.

Recent developments[edit]​

Recently, Husqvarna Motorcycles has been preparing its re-entry into the street motorcycle market. In 2014, the company presented prototypes of the newly developed 401 Vitpilen and 401 Svartpilen at the EICMA in Milan, Italy.[17] Production ready versions were shown in 2016.[18] Together with the 701 Vitpilen, which was first revealed in 2015,[19] these motorcycles became publicly available in 2018.[20]

In 2017, Husqvarna Motorcycles introduced a new range of enduro motorcycles with a self-developed two-stroke fuel injection system (Transfer Port Injection - TPI).[21] The new fuel efficient, sensor-controlled technology conforms with the Euro 4 regulations for emission management.
1685844637156.png

I had a '91 CB 750 Nighthawk and it was a pretty good little bike.

Last edited:
This thread makes me think NES uses dental damns

We can party, I'll buy the first round :)

I learned to ride on a 900 Ninja, at the time it was just about the fastest bike around.

Respect the bike and you will be fine. Get a bike to ride, not to be part of a group or to establish some sort of outlaw identity. Riding a motorcycle isnt for everyone, just go to any HD dealership and look at the 8 year old bikes with 2k miles on them.

Did I tell you about the new Dainese jacket I got?
No! Which one? I was gonna buy a new one this year with a helmet from the place you shared but I don't  need them yet so other stuff got the budget

Back
Top Bottom