Motorcycle permit.

Group rides are gayer than a ponytail having Crocs wearer.

I used to ride a lot with a group called NER - New England Riders and a typical ride would consist of 10-15 riders and we rode some awesome roads all over New England. Then it started to grow and one group ride up to the Kangamangus had close to 70 riders. It was a disaster. No way to keep a group like that together on back roads up through NH. Some riders couldn't or wouldn't keep up, several wouldn't keep the proper distance and staggered formation and overall it wasn't fun as I wasn't trusting anyone around me. I finally ditched them as we got closer to the White Mountains and had fun just riding by myself. From that point forward I didn't ride with them if the group was bigger than the original 10-15 riders.

Group rides do have it's advantages if you are going to far off lands. We did rides up to Quebec City, Montreal, Nova Scotia and the Tail of the Dragon. All great times with a group of people going together.

The Hurt Report (that was the guy’s name, ironically) is still the go-to safety study. It dispelled most of the anti-helmet mythology.

The newer European MAIDS study updated info about visibility. “PTW” means “Powered Two Wheelers” as it included scooter data.

A statistic from NH some years back after 19 riders died during Bike Week stated three quarters of the fatalities were not wearing a helmet or had not taken a rider course (I.e. self taught). But did not give the breakdown. Anyone who ever visits a head-injury ward is going to wear a helmet…..

The Hurt Report (that was the guy’s name, ironically) is still the go-to safety study. It dispelled most of the anti-helmet mythology.

The newer European MAIDS study updated info about visibility. “PTW” means “Powered Two Wheelers” as it included scooter data.

A statistic from NH some years back after 19 riders died during Bike Week stated three quarters of the fatalities were not wearing a helmet or had not taken a rider course (I.e. self taught). But did not give the breakdown. Anyone who ever visits a head-injury ward is going to wear a helmet…..
Lol. “Prepared for the US Dept of Transportation”

Only government could pay for a study to determine wearing a helmet reduces injury vs not wearing a helmet.

Odd fact to reference.

Pertinent to the SMIDSY video referenced earlier:

”The most frequent accident configuration is the motorcycle proceeding straight then the automobile makes a left turn in front of the oncoming motorcycle.

The view of the motorcycle or the other vehicle involved in the accident is limited by glare or obstructed by other vehicles in almost half of the multiple vehicle accidents.

Conspicuity of the motorcycle is a critical factor in the multiple vehicle accidents, and accident involvement is significantly reduced by the use of motorcycle headlamps-on In daylight and the wearing of high visibility yellow, orange or bright red jackets.”

Conspicuity of the motorcycle is a critical factor in the multiple vehicle accidents, and accident involvement is significantly reduced by the use of motorcycle headlamps-on In daylight and the wearing of high visibility yellow, orange or bright red jackets.”
Not only is it the fastest color, but it may be the safest? WINNING!

This entire thread is gay.

Buy motorcycle, go ride it. Every conversation about motorcycles online becomes full gear discussions and the only thing more annoying is the organ donor comments.

ETA: just had my coffee im better now [coffee]
This dude posted in General Discussion, don’t give him to much credit.

I rode for years without a permit and finally got the permit in the late 90's when I ordered the 'Brand New' 1998 Fatboy. I picked it up at Sheldon's and drove directly to the (Southbridge) registry for the road test and to get the license, so about 20 minutes of practice before meeting with the trooper. I was riding a 1976 Iron-Head Sportster up to that point. It went well..... I never took a course.

On a similar note, when I purchased a CanAM quad last year, the dealer gave a $100 gift cert incentive to take a 'ATV safety course' and, although I didn't have interest, the incentive was ... incentivizing and I scheduled the course. It was an amazingly helpful course and I am really happy to have taken it.

I will suggest to anyone to take the courses for this type of thing even if you are an experienced rider -or-whatnot....

UJay

I rode for years without a permit and finally got the permit in the late 90's when I ordered the 'Brand New' 1998 Fatboy. I picked it up at Sheldon's and drove directly to the (Southbridge) registry for the road test and to get the license, so about 20 minutes of practice before meeting with the trooper. I was riding a 1976 Iron-Head Sportster up to that point. It went well..... I never took a course.

///
Got my license at the Beverly RMV in 1980. Bike was a 1979 Suzuki GS750. There was some sort of road course prescribed for the license test.

The Officer took the two of us out to the [wide ] side road next to the RMV and had us each do a figure-8. End of test.

I used to ride a lot with a group called NER - New England Riders and a typical ride would consist of 10-15 riders and we rode some awesome roads all over New England. Then it started to grow and one group ride up to the Kangamangus had close to 70 riders. It was a disaster. No way to keep a group like that together on back roads up through NH. Some riders couldn't or wouldn't keep up, several wouldn't keep the proper distance and staggered formation and overall it wasn't fun as I wasn't trusting anyone around me. I finally ditched them as we got closer to the White Mountains and had fun just riding by myself. From that point forward I didn't ride with them if the group was bigger than the original 10-15 riders.

Group rides do have it's advantages if you are going to far off lands. We did rides up to Quebec City, Montreal, Nova Scotia and the Tail of the Dragon. All great times with a group of people going together.

I stopped large group riding many years ago from mixed outcomes after said rides. Some rides were fun and reasonably safe , others were just plain rider irresponsible $hit shows. No matter what large group rides always get separated . This is a problem . The other issue is group rides consisting of widely varied experience levels. Its not fair to slow down the smart and fast front runners , and adversely its irresponsible and dangerous to force slower less experienced riders to run an uncomfortable faster pace. I still group ride but with seasoned , SMART riders whom ive known for many years and our rider count rarely exceeds 8 and we posses similar rider skill levels. Im comfortable riding with my group, and equally important they are comfortable riding with me. We match the pace to the rider with the LEAST skill ability. The rides are ultimately fun, and no "downed rider" . Knock in wood , been surviving the street for 38 years only went down once , a slow speed lowside back in the late 1980's from not reading a traffic quagmire properly.

Why isn't there an NES annual ride FFS?
I don't really care to ride wit others. Never had an issue piling into T1 with 25 other bikes all going for the same spot on the race track but some of the shit I see people do on the road is ridiculous. I haven't been on a group ride in about 8 years. I went out with the HOG group which were all nice people one ride. They rode well enough but it really wasn't what I was looking to do. Also used to do some of that street squid thing a bunch of times in the past. Only took one time to see someone go over their handlebars to know riding with people that ride over their ability for what ever reason isn't for me either. These days I just go out solo, hit the fun spots, and come home. Not against a couple of people with me but that opportunity hasn't come up.

As for the Husky for the first bike. It's probably a good one. Not a ton of stuff to break off it and it doesn't have crazy power. It should be pretty nimble as well.

I have really been enjoying my Yamaha MT07. It is light, it is quick, it handles well. Has enough power to put a smile on my face when I twist the throttle. When I get my lazy self motivated it will be seeing some trackdays. I also have a Harley. It's a Harley no matter how much I dump into it. Pretty much sits in the garage unless my kid wants to go for a ride. I will never own another sportbike for the street for various reasons. They are uncomfortable, they are too unforgiving if you screw up and you really can't ride them to their potential on the public road roads. Don't even know if I would own one for the racetrack again. Supermoto was way too much fun.

YES!!! I think it’s a twist of the wrist II (by Keith Code) is the best of the three (I forget, and I have all three)

I would re read it before each season to remind me of the skills.

It made me a much better rider!

One topic I have not seen here in 4 pages is “counter steering” learn it, live it, love it.

I don’t ride much anymore, but I had 3 bikes at once, dirt, sport bike and a Harley at the same the same time. Never took the msf course, but i recommend it.
I've mentioned counter steering in my reply's, go back and read them. Counter steering is the most important skill in riding a motorcycle as well as braking, you wouldn't believe how many students would argue with me over it especially older riders taking their first course.

I found NES because I mistyped going to NER on google one time a few years ago

I've mentioned counter steering in my reply's, go back and read them. Counter steering is the most important skill in riding a motorcycle as well as braking, you wouldn't believe how many students would argue with me over it especially older riders taking their first course.

Excellent points . "Snap those bars to the left to abruptly turn right "! A very strange concept for inexperienced new riders.

I stopped large group riding many years ago from mixed outcomes after said rides. Some rides were fun and reasonably safe , others were just plain rider irresponsible $hit shows. No matter what large group rides always get separated . This is a problem . The other issue is group rides consisting of widely varied experience levels. Its not fair to slow down the smart and fast front runners , and adversely its irresponsible and dangerous to force slower less experienced riders to run an uncomfortable faster pace. I still group ride but with seasoned , SMART riders whom ive known for many years and our rider count rarely exceeds 8 and we posses similar rider skill levels. Im comfortable riding with my group, and equally important they are comfortable riding with me. We match the pace to the rider with the LEAST skill ability. The rides are ultimately fun, and no "downed rider" . Knock in wood , been surviving the street for 38 years only went down once , a slow speed lowside back in the late 1980's from not reading a traffic quagmire properly.

Had a rider go down in front of me in a group ride that was very aggressive in the twisties up in VT. He took too shallow of an entrance to a very tight turn and his Dyna just couldn't make the turn. He went down and luckily skidded off road into a pile of leaves. His bike was bent up some but was still rideable. Almost had a heart attack as we were riding fast and his skidding ended up in my turning lane I had chosen. Luckily though he was off the road as I hit the turn.

Once you get a few miles under your belt you could take the advanced riding course. @IPSC_DRL took it with his Dresser. He said it was well worth it.
It absolutely was, however it still didn't prevent me from crashing. [sad] Sometimes $hi!t just happens and there is nothing you can do about it.

I got my first motorcycle 44 years ago and the advanced class taught me things I hadn't realized and definitely made me a better/safer rider.
If you missed the post about SMIDSY above, go back and read it or do a web search of the term. It is a literal live-saver. About 30% of drivers have their electronic pacifier in their hands based on my personal observations. :mad:

The new rider course that we run at my dealership is AMA approved and when you pass your final practical exercise {"road" test} on Sunday afternoon, you get your license.
If you had your permit, you just go to the DMV and they give you the "M" endorsement. If you didn't already have your permit, you just take the online test and get the "M".
Our riding coach has been doing it for many years and is very good.

Be safe out there.

Excellent points . "Snap those bars to the left to abruptly turn right "! A very strange concept for inexperienced new riders.
Funny story, had 2 women in one of my classes who were sisters-in-laws in their early 40's. Both had ridden dirt bikes in their teens so they were experienced but one couldn't/wouldn't get the counter steering skill. If you took the course you would remember the swerving drill. Student rides toward instructor, shifts to 2nd gear and maintains speed 15-20mph. and when instructor points left or right you swerve that way by pressing on the handlebar in the direction indicated and then back. When woman would ride toward me and I pointed she would just stop. I told her she needed to master this skill/drill or she wouldn't pass the course, both women were married to Harley riders. 2nd day, Sunday morning she marched up to me and said, "I told my husband about this counter steering crap and he told me to tell you you're full of shit". I told her I wasn't full of shit and if she didn't execute the drill she was a no-go and wouldn't pass. We went thru the rest of the day and at end of day students take the skills test. She was a good rider but stubborn so we get to the swerving drill and 1st time she just stops when point left or right. 2nd time same thing. I stop her and tell her she gets one more shot, I tell her she's an excellent student but she needs to master this skill to save her life. She gives me a F you look and send her back in line. She takes off, shifts into 2nd heading towards me and about 15 ft from me I point left. Wham, she slams handlebar right then left and goes right around. Perfect! I walk up to her and she has a holy shit look on her face. I said see it works, she looks at me and says, "I can't wait to go home and tell my husband he's full of shit". We had a good laugh, she passed and I would love to have watched her tell her husband off.
I worked for Joe from Ironstone Ventures who has since passed, and range was at the old FT. Devens airfield off of 2A in Ayer.

Last edited:
I did the MSF course/BRC (basic rider course) at Streetwise Cycle School in Foxboro in 2020. For me it was absolutely worth it. I had some dirt bike experience as a kid but never on the street (except for some scooter rentals). Me and another guy where definitely the 2 best riders there while the other 8 or so people did not have any experience. It was great to see everyone improve though. A couple of the students hopefully continued to practice a bit more before heading on to the street. The course was 2 days. Half the of the first day was classroom and the rest was all hands on riding. Passed and got my new license with the "M" endorsement in less then 2 weeks.

Dont have a bike yet but when I do, I will definitely plan to to do the Experienced Rider Course as well.

Funny story, had 2 women in one of my classes who were sisters-in-laws in their early 40's. Both had ridden dirt bikes in their teens so they were experienced but one couldn't/wouldn't get the counter steering skill. If you took the course you would remember the swerving drill. Student rides toward instructor, shifts to 2nd gear and maintains speed 15-20mph. and when instructor points left or right you swerve that way by pressing on the handlebar in the direction indicated and then back. When woman would ride toward me and I pointed she would just stop. I told her she needed to master this skill/drill or she wouldn't pass the course, both women were married to Harley riders. 2nd day, Sunday morning she marched up to me and said, "I told my husband about this counter steering crap and he told me to tell you you're full of shit". I told her I wasn't full of shit and if she didn't execute the drill she was a no-go and wouldn't pass. We went thru the rest of the day and at end of day students take the skills test. She was a good rider but stubborn so we get to the swerving drill and 1st time she just stops when point left or right. 2nd time same thing. I stop her and tell her she gets one more shot, I tell her she's an excellent student but she needs to master this skill to save her life. She gives me a F you look and send her back in line. She takes off, shifts into 2nd heading towards me and about 15 ft from me I point left. Wham, she slams handlebar right then left and goes right around. Perfect! I walk up to her and she has a holy shit look on her face. I said see it works, she looks at me and says, "I can't wait to go home and tell my husband he's full of shit". We had a good laugh, she passed and I would love to have watched her tell her husband off.
I worked for Joe from Ironstone Ventures who has since passed, and range was at the old FT. Devens airfield off of 2A in Ayer.

You can relate to this as im sure you know the type. Theres two types of "experienced" riders . #1 ) The bagger bragger : "Iv'e been riding since i was 9, i know how to ride" (rides all over the road, no group stagger formation, always looking around everywhere except straight ahead). And you know to hang way back following this type of clown.

#2 the quiet friendly guy that shows up with full protective gear riding an older stock 1982 GS1100E and is just is expertly shredding the corners making a mockery of guys on modern sport bikes. You come to realize the "GS guy" is a veteran "A" level LRRS rider who doesnt talk crap but lets is skilled riding do the talking. Ive ridden with both.

You can relate to this as im sure you know the type. Theres two types of "experienced" riders . #1 ) The bagger bragger : "Iv'e been riding since i was 9, i know how to ride" (rides all over the road, no group stagger formation, always looking around everywhere except straight ahead). And you know to hang way back following this type of clown.

#2 the quiet friendly guy that shows up with full protective gear riding an older stock 1982 GS1100E and is just is expertly shredding the corners making a mockery of guys on modern sport bikes. You come to realize the "GS guy" is a veteran "A" level LRRS rider who doesnt talk crap but lets is skilled riding do the talking. Ive ridden with both.
Yup, it was the older Harley riders taking the experienced course who would bitch and moan over counter steering and use of the front brake. Remember, we taught SQUEZZE the front brake, not grab the front brake. I learned about counter steering from RIDER magazine in the 80's. I remember reading the article and thought HUH, is this a real thing? I rode to a big parking lot and started doing wide circles and gradually started pressing on the left handlebar and felt the bike leaning and the circle tightening. The more I pressed and rolled on throttle the tighter the circle and the more the bike leaned. WOW! Who Knew? I was riding a 1982 Honda CB900F at the time.

"When did you work for Joe? I took my ERC there in '09..."

I was working at the Lab on Hanscom and in the late 90's DOD came out with policy saying if you want to ride on Base you must complete at least the basic rider course. To many knuckleheads buying crotch rockets and killing themselves was the reason. They paid for it so I took the experienced course, Ironstone came to the base to teach it. I passed with a perfect score and 2 weeks later receive a letter from Ironstone Ventures asking me if I wanted to be an instructor. I signed up and drove to Seekonk for the classroom and back to Hanscom for the teaching practice. I taught until August 2001 when we deployed and when I returned in April 2002 MSF had changed to the BRC. Joe gave me all the new material and let me sit in on classes and had me recertified. I taught until 2003 when we deployed again for 2 yrs. Classroom was in Acton behind Moto Mart which is gone.
Joe died a few years ago, story was in AMA magazine. He was riding and went off the road into woods and hit a tree. I was taking the Utah Class at the Mill a few years ago and ran into another former instructor who worked for Joe. He told me Joe had a heart attack while riding and might have been dead before he hit the tree. Joe was quite the character.
Ride on Dudes![rockon]

It’s funny to see guys advocate for high viz underwear or whatever and also pushing bikes to their cornering limits while speeding.
If you ride a sport bike that's what they're built for. I owned a 1988 Honda Hurricane 1000 for a few years but I was too old to enjoy riding it, crouched over position killed my knees and wrists.
There's a Harley rider I've seen riding around Leominster wearing a full Viking Helmet with horns. :oops:
Not exactly DOT approved and surprised he's never been pulled over. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom