1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Motorcycle Guys....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Du510, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Du510

Du510

Can you guys give me some feedback:

- DragginJeans

vs.

- JoeRocket Jeans

I'm currently leaning more toward the JoeRocket, as you can throw in some CE armor... but DJ has a better rep, from what I've heard so far.

What do you guys think?

2. George D

George D NES Member

Joe Rocket stuff is too "Joe Rockety". Those weird bands on the legs look funny. I am surprised it doesn't have a giant logo on the crotch.

3. Martlet

Martlet

I like my Levi's.

4. Du510

Du510

So do I, but I'm recently thinking that I'd like my jeans to last more than 5 feet on a skid.

5. Viking Kitten

Viking Kitten

http://www.hoodjeans.co.uk/

Based in UK (obviously), more lined area than Draggin' Jeans. You send 'em an email with your measurements (waist, what you want the inseam to be) and they custom make the jeans. I think you can select from a couple different denim washes too.

No one has ever asked, "Are those riding pants?" just from looking at them.

I had my order in hand in about 10-12 days from the time I sent the email. They were great to deal with, small family company.

I liked them in part because I could order a longer inseam than I could get on "standard" jeans. As soon as I got into the riding position most hems are midway up my calf, not what I wanted.

6. Du510

Du510

Awesome feedback, thanks! It even comes in woodland camo [smile]

7. FiremanBob

FiremanBob NES Member

8. Mr Weebles

Mr Weebles

I have the Cortech CPX in black and love them. They're obviously heavier than a regular pair of cargo pants but they're much more comfortable than my Joe Rocket Ballistics. I save the Ballistics for colder weather.

9. Mr Weebles

Mr Weebles

At 30 MPH Levi's will last about 3 seconds in a spill on asphalt before they wear through.

Your choice though, of course. Personally, I ride with ATGATT.

10. Tooth

Tooth NES Member

Naked

I am no safety nut, but it drives me crazy when I see people wearing shorts and flip flops on a bike. At least the Levi's will give me 3 seconds.[smile]

11. edin508

edin508

I use a set of overpants that just zip down the legs. I put the hard armor in them as well.
    I would rather sweat than bleed!
    And yes I have been down, you should see my leathers, would have really hurt. But even at 50+mph after I was done sliding I got up and tried to get my bike going again but it needed a bit of help at that point. [crying]
    [​IMG]

12. jobowker

jobowker

I'm with you - I take the quilted liner out of my pants and jacket, and sweat quite a bit in the summer, but for me it's ATGATT.

Was the Ducati totaled?

13. edin508

edin508

No way! I swiped some parts off my friends Aprilla, who had to go home a day early and rode the next day. [smile]
    I still ride this bike, about 500 miles from the 30k mark. I will admit that I haven't taken her out the past couple of years as much as I would have liked. She has been doing more sitting than anything, I had to jump start it yesterday to go for a ride.[thinking]

14. Chris

Chris NES Member

Just east of Zone 9, but in Worcester County.
    Dragin Jeans are the minimum I'll wear. Prefer armor,but if I know I won't have a place to change and need to walk or hang around a while, they are a comfy alternative. Much prefer the BMW Summer Pant. Also comfy, but has armor and the zip off legs make for a nice lounging short. One nice feature is that they are not a dark color.

15. Du510

Du510

That's what I am thinking, preferring armor. That's why I am leaning more toward JoeRocket Pants... its got pockets for armor.

I'll probably grab a few different... like holsters, I guess.

16. jmhorrible

jmhorrible

I don't think that your muffler is DOT legal when it's on the ground like that. You're liable for a ticket [rofl]

Glad to hear you walked away from that one. I've been down 2x and both times I was lucky to have no lasting injuries. I'm semi-retired but I get the itch to ride every spring.

17. edin508

edin508

I love to ride but the public roads are so bad !! After you zig to get out of the way from soccer mom on her cell you need to zag away from the guy reading the paper [angry]

BTW.. That exhaust isn't DOT on the bike [devil] An L-twin needs to breath [smile]

18. dwarven1

dwarven1 Appleseed Instructor Dealer NES Member

Might want to try some of these guys' pants: http://www.brosh.com/new/default.asp?L=1 Made in Israel where they know a little about riding in the heat! I have one of their jackets (which I keep forgetting to put up for sale every summer because I'm a little skinnier than when I ordered is so I need to get a smaller size).

19. zzrider

zzrider

I have a pair of Draggin' Jeans, which I wore only once. Hate them. They are hot and the kevlar lining is scratchy and irritating as all hell. To actually be comfortable in them, I'd have to wear a pair of poly underarmor or such, at which point I may as well just wear real riding pants.

My heavy Joe Rocket leather riding pants are actually much more comfortable, cooler, and more protective than the reinforced jeans. I also have a pair of First Gear armored mesh riding pants, which also are more protective, comfortable, and MUCH cooler than even regular street jeans.

If I'm going for a shortish ride and don't feel like wearing armored gear, I just wear street jeans.

20. sportycliff

sportycliff

Levis and 3 seconds is good enough for me...

21. Du510

Du510

Thanks guys, for all the good advise. I ended up grabbing a pair of JR jeans late last night.... it has already arrived in Windsor Locks. So, looks like Ill be able to wear em riding tomorrow night.

22. edin508

edin508

You better tell us how you like them.

23. Du510

Du510

If you wanna hear it, Ill give it to ya.

24. graftyman

graftyman

I've had a pair of Draggin jeans for about 9 years now. They were the original ones. I have about 20k miles on them and they have held up well. I haven't been down in them but they are better then regular jeans for abrasion protection.

I normally wear an Aerostich Roadcrafter . But alot of times I leave the pants at home and wear jeans. Most of that time I wear the Draggin Jeans.

As for heat, it sure as hell wasn't an issue on the way to Goose Bay last week. [smile] I'm interested in how you like the JR ones as I just realized it was probably time for a new set of Kevlar Jeans.

25. Mr Weebles

Mr Weebles

You ain't kidding. On the way to work this morning I had a car got through a stop sign and pull three quarters of the way into the road before stopping, and then another car did the same thing 5 miles later.

Both cars were driven by high school kids.

26. 25th_pull

25th_pull

The Joe Rocket Jeans are comfortable, I wear them on my Hayabusa.....but in a crash it doesn't matter how much Denim you're wearing. Go for comfort!

27. TheIglu

TheIglu

I wear jeans or Khakis under my Cortech armored riding pants.

Even a getoff at 20mph ends badly with jeans, I learned that the hard way back in 2003.

28. lord1234

lord1234

29. Du510

Du510

So just now I was folding up my JR jeans (to put them away after riding this past Sunday); for some totally strange reason, I remembered you had asked for feedback. So here it it, some 17 months later.

First things first, a lot of it comes down to size. So to understand, I am 6'3", a solid 261 pounds, 47" chest, 36/37" arms, and I wear a 36/34 jeans. I am tall, wide, but "athletic cut", and that makes clothes a bit tough to find perfectly cut. I've gotten to know my tailor quite well.

Joe Rocket Jeans: LINK
    These suckers are the pants I mentioned in my post above; I got them a long time ago and wear them often. They're pretty heavy in weight, the denim is thick, and the grommets/zipper/etc is tough. The button (?) on the belt line (you know, the thing above the zipper) is on some sort of ball bearing, it's solid and easy to put on. The stretch panels stretch nicely; those are amazing when riding with mid-controls (or, I imagine, a sportbike with your feet behind you). I now ride with forward controls, so I don't use the panels as much, except for getting on and off the bike (esp with the wife on the back). The kevlar is thicker than other pants I've checked out.

Sizing, however, is the issue for me. I ordered the 38 tall; the waist is too big (so, it's pretty true to size, since I wear a 36), but the legs are just too damn short. I ripped open the cuffs to make it a bit longer, but its still just a tad too short for me to be "happy". On the same track, it comes with CE approved knee armor, and there are two pockets in each knee (at different heights). Neither one of them worked for me, they are both below my knee. I imagine these jeans would be 100% great for someone just a little shorter. But with that said, they're still my go-to jeans; they're amazingly comfortable and super-solid.

Sliders Kevlar Cargo 3.0 Riding Pants:
    Link HERE. I bought these more recently, and wear them for warmer-weather riding. It's got more kevlar protection, on a square-inch basis. But, it doesn't feel as thick as the JR jeans. They're lighter weight, which makes it more comfortable for summertime riding. I ordered these in a 38/36, and they are good and big on me. No so big that it'll snag, but definitely baggier than I ever wear my normal jeans (I wear levi lowrise boot cut). They have a lot of pockets, which is nice as my bike (Harley Fat Bob) doesn't have much in the way of storage for a wallet, iPod, keys, etc. I got em in OD Green, and it's pretty good looking. I can definitely wear them around and not have anyone think I am wearing motorcycle pants.

So, that's my writeup on my two favorite bike jeans, as requested eons ago... Better late than never? Feel free to hit me up with questions.

30. rwl1955

rwl1955

Me too! I went down once when I was about 19 yrs.old. If it wasn`t for my crappy jacket and my Bell open face helmet w/a wraparound face shield I`d be even uglier. I`ve been thinking about the draggin jeans thou. I`m looking for new riding pants also. Just bought a new Tourmaster elite jacket in Hi-Viz so I`d like a pr. of black cordura gore-tex pants w/knee and hip pads to go along w/my new(2000) BMW RT.