• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Motorcycle carry

Anybody carry long guns on their motorcycle? If so, how do you do it and is it comfortable? I am interested in this to go to and from the range; not as a self defense rig.
I am thinking of just slinging a soft-sided case across my back but was curious if there are other options.

You could use a Galati drag bag. They have straps so you can wear it like a backpack and it can hold your eyes/ears/ammo and what not as well. It's going to whack you in the helmet and act as a sail when the wind catches it, but unless you want to find a way to mount a hard case to your bike somehow, your options are fairly limited.

id_harley_wla_full_2.jpg

short of stuffing it in a sidecar, i would think a custom hard saddlebag might be your only option but even then that would throw your weight distribution off and countersteering my get hairy.

You could use a Galati drag bag. They have straps so you can wear it like a backpack and it can hold your eyes/ears/ammo and what not as well. It's going to whack you in the helmet and act as a sail when the wind catches it, but unless you want to find a way to mount a hard case to your bike somehow, your options are fairly limited.

Would this be acceptable under MA law regarding transport vs. carry? The section is covered for unloaded in a locked case, but technically you are carrying said case.

I use "Gig bags" made to carry electric guitars or basses. The guitar gig bags work well for shorter carbine length guns, and the bass bags work for standard length rifles. The bonus is it looks like you are carrying a guitar or a bass. Any music store will sell them in different styles and sizes, and prices. Get one with backpack straps. They will catch the wind a little bit(nowhere near as bad as a rifle case shaped bag), but if that concerns you, you can find one with a thinner top.

Last edited:
I carried my golf clubs once and I wouldn't do it again. A small hard case (locked & unloaded) is easier if you have a roomy enough jacket where you can stuff the case inside your jacket, and anchor the bottom of the case to the back of your belt.

The case will whack your helmet a few times.

My Monster is bright red to begin with, so my main concern would be that every police officer that goes by would notice me and depending on his/her curiosity might want to pull me over just because he can. While I don't think I would be breaking any laws, I'd rather not attract any MORE attention.

I feel your pain

There are seveal times when I would like to take my bike places that are not reasonable. I have traveled short distances with some pretty stupid things hanging out of my bags, and have thought of taking the trip to the range. However if it seems like a dumb idea it probably is. And though I have thought of this as well it is probably a dumb idea, just take the car.

One day I went to pick up take out. I just had to ride the bike. Like the idiot that I am I did not check to see that my bags were completely full of crap before I left the house. When I went to put the food in the bags I realized my dilema. I proceeded home with plastic bags hanging from my arms and flapping in the breeze. When I pulled into my garage I was so excited that I did not kill myself in the process that I did not pay attention when getting off the bike. I caught one of the bags on my tractor, and steak tips went flying across the garage. Thank god it was my meal, because I picked them up and ate them anyway. (If it was the wifes I would have had to switch the styrofoame conatiners). I knew this was a stupid thing to do but was otherwise stuck at the resturant.

Bottom line I have done some stupid things on the bike just for the chance to ride. Going down the road with a gun on my back or hanging out of the bags is probably a bad idea, but do whatever you want. It is america, but maybee not for long.

After thinking about this a little more I think my best bet would be to disassemble and put in a normal backpack. Both my AR and shotgun that I was interested in transporting can be disassembled into two pieces without tools and easily fit into my backpack I usually ride with. This would also minimize the chance of snagging some object if I had a longer case when going through the woods.

I wouldn't call riding with long arms stupid if it is done safely and responsibly.

There are seveal times when I would like to take my bike places that are not reasonable. I have traveled short distances with some pretty stupid things hanging out of my bags, and have thought of taking the trip to the range. However if it seems like a dumb idea it probably is. And though I have thought of this as well it is probably a dumb idea, just take the car.

One day I went to pick up take out. I just had to ride the bike. Like the idiot that I am I did not check to see that my bags were completely full of crap before I left the house. When I went to put the food in the bags I realized my dilema. I proceeded home with plastic bags hanging from my arms and flapping in the breeze. When I pulled into my garage I was so excited that I did not kill myself in the process that I did not pay attention when getting off the bike. I caught one of the bags on my tractor, and steak tips went flying across the garage. Thank god it was my meal, because I picked them up and ate them anyway. (If it was the wifes I would have had to switch the styrofoame conatiners). I knew this was a stupid thing to do but was otherwise stuck at the resturant.

Bottom line I have done some stupid things on the bike just for the chance to ride. Going down the road with a gun on my back or hanging out of the bags is probably a bad idea, but do whatever you want. It is america, but maybee not for long.

I have slung a soft side across my back, and I drove the perimeter road around manchester airport to get to the firing line ..... no stops, no second looks.

I haven't yet tried riding with a long gun (don't own one yet), but I've ridden my ZZR1200 a number of times with my Stratocaster on my back in a soft gig bag. As has been mentioned, I see no reason why this wouldn't work for a rifle as well.

PACKING AND RIDING

I ride year round myself, so I like to use a vest that has inside pockets for my carry gun. Also if im riding out to the range, I put triggers locks on my pistols and put them in a range bag and sling it over my sholder, and go to the range.
as far as a rifle....well I havent tried that yet but Im sure it goes the same way. find a good duffle bag, break down and wrap the rifle( make sure to put a trigger lock on it) put it over your sholder, and off you go.
I said a duffle bag because riding drown the street with a rifle bag might draw too much attion to yourself.[wink]

I ride year round myself, so I like to use a vest that has inside pockets for my carry gun. Also if im riding out to the range, I put triggers locks on my pistols and put them in a range bag and sling it over my sholder, and go to the range.
as far as a rifle....well I havent tried that yet but Im sure it goes the same way. find a good duffle bag, break down and wrap the rifle( make sure to put a trigger lock on it) put it over your sholder, and off you go.
I said a duffle bag because riding drown the street with a rifle bag might draw too much attion to yourself.[wink]

Trigger locks do not meet transportation requirements in MA. It must be a locked container.

I transport a Rizzini 12 ga O/U on my FLHTC. I carry the stock and ammo in the tour pack and the barrels get put in a sleeve and strapped to the luggage rack.

I've seen a case from Kolpin mounted on bikes before.

Or the Cabelas variant:

s7_523287_imageset_03

It looks like I could adapt that mount to my V-Strom without too much trouble.

Lockable case, but not at all stealthy. I don't think I'd have much trouble with that riding to the 2 ranges I usually shoot at, but YMMV.

I've seen a case from Kolpin mounted on bikes before.

Or the Cabelas variant:

s7_523287_imageset_03

It looks like I could adapt that mount to my V-Strom without too much trouble.

Lockable case, but not at all stealthy. I don't think I'd have much trouble with that riding to the 2 ranges I usually shoot at, but YMMV.

[smile] Nice case! Pretty sure it would get noticed in a hurry, though. Just another reason to get stopped on my bike.

I just bungie my Walller SoftSafe to the luggage rack, with the handles wrapped around the backrest for a failsafe. I prefer Chris' method, though. Wish I could fit a rack like that on the beemer, but it'd get in the way of the hard bags.

Back
Top Bottom