Motorcycle Carry?

Don’t like to, because it may cause additional injury on a crash, has to be secured if you go to a hospital, and may take too long to deploy from the bike, from a pocket.

I keep pepper spray handy.

Shoulder rig is my preferred method, no issues with carrying full-size.
Then either leg bag or fanny pack with integrated holster for compacts.
Don’t like kidney carry, as having big metal object so close to my spine in case of accident.
Appendix carry is not comfortable on longer rides.

I don't recommend anyone ever carry on body when on two wheels. A buddy went down with a 16.9 oz water inside his jacket, and ended up rupturing his spleen. Imagine the damage a gun would do if you were to ever go down on a bike. I carry in a bag, inside my saddle bag.

If I was carrying in my usual way, I would be a para or quadriplegic. I liked to carry SOB when I was younger. I was hit by a truck turning left in front of me, bike stopped and I didn't. Up and over the truck. Landed splat on my back, no roll, and fractured it and my wrist. I then went to pocket carry in the leather riding coat, (resewn to like new by Walter Dyer [thumbsup]).

Try a small tank bag with side-release buckles and carry sling. You can take the tank bag with you when you get off the bike and its easy enough to carry the tank bag slung over your shoulder. Easy access while riding, and no risk of rolling around with a gun against your body in an unanticipated get-off.

I ride a Vtx 1800. (Given so a riding position can be attained) I am also a big guy.
I have two preferred Methods while riding.
Another note I am capable of shooting left or right handed and use that when it suits.

My favorite way is a OWB leather holster with a retention strap to ensure it doesn’t get jostled out while riding. I also do not worry about someone seeing it. With that said I do try my best to keep it concealed I have a vest and jacket I wear and they keep my carry concealed 99% of the time.
As stupid as it sounds I also carry it on the left side so it can be accessed while still controlling speed of bike.

My second method is a pocket holster and placed into my inside vest pocket. I have two vests one with a big leather rectangle pocket and another that has a dedicated pocket for concealed carry. However the dedicated pocket doesn’t hold my carry to well due to its size. It fits but is snug.

I did have problems with that. The gun was a H&R single with the "clip on" fore end which I shortened. I fired a round with buckshot. The gun ended up pointing straight up and the hammer punched a hole in the web of my hand. I was holding the fore end in my other hand. Several turns of duct tape fixed that. The next one was a 16 ga with the fore end held on with a screw. My sons did the test firing with that one. Jack.

Win. [laugh]

I’m currently on a ride. Florida to Texas to South Dakota and Wyoming and now am on my way back to Florida, then fly back to MA. In Tulsa tonite and through Arkansas tomorrow. This trip, a G-19 with an IWB kydex with a retention strap. This one works best for me. I’ve tried a few other set-ups with mostly Sigs, cuz I like them, but I like this set up best. You need to field strip and wipe down with a silicone cloth at the end of the day (you might not NEED to, but that’s what I do) because it’s been hot like you wouldn’t believe, 90’s all day in full sun. Best, mannydog.

I used to ride to IDPA and USPSA shoots. I had ammo, muffs etc as well as a handgun--usually a full size auto.
I packed it all in my saddle bags but put a note in my wallet with my license to inform officers, if I was in a wreck, that there was a gun and ammo in the bags. I figured in a wreck the gun could fly off of me or make injuries worse.

First time my wife went to Phoenix to visit her aunt. They were headed out to the Canyon or something. Wife is driving aunt's truck. Motorcycle pulls up. Rider has a shotgun strapped to his back. She looks over at aunt. Aunt leans over. "Welcome to Arizona!"

Back
Top Bottom