Most ridiculous gun article I've ever read.

I've read some really bad, misinformed, biased, false gun related articles over the years, but this one sets a new standard for poor journalism...

5 men arrested as police raid Algiers complex
Bust turns up drugs, powerful assault rifle
Wednesday, July 12, 2006
By Trymaine Lee

Acting on a tip, a New Orleans police SWAT team trapped an attempted murder suspect in Algiers' Fischer public housing complex and ran into one of the most dangerous weapons on the streets: the Chinese- and Russian-made SKS rifle.

Police arrested Anthony Thomas, 18, who is suspected of gunning down a man in April, as he was hanging out with a group in which another man was carrying the SKS.

Equipped with a folding bayonet and armor-piercing rounds, the rifle is a cheap and highly effective weapon -- the predecessor of the AK-47 -- that can blast through engine blocks as easily as it can bones, said Louis Faust, one of nearly 20 NOPD tactical officers who arrested five people, including Thomas.

Police got a tip from an informant about 1 p.m. that Thomas, suspected in an April shooting in the 2300 block of Murl Street in Algiers, was seen with a group of men at Fischer.

The SWAT team crept into a courtyard at the complex in the 2000 block of Leboeuf Street and the men loitering, one brazenly holding the SKS, NOPD Lt. Dwayne Scheuremann said.

The team set upon the group of five, who took off running. Soon, the man with the rifle tossed it along with a stash of crack cocaine, Scheuremann said. Another man in the group ditched a .45 caliber pistol and two bundles of heroin, he said.

All five men were arrested. Thomas, who had a pending warrant, was booked Monday with two counts of illegally carrying a weapon, possession of obliterated serial number, drug possession and resisting an officer.

NOPD did not release the charges for the other four men.

Scheuremann said drug dealers and a weapon like an SKS are a dangerous mix.

The SKS sells for as little as $100 in the streets and is highly accurate, Faust said. And the high-caliber ammunition it uses is meant for maximum bodily damage.

Faust said the steel core bullets used in an SKS strike the body then follow bone, so a bullet can "enter your shoulder and come out of your toe."

"You can see what these officers face every day," Deputy Chief John Bryson said, standing over the guns and drugs seized during Tuesday's arrests.

Scheuremann said many drug dealers have returned to the Fischer complex to sell heroin, which he says has emerged as the most popular drug in that section of the city.

In a Fischer courtyard, police said the ground is littered with bullets where people either were exchanging gunfire or shooting up an abandoned car they found pocked with bullet holes.

"What you see here is not just in the Fischer," Scheurmann said, pointing to the SKS. "The shame of it is there are a lot of good people out there who see people with weapons like this, and they're scared. With drug dealers out with these, what can they do?"

http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/metro/index.ssf?/base/news-15/1152685594130100.xml&coll=1

that can blast through engine blocks as easily as it can bones, said Louis Faust, one of nearly 20 NOPD tactical officers

I'll have some of what he's smoking, thank you! [rolleyes]

Faust said the steel core bullets used in an SKS strike the body then follow bone, so a bullet can "enter your shoulder and come out of your toe."

Wow, bullets that can turn 90deg, follow a bone, go thru joints, make at least one more 90deg turn at the ankle and come out your toe! He should notify the Pentagon immediately, they could really use this sort of ammo!

I suspect that this joker has either watched too many James Bond movies or suffers greatly from all that polluted water that was in NOLA for so long!

Hey thanks for pointing that out LenS! I'm tired and totally skipped over the armor piercing part. Sounds like recent production Russian surplus to me, I'm gonna have to fly down there, buy a couple cases and come back here and sell them for a premium price...by the way that's sarcasm for anyone lurking on the board.

First of all Algiers is one scary place. I used to drink with a NOLA cop and he said that they won't go into the Algiers Projects with less than 3 units, even if it was an emergency.

....but that's besides the point

...ran into one of the most dangerous weapons on the streets: the Chinese- and Russian-made SKS rifle.

From all the other articles I've read, I thought that this went to the .50 BMG. It's good to know that they were wrong.

I don't even have an SKS, but I did have acouple of rounds of ammunition, and one of those bastards chased me up the stairs and tried to bite my ankle!!! I got rid of that dangerous stuff pronto.

...and here I was thinking "Fully Automatic Revolvers" were the most dangerous !

a bullet can "enter your shoulder and come out of your toe."
I don't know what theis idiot is drinkin'/smokin' but I want some !

Somebody please confiscate Trymaine Lee's computer, pens, pencils, and restrict him to the use of crayons until he learns the difference between a "News article" and a "Story".

"The shame of it is there are a lot of good people out there who see people with weapons like this, and they're scared. With drug dealers out with these, what can they do?"

Um, get some weapons of their own?

LoginName said:
one of the most dangerous weapons on the streets: the Chinese- and Russian-made SKS rifle.

Woohoo! I just got one yesterday. Little did I know what kind of a monster I have on my hands. I'll keep a close eye on it to be sure it doesn't go rampaging through the streets.

MrTwigg said:
I don't know what theis idiot is drinkin'/smokin' but I want some!

Count me in for that good stuff, too!
22a.gif

I can't believe the shoulder/toe statement. That was funny as hell. Too bad that people now believe that bullets are capable of all sorts of previously physically impossible maneuvers. I'm going to get some of that ammo and go on the road with the circus.

Ok, it's official, no bone following, out your toe ammo will be able to be used in the Fall Shootout. I will wear my steel toed safety shoes, just in case someone sneaks a round in.

But let's make a statement - BRING ALL THE SKS'S you can carry ! Mine will be there.[laugh]

tele_mark said:
My SKS ammo is so dangerous, that I once shot at a water jug on the ground, and the bullet traveled up through the berm and hit a rope 15 feet in the air.....

A likely story!! [rolleyes]

You forgot to pay-off everyone that was there when you did that! [devil]

In all honesty, his shoulder/toe comment has some credibility if you think about it. He's just woefully naive. I mean, there are cases of migrating bullets due to being lodged in a blood vessel. He's probably heard stories of a bullet going in a leg and winding up in a lung and just doesn't understand the physiology behind it. [rolleyes]

"That must be a mighty pow'rful bullet to gits itself from a leg to a lung, huh boss?" [rolleyes]

I'd guess that officer Faust hasn't pissed into a plastic cup recently. Whatever he's using must do some really serious games with the brain.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom