• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MoSt Fun Caliber to shoot? (Not for defense!)

Favorite Caliber to Shoot

• Total voters
.38spl it's cheap and easy to reload, it's available for sale everywhere, there are a ton of unique projectiles and most firearms can handle a variety of "fun loads", plenty of rifles AND pistols are chambered in it, they tend to be fun guns (levers, SA wheel guns, DA wheel guns) and have enough pop and flame and zing to feel like a "real gun". Also a really fun and quiet when suppressed. Two rifles, two pistols, some home made "battleship" targets, or a deck of cards, or a bunch of Necco wafers glued to a piece of cardboard, and you can plink all day out of a single bucket with a friend.

I love 22s but they can be kind of unsatisfying of "fun" due to the low recoil, and nature of the ammo and design of some firearms leads to more frequent duds and malfunctions.

I don't mind 9mm for "fun" but I just don't find it as satisfying to shoot... I tend to shoot a lot more and hit a lot less, even when I leave the Uzi, MAC and Lusa at home.

none of the one's listed, such as 454 Casall (even with a 45LC)
So the most popular cowboy caliber isn't even listed....wow

Last edited:
When I was a Newbie to this sport / lifestyle, nearly 50 years ago, I would have answered .22lr. Visiting family farm on North Dakota, and learning to shoot .22lr from bolt action rifle with my grandpa and dad is one of my fondest memories. Fast forward to today, I'd say I like 9mm the best, for both handgun and carbine shooting. The rest of the shooters in my family however, cant seem to like anything but the good old .22lr. That is ok with me - as long as they like to shoot, enjoy time on the range and oh yeah, its cheap!!

I voted .45 because a steel 1911 is just an all around fun time, but there is something really nice about the .22. Rifles and especially pistols are wicked fun when you can rip through 10 shots with little recoil.

Something pretty high on my wish list is a .22 revolver.

5EFF4CE1-4CAD-43D8-8FD6-495E29819A04.jpeg
7.62x39mm in the AR platform. Cheap to shoot especially with the $99 cases I bought many years ago. Add an adjustable gas block and incredible accuracy can also be realized.

Sooooooooo much more fun than the puny 5.56, haha! The “308 Short” I call it. ... too bad good, reliable magazines are the weak link in the -39mm AR platform. Thankfully I have good ones!

I like shooting my rifles in .22lr, 5.56 & .308. Handguns in .22LR (conversion for 1911), 9mm, .38/.357, and .45acp.

For shear 'fun' I love shooting .38spl in single action mode with my S&W Model 66. The trigger is like butter. I shoot it more accurately than my semi-automatics, and it's just a joy to handle, un/reload, and fire a revolver. With semi-automatics, you load the magazine. With a revolver, you load the GUN, so you're handling it, spinning the cylinder, etc. It's a more organic experience than using a semi-automatic pistol, if that's an apt description. .38spl is mild, but satisfying enough. And of course running .357 magnum through it can satisfy that desire for recoil. I have yet to shoot .38spl+p through it.

Last edited:
How can anyone have a favorite?

It depends on the day. But unless I’ve got s big reloading session scheduled, I never think in terms of caliber. I think in terms of firearm/weapons system/“platform,” whatever your preferred term. On any given day, I feel like different things.

But they’re all “fun.” If they’re not, I don’t keep the gun.

In a bizarre cycle of life, I find the most enjoyable round I shoot now has returned to the same one I enjoyed as a kid: .22LR.

I’ve got numerous pistols, SBRs, and rifles in .22, in damn near every configuration imaginable: ‘scoped, red-dot’d, iron-sighted, suppressed and unsuppressed, revolvers and autos...that there’s no way I can’t find something fun to shoot on any range for about $.04 a round.

Ad much as I love the .22lr and have many guns chambered for it, the most fun we have is with two ammo cans of .38 special loaded up with 158gr semi wadcutters. Three revolvers, two lever guns, and lots of steel out to 200 yards

In a bizarre cycle of life, I find the most enjoyable round I shoot now has returned to the same one I enjoyed as a kid: .22LR.

I’ve got numerous pistols, SBRs, and rifles in .22, in damn near every configuration imaginable: ‘scoped, red-dot’d, iron-sighted, suppressed and unsuppressed, revolvers and autos...that there’s no way I can’t find something fun to shoot on any range for about $.04 a round.

Try one of these

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rfJy4exPFE

On any given day, I feel like different things.

But they’re all “fun.” If they’re not, I don’t keep the gun.

Agreed. Sometimes 22lr out of an accurate rifle at 100 yards because I'm on the mood to practice fundamentals. Other times 340gr hardcast Buffalo Bore out of the SuperRedhawk 44mag.

Lol OK, most times BOTH!

Back
Top Bottom