• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Most friendly place to hold firearms training courses

Good evening everyone. I have explored multiple ranges and have yet to find a range that is accepting of renting space for training courses. I’m not new to this but I keep getting pushback. Does anyone know of any ranges in MA that are friendly to training? Looking for outside, freedom of movement, transition from rifle to pistol, class size of 12.

Most ranges are Clubs. Most Clubs are private, Members-only sorts of places. The commercial ranges probably have their own instructors and classes.

My Club holds LTC courses, but not for the financial benefit of the instructors (all volunteer); the $ that's raised goes to the Club.

I'm guessing that most places have a similar attitude: why should the Club incur the loss of range availability, wear and tear, etc. for the benefit of an individual, especially a non-Member? Not trying to be a Richard, but this subject comes up about once a year.

Hell, if I had to wait to shoot on the range my dues pay for, because some non-member is hosting a class, I'd be pounding the table at the Monthly and BoD meetings, and I'm about as mellow as you can get. [laugh]

Most ranges are Clubs. Most Clubs are private, Members-only sorts of places. The commercial ranges probably have their own instructors and classes.

My Club holds LTC courses, but not for the financial benefit of the instructors (all volunteer); the $ that's raised goes to the Club.

I'm guessing that most places have a similar attitude: why should the Club incur the loss of range availability, wear and tear, etc. for the benefit of an individual, especially a non-Member? Not trying to be a Richard, but this subject comes up about once a year.

Hell, if I had to wait to shoot on the range my dues pay for, because some non-member is hosting a class, I'd be pounding the table at the Monthly and BoD meetings, and I'm about as mellow as you can get. [laugh]

All of this. Hell, I get pissy when they shut my range down for member events, nevermind an outsider event.

Mister Happy nailed it.

Also, how would clubs start to pick and choose between instructors? Once you open the door for one, people are going to bitch if they arent allowed to teach as well so it is not worth the hassle to open the door in the first place.

The ranges should let the instructor who is willing to pay and contribute to the range. This is exactly what I’m talking about. We are supposed to be a community and help each other right. You go out west and you find ranges that hold awesome courses all the time. So does no one think they could use training courses? I’m not talking about just basic pistol courses. I’m working on building combat pistol and carbine courses as well as combat casualty care. I am a member of Harvard and offered to pay to rent the range for a block of time. Keep in mind it would only be one bay. Obviously im not looking for a range that requires you to shoot from cover. I’ve been told Pelham or Londonderry. I’m not a member at either of those but I’d be willing to join(yes I know Londonderry has a 1 year wait).

Class size of 12 and 1 bay?
This ??

Reality is that clubs are for members and unless they have a dedicated training range, members bitch like crazy when they show up and find a range down for a training class run by a business.

So clubs aren't gung ho about allowing a member to join for the purposes of running their training business and shutting out members use even if it is only for a day per month, regardless of the instructor paying to use the facility.
And towns aren't willing to allow existing clubs to expand their ranges by building new ones for training purposes either.
We're just in the wrong part of the country for that.

There are also insurance aspects to consider here. If a member injures another, that is one thing. If a member injures a third party, or vice versa, or the the third party injures themselves on club grounds, it becomes murkier. It is just unlikely worth the exposure from a liability issue for the club.

Of the two clubs I belong to. One allows instructors to use the outside ranges if reserved in advance. The other club runs LTC classes. They will not allow any club member to run any other type of training if they profit from them. So if you pay to get certified as an instructor, get insurance and buy whatever training material or aids you need and even just try to recoup your cost, forget it! Several have tried and offered a percentage of the class fees to no avail.
But they allow non members to run classes after paying a fee.

I believe Worcester Pistol & Rifle club allows instruction but you would need to verify.

Of the two clubs I belong to. One allows instructors to use the outside ranges if reserved in advance. The other club runs LTC classes. They will not allow any club member to run any other type of training if they profit from them. So if you pay to get certified as an instructor, get insurance and buy whatever training material or aids you need and even just try to recoup your cost, forget it! Several have tried and offered a percentage of the class fees to no avail.
But they allow non members to run classes after paying a fee.

Which range allows you to hold classes after paying a fee? You can reply in a private message if you want.

While we would not be able to accommodate the op we do allow outside instructors to use our ranges. I believe the only hitch is that they are limited to one lane. I believe we can make our classrooms available as well. I don't believe we charge much for the use.

steve

While we would not be able to accommodate the op we do allow outside instructors to use our ranges. I believe the only hitch is that they are limited to one lane. I believe we can make our classrooms available as well. I don't believe we charge much for the use.

steve

How about bailing out GOAL and the women's group in lieu of what BassPro/Cabela's did then?

Concerning instructors using our ranges I just confirmed that we don't charge anything additional over our regular lane fee which is $25 per person for a day of shooting (no hourly limits).

Our classrooms are available but using one would need to be arranged with the office.

steve

That’s great to know for beginner classes. I’m specifically looking to do more than just stand in a lane though. Hard to get better and push yourself and others to the point of failure if all you’re doing is standing still in a lane.

Concerning instructors using our ranges I just confirmed that we don't charge anything additional over our regular lane fee which is $25 per person for a day of shooting (no hourly limits).

Our classrooms are available but using one would need to be arranged with the office.

steve

I don't know where the Merrimack Valley is, I'm in the Pioneer Valley. I was going to say my local club, Norwottuck F&G hosts at least one guy that has a biz that conducts training/LTC courses there.
Probably much too far for you though.

Back
Top Bottom