Most effective Gun Owners Association?

I'm not sure about the NRA anymore. They haven't served us intelligently over the last few months.

Just wondering - what is the most effective Gun Support organization?
In Mass and nationally?

If you wanted to support one organization - who would it be?

There's too much going on right now for any one organization.

I support NRA, GOAL, Comm2A, & NES. SAF, JPFO and many others are also deserving of support.

Not to sound preachy, [laugh2]but support yourself to be the most effective gun owner, by having your firearms and ammo in order and safe, know how to take them apart so where you know enough to give informed answers to those who don't, reload, study the history of gun control and disarmament, know your local laws as best you can, write your politicians, and let the not perfect gun groups provide you with help where they can. Help unify gun owners and not get into fragmentation and ego trips that weakens our 2A natural rights. NRA, GOAL, Comm2A etc are as strong as their weakest, dumbass member, so don't be that guy. As gun owners we are all political in this current dark era that seeks to destroy our freedom, so support yourself the best you can, and you will make any gun group stronger by your focused energy and membership.

It'd be a tie between SAF & GOA. SAF for the legislation and GOA for actually telling us what is in any bill in DC that pertains to guns. We are Life Members of both.

It'd be a tie between SAF & GOA. SAF for the legislation and GOA for actually telling us what is in any bill in DC that pertains to guns. We are Life Members of both.

I would add that we are also Life Members of the NRA. While we believe they are far too squishy on the 2A, they are the 800 lb gorilla that has an important role in putting the brakes on certain things, getting the largest numbers of voters informed and engaged, and serving as a lightning rod. They are not enough by a long shot, but for all their compromising, political games, and historical Fuddery, they are a useful tool.

We are also members of organizations that focus on subcomponents of the fight for gun rights (i.e. .50 caliber, NFA, etc). These groups do a good job of pecking away at the fringes.

Support as many as you can.

Here's my take on the question:

NRA - as Nicole says, they are the 800# gorilla that scares Congress and that is a good thing. When push comes to shove, they are too willing to compromise the rights of those of us who believe in owning guns for self-defense, in favor of protecting bullseye/hunter gun owners.

SAF - top notch court cases (e.g. Heller, etc.) in Federal Court to make substantive changes in the anti-gun laws nationally.

Comm2A - MA org bringing Federal cases forward to make substantive changes in the MA anti-gun laws. Work with SAF in this mission. [They are a parallel org to GOAL, the charters of both are different from each other and attack the problem from different directions.]

GOAL - charter is strictly to work with legislation (NOT litigation, see Comm2A for that) in trying to change gun laws. Realize that we do not have enough elected friends in the state house or enough members to have the clout to truly accomplish this. GOAL is very good at PREVENTING more laws from passing that would further erode what few gun "rights" we have in MA.

My Wife and I are life members of NRA, GOAL and SAF plus monthly contributors to Comm2A!

Back
Top Bottom