Mossberg Repair?

Question from the husband:

This concerns my Mossberg New Haven 600AT 12 gauge pump shotgun (I bought it new in the late 1970s/early 1980s)

The problem is that the gun has been sitting unused for years (but still in very good condition), and when I finally got around to trying to put it back into service (just a week ago), the safety was stuck. When I tried to force the safety, the plastic thumb slide safety broke and the metal part is now free floating. In an attempt to repair, I took the gun apart (something I used to do regularly and successfully for cleaning), but could not even put it back together again. I'm not sure what has happened.

So how do I get this fixed? I went on to the Mossberg site and started filling out a service request, but the New Haven 600AT isn't even listed! (Their Web site has a page for legacy guns, but it basically tells you that you're on your own.)

Does anyone know of a good gunsmith on Cape Cod who is adept with shotguns (preferably Mossberg)? Should I buy a new receiver? Is this is even worth the effort and cost?

Many thanks.

Most common Mossberg failure. The safety button replacements are metal now. Brownells, Midwsy, etc., has them. The new part may require changing the detent spring too as it may be too short. The spring needs to be fitted so the safety moves easily. This is easy to do. Just keep trying to put the gun back together, consult YouTube.

Missing the part where the OP took the gun appart and can't get it back together.
I don't know any one local to cape cod.
http://www.rustbluing.com would most likely get you back up and running.

The 500 is a pretty simple platform. Find some parts diagrams and give it another try.

Back
Top Bottom