• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mossberg Nighttrain atr

Might be interested in a night-train i've seen them under 500 bucks.

interested in a long range bolt action because i now will have access to 100 - 300 yd ranges.

Any other WELL equipped rifles i should look at? thoughts on the nighttrain?

Night Train...

8752.jpg

I have one in .308 win
not a bad rifle
on that note I just broke the extractor on mine at the range today
best advice I can give you save up a bit more and get a remington 700

I've shot one a while ago. Friggin lameass stick. I keep giving the same advice here over and over: get the Savage 11VT at Dick's for around $550. It'll beat the snot out of the Nightrain any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Night Train...

8752.jpg
I want to strangle you and set your remains on fire. A Nightrain is a softail EVO or Twinky, with a black powder coated motor. Your pic is an old AMF (horrible) Superglide shovel. Bad Enbloc, bad.

Okay so maybe this will help some too...

My expected maximum distance is 300 yds at this time. (why i want .308 over .338 or .44mag)

I am looking to buy a complete, rifle and scope ready to go.

I have a short reach and long stocks would be uncomfortable.

(why I liked the nighttrain rifle)

The remington 700's i've heard have a lot of failures with handles breaking and extractors?

The savage from dicks I heard was a dicks exclusive, wouldn't you expect that to have issues? probably some over priced, watered down quality savage?

The only mossberg worth a dime is the mav88/500/590 pump shotgun. I own a mossberg MVP in.223 and its cool cuz it uses AR mags....if it didnt use AR mags it would have a new owner.

sorry but mossberg rifles just kinda suck in comparison to their competition. I agree the savage model 10 and 11 series are awesome...for a .308 I would go that route or one of the many established bolt gun platforms.

Mossberg makes awesome shotguns. I love their shotguns. I rely on a Mossberg 500 pump action shotgun for the defense of my home and family.

I love their shotguns.

that said

I've shot the night train. found the action and trigger to be so so....the scope included in the package was decent, but for the money, you can save a hair more and get a used Remington 700. Honestly, I found that a scoped Mosin-Nagant was a better shooter.

OP - if your search leads you to a Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle, let me know.

I've got one with barely a hundred rounds (probably more like 70, total) through it. I put a Leatherwood Hi-Lux 2 - 7x long-eye-relief scope on it, mounted forward of the chamber for both eyes open shooting, using Weaver low-mount QD rings.

Has three 1/2" spacers which can be added to the buttstock to adjust length of pull. Comes with standard (metal) ten-round mag, plus two additional polymer ten-rounders.

Maybe a bit more than you were thinking of spending. I'll be asking $950 OBO with the scope, rings, and extra mags. I'll even include a sling & some burly Uncle Mike's swivels, and a 'starter pack' of assorted .308/7.62 ammo (25 rounds).

Absolutely NOTHING wrong with this rifle. It's everything it's advertised to be. I just find I prefer semi-automatic rifles with higher magnification (I built a .308 AR with Nikon 4 - 16x scope)

I want to strangle you and set your remains on fire. A Nightrain is a softail EVO or Twinky, with a black powder coated motor. Your pic is an old AMF (horrible) Superglide shovel. Bad Enbloc, bad.

Actually Frenchman, that IS a 1971 FX Supergilde NightTrain... They came in BLACK too.

FX-Super-Glide-Night-Train-Original-Front-Fork-Suspension-519x389.jpg

You're both right? AMF owned HD from 69 to 81 and HD's quality and reputation tanked even further during that time.

I talked to a shop i frequent today and found a nice setup at a price i can afford. Ordered a Savage arms .308 16series trophy has a nikon 3-9x40 scope. accu-trigger i believe, and stainless barrel.

The remington 700's i've heard have a lot of failures with handles breaking and extractors?

The savage from dicks I heard was a dicks exclusive, wouldn't you expect that to have issues? probably some over priced, watered down quality savage?
Nope, classic 10 action, standard Savage heavy barrel. Accutrigger, but no accustock. The scope it comes with will make a pellet gun weep, but the rifle itself is fine.

Again guys "
I talked to a shop i frequent today and found a nice setup at a price i can afford. Ordered a Savage arms .308 16series trophy has a nikon 3-9x40 scope. accu-trigger i believe, and stainless barrel."

Thanks for the help and input

On a more positive note, Mossberg makes some seriously small caliber rifles with some seriously LARGE muzzle brakes [laugh] They seriously had rimfire rifles with Barrett looking breaks until recently.

Back
Top Bottom